The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT- Wolves vs. Heat Weekend

Ryan Murray

Does he on the site it says Coho has 3 assists in 3 games, and Kassian has 2 goals 1 assist.

Either way Kassian and Coho are close in points, and Kassian is bringing all the others things that Coho can't aswell as pretty much the same production (with more finish).

I agree, he is Definitely silencing the Haters. :towel::canucks::emot-parrot:

Well... it's hard comparing two different players with different style of play and different positions.

We probably don't know the little things Hodgson has done. Maybe he is trusted with key faceoffs, perhaps he's being defensively reliable in his own zone and also not taking any bad penalties.

I'm happy that Kassian is play well, but this whole "With us or against us!" mentality is kinda pathetic.

Hi everyone! I watched the game from about 10 mins into the 1st period.

Here's my take on how the player performed, if you care enough to read my ramblings:

E. Lack - Grade: A+

Great game overall. Looked big in the net and made some key saves when the Wolves were running around in their own zone. Nice point blank and glove saves saves tonight. Can't really fault him for the PP goals. Absolutely STELLAR in the shootout.

Y. Sauve - Grade: B-

Had a very solid start to the game. Very strong and physical with the Heat forwards. Made less of an impact as the game progressed. I want more from Sauve.

P. Andersson - Grade: B-

Solid effort overall. Sometimes absolutely rock solid, and other times prone to being beat out wide. Nice reach and you can tell he is a smart player. Effectively tied up opponents along the boards and I don't think I counted a single (glaring) bad pinch tonight. Relatively impressed by his defensive game tonight.

K. Connauton - Grade: B

Absolute bomb of a shot. Too bad it was blocked most of the night. The kid has flair that much is obvious. Really nice acceleration and rushes out of his own zone. However he's now been caught a couple times with a lazy stick in his own zone and his positioning could also use some work. It is my hope that Tanev shows him a thing or two about positioning and smart stick work, since we all know neither are overly physical, and Connauton can return the favor by showing Tanev how to shoot the damn puck. All that being said I've watched Connauton since we drafted him and I feel like his defensive game is improving. Case in point - a one on one situation which he played particularly well going down at the right moment to block the shot. Really nice play.

Overall the entire D corps was caught flat-footed on multiple occasions allowing the Heat forwards to split them and go in alone on Lack. After getting burned a couple times you'd think they'd try to adjust. I felt like they were giving up their blue line far too easily allowing the Heat players to break in with speed.

D. Joslin - Grade: C+

Steady enough, but unspectacular. Don't feel he rushed the puck particularly well. Still trying to feel this player out. I'm trying to figure out what he does really well, if anything.

S. Pinizzotto - Grade: C+

Threw some fantastic hits and had a solid forecheck tonight, but for the most part that was the extent of his effectiveness. His hitting tends to take him out of position. He threw a good hit tonight on the PK but the Heat scored right after. Not saying that it was entirely his fault or anything, just that the Heat had lots of ice to work with near the blueline because he was pasting a guy at the boards. I'd say pass on that gamble next time.

A. Gordon - Grade: C+

Worked hard with Longpre to make that goal happen. Did a decent job in his own zone. Otherwise relatively quiet. Tough night in the faceoff circle for the boys tonight overall.

C. Tanev - Grade: B

Classic Tanev. Solid game in his own end but I didn't see much offense there tonight. Struggled to get shots through, but like you'd expect he makes a nice first pass and makes the right play the majority of the time. Bobbled the puck out there a few times. I want to see more out of him. I would say he's off to a slow start this season.

A. Rodin - Grade: C

I'm rooting for Anton. Believe me I am. I desperately want him to become the player I think he can be. He didn't have a great game tonight. Yes he had some strong work along the boards but it's pretty apparent that he needs to get bigger still. The only reason I'm rating Schroeder higher than Rodin here is because he looked confident carrying the puck and he used his speed through the neutral zone whereas Rodin did not. I want to see him use his speed and his quick hands to attack the opposition D and back them down much like the Heat did to our guys tonight. His shots were off target tonight and he lost too many races in his own zone. I'm hoping that this is just a slow start. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who was so incredible at the world juniors, based on his game tonight.

J. Schroeder - Grade: C+

Brutal night on the draws. Got creamed in the neutral zone and to his credit got right back up. Liked that he was willing to carry the puck. Didn't get nearly enough shots tonight. He's got a nice release and I would have liked to see him use it more. For his small stature I didn't think he was bullied around too much out there. He's obviously very strong on his skates. Plenty of room for improvement. Cool as a cucumber in the shootout.

B. Sweatt - Grade: F

Absolutely unacceptable. Made nothing significant happen. I think I recall his name called once, maybe twice. I almost noticed Climie more.

A. Ebbett - Grade: B+

Nice assist and vision on the Kassian goal. Liked his game overall. Played smart hockey out there.

A. Friesen - Grade: D / Incomplete

Worked hard and competed. Had a couple hits. I didn't notice him otherwise because he didn't have much ice time.

Z. Kassian - Grade: A+

Goal, fight (I'd give him the decision on that one), surprisingly deft puck control in the offensive zone, and some strong hits / board play. Lovely little backhand deke on the shootout goal. Looks faster out there. He was engaged all night. Everything I want from Kassian was on display. I hope he can find some chemistry with Rodin and whoever centers them.

T. Matson - Grade: D / Incomplete

Worked hard and competed. During one shift he outworked his opponents and won a prolonged puck battle in his own zone. I didn't notice him otherwise because he didn't have much ice time.

Archived