The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets exercise our underestimated power

MajorPenalty

Feeling Frustrated? Fighting Lockout Induced Boredom (A new syndrome shortened to LIB)? Mild Anger? Can't decide who to blame?

Well now you don't have to!

Strike back with a Buy Nothing Campaign.

Seriously, Brothers and Sisters.

What I am proposing is not a great epiphany, of course, but I simply propose that we, as a canuck nation, tell the league and the players that we DO have a rather large stake in this silly pissing contest called CBA negotiations.

Until the opening of an uninterupted training camp next September or later,we buy no new Canucks merchandise.

Most Canuck fans already have a few jerseys, hats, flags,snuggies, scarf for your beagle, etc. etc.

Why invest in more? Spend that money on a day out with your kids, go to a Giants/Lions/Whitecaps/Heat/whatever game;),take your wife/gf, husband b/f out, whatever. 2012-2013 may be the season that isnt, so thier profits should reflect that.

The second part of my proposal is that we break this so-called sellout streak at Roger's Arena when hockey finally does return.

Hypothetically, if a miracle happens and there is hockey in November and you are considering buying a ticket when it returns, don't.

Bake a batch of your famous 7 cheese nachos and go over to your buddy Steve's and watch it on his 100'' screen.

If your boss wants to purchase corporate seats or have a function, try and dissuade them.

If there are 13,000 people in a nearly 19,000 seat arena, they may notice.

I am aware that this would really only affect the canuck's ownership and players, which is why I encourage you to talk to that goofy Flames fan next door or the dilusional Leaf's fan in the padded room across the hall, the oh-so-annoying Blackhawks fan on your rec. team, that one guy at college who supports the Panthers, though noone really knows why....

Anyway, I realize this may all happen anyway, but I would simply ask you to think twice when considering purchasing any new NHL swag.

I will always love the Canucks and hockey, I just don't like them as much as I used to.

Forgive my ramblings, but you now see the sad effects of a severe case of L.I.B.

Peace

Just bought a brand new Nucks toque for me and for both my daughters, thanks NHL for making great qualtiy merchandise for me to buy, and keep my family warm. That Giroux jersey Ive been wanting is next.....good luck in your efforts, have a swell day now.

Find something else to do with your time. Check out the AHL games today if you wish. But wasting time thinking and worrying about the lockout is silly. It really has nothing to do with any of us, and any amount of bitching and worrying on our part does nothing. Don't get yourself worked out about it.

The majority of people in the world spent too much time concerned about stuff that has nothing to do with them at all. Go find something to better yourself today, or have fun, go help somebody, etc. And hey, by doing that, you are also not giving your hard earned dollars to Bettman or Aquilini.

-Jagori

It may not have much influence on the whole situation. However I think the fans have a lot more power than people may think; the only problem is there is no nhl fans union. We have the power to influence what they expect the growth to be over the next few years. We have the power to make them all make less money.

I think it would be more useful if Canucks fans united and took a stand and did not go to the games like the op stated. If enough fans got involved and I believe this is a city that is passionate enough to do it and didnt attend games when its back, and we didnt buy concessions, merch, and all those things that rip apart our wallets and bleed us average working folk dry just to see a game that we so desparately love. Then we could get somewhere. We could demand ticket prices to lower or else we wont attend. Our own lock out so to speak. Stand up for what we beleive in.

It may seem difficult to get every teams fans on board but really all you need is the 10 money making teams fans on board, the ones who actually care the most, the ones that are most affected and hurt by all of this BS, and the ones who spend the most on an annual basis. If the Fans of the Canucks, Leafs, Canadiens, Rangers, Flyers, Wings, Hawks, Bruins, Penguins, and Kings, all were on board or atleast an army from each it would really hurt the league. Remember these 10 teams are the teams that would be sharing revenue with the weaker teams so if we hit the big teams in the pocket books we can influence our power to cover the whole league.

In otherwords, the op is right in a lot of ways. Right now it might seem ridiculous but if we are nearing December and there is still no hockey, more fans will be fed up and willing to jump on board and forget buying nhl merchandise as christmas gifts which is where big money is made for the league.

Amen to that brother. I absolutely could not agree with you more. The players and the owners shouldn't forget that we are their livelihood and that they work for the fans. We pay for their mansions and fancy cars. I already made up my mind at the beginning of this lockout, there is no way in hell I am buying any NHL/Canucks merchandise for this season. It starts with one person, and I commend you for your post.

Archived