#1 Lemieux

Lemieux

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

$97.91/sec

That's how much Ovechkin brings back to Siberia for every second he is on the ice. (Assuming that he plays for 82 games at 19:48TOI/game)

A family of four with mid-level seats, parking, some hotdogs can expect to spend close to $1000.

These are great hockey players, but I don't think the ticket prices need to be so high to fund their absurd salaries. You just hate listening to Kypreos when he says the lockout will cause financial hardship. Gee, if they fold the NHL, we can bring back the WHA or just watch the AHL. The AHL is actually not that bad.

Edited by Lemieux, 20 October 2012 - 12:04 PM.

This signature is not blank.

#2 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

POPULAR

It doesn't matter if they don't deserve to be paid that much. People are willing to pay, therefore that's what they get paid. Welcome to the free market.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#3 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

THE SALARIES AREN'T THE REASON OF TICKET PRICES! DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND? IF 50,000 PEOPLE WANT TO GO TO ONE GAME AND THERE ARE 19,000 SEATS OF COURSE PRICES WILL BE HIGH
Posted Image

#4 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

:picard:

Posted Image

#5 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

The tickets cost what they do because the owners want to make more money. It has nothing to do with player salaries.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#6 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,636 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

POPULAR

There is no correlation between how good the players are and how much the tickets are...

Just ask Toronto fans.

#7 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

THE SALARIES AREN'T THE REASON OF TICKET PRICES! DO PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND? IF 50,000 PEOPLE WANT TO GO TO ONE GAME AND THERE ARE 19,000 SEATS OF COURSE PRICES WILL BE HIGH

needz m0ar rage n capzzzz!

#8 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Wait, can you explain that again?
Posted Image

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Jagermeister, 20 October 2012 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image

#10 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

just think, you can get 1/2 season tickets (21 games) in Florida 24 rows from the ice behind the net for $860.

#11 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

just think, you can get 1/2 season tickets (21 games) in Florida 24 rows from the ice behind the net for $860.

How much demand for hockey is there in Florida though, again supply and demand
Posted Image

#12 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Shea Weber gets to take $13 million dollars to Nunavut for not even stepping on the ice this year and another $13 million next year even if there is no hockey.

#13 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Some NHL owners get to take home a profit year after year without fans commenting on their outrageous profits (or the fact that they set ticket prices and salaries that we like to blame on players) despite the fact that some individual players (like Ovi) directly generate more income for their team than that individual owner put in to buy the team.

And most fire fighters are volunteers. Life ain't fair.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#14 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

If I owned a biz that had an OUTRAGOUS Profit lol i would be happy after all, is that not what i would want as a Biz owner....lol But owning a biz and having my employees play games all day and practice to get better on my dollar then bitch and cry around about unfairness and want a piece of my pie after signing a player contract....well that just takes the cake too....

#15 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

If I owned a biz that had an OUTRAGOUS Profit lol i would be happy after all, is that not what i would want as a Biz owner....lol But owning a biz and having my employees play games all day and practice to get better on my dollar then bitch and cry around about unfairness and want a piece of my pie after signing a player contract....well that just takes the cake too....

Really? Why? NHL owners know well in advance of buying into a franchise what owning a team entails. At no point in history did owning a sports franchise mean you would be paying people to cure cancer. So whining that players are getting paid to "play games all day and practice to get better" is silly. That's the business!

Furthermore, many businesses pay their employees to advance their knowledge and skills through courses, seminars and paid internships. People in computer/network tech positions, for example, often get sent on courses to advance their skills as the technology changes. Many of those courses cost over $10,000 and some double that. (And that's assuming the needed course is held locally and doesn't require travel, hotel, and other costs.) That's just a price of doing business.

You continue to ignore that those players ARE the product but ignoring it doesn't make it less true. They are what the owners are selling and what they are making money off of. So, treating them well and giving them every opportunity to be a better player (and one would assume in turn a better product generating more revenue for the owner) is just a good investment.

You seem to be confused about how CBA negotiations work and especially how this one is working. The players have NEVER asked for more from the owners. The players are NOT the ones trying to back out of contracts they signed, some just weeks ago. In reality, it's the owners crying that they can't honor contracts they just signed and that they want to add additional restrictions to the system they said would (and did) make the league profitable. The players have simply asked for the owners to take less away from them and to make fewer restrictions on them. (Some of those proposed restrictions, btw, many people believe will hurt the teams as well and is incredibly shortsighted of the league, which seems to be bargaining from the position of a few teams instead of all or even most of them.)

I get your jealousy, but you need to get over it. Yes, they have cool jobs and get paid disgusting amounts of money for it. And? People on Wall Street make more money, and hockey players didn't try to destroy the world economy for their personal profit. Plus, I hate to break it to you, but no one makes billions feeding orphaned kittens and then training them as seeing eye cats for blind bunnies. If you think the players are disgusting for how much they make, maybe you should think about how the owners got enough money to buy a team (which for most, if not all, of the owners represents about as much of their overall asset portfolio as a box of pencils would for the rest of us) to begin with. Let me give you a few hints: Underpaid works. Bad working conditions. Overinflated prices. Outsourcing jobs. Inherited wealth they never did anything to earn. .... ...
Go, Canucks, Go!

#16 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm not jealous...what am I 12? lol I am for the owners.... If Im jealous than you must be a Super fan who follows every tweet and instagram form every player you have followed. Lol believe everything you hear from their tweets hahaa...Poor players...bet you'de givem all hugs wouldn't ya lol

I dont get why you love them so much but you call there money disgusting? Some of your thought process goes so far beyond the problem it shows me that you are blinded by awesomeness. I am positive that if Crosby said hi to you that you would most likely FAINT lol Please tell me that you don't scream and throw your under wear over the glass at games cuz that would so WEIRD!

#17 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm not jealous...what am I 12? lol I am for the owners.... If Im jealous than you must be a Super fan who follows every tweet and instagram form every player you have followed. Lol believe everything you hear from their tweets hahaa...Poor players...bet you'de givem all hugs wouldn't ya lol

I dont get why you love them so much but you call there money disgusting? Some of your thought process goes so far beyond the problem it shows me that you are blinded by awesomeness. I am positive that if Crosby said hi to you that you would most likely FAINT lol Please tell me that you don't scream and throw your under wear over the glass at games cuz that would so WEIRD!

I have no idea how old you are, but given that your response to business ideas is to apparently to conjure the image of a precocious 14-year-old Bieber fan I'm hoping you're not that old. Otherwise, that would be creepy.

But since you're so interested, no, I don't follow any of the players on Twitter or Facebook. I don't have a Twitter account and have never even been to Instagram. I do not own a jersey with an individual player's name on it (as I can never decide which player it would be) and I've only ever been to 1 Canucks game (many, many years ago) because it's really freaking expensive. I've never squealed at anyone in delight in my life (with the obvious very private exception) and I think Crosby is overrated as a player.

I'm not a "super fan" nor have I ever claimed to be. I just appreciate the reality of the business that they are in. They get paid not based on what they deserve in a fair world. No such world exists. Instead, they, like everyone else, get paid based on the amount of money they generate in the industry they are in. It is a disgusting amount of money involved in sports and entertainment in general. But we pay it, so they get it. That's how it works.

But, how about you turn that question back on yourself? If you think the players are so disgusting for making the amount of money they make for actually doing work, why do you blindly support the owners making more than their share despite contributing very little? As I said before, some of the big name players contribute more to the revenue of their team than the individual owners put in to buy into a franchise. In fact, the players of every team collectively generate more revenue for their teams yearly than the owners put in once to buy into the franchise. And players work towards these careers since childhood. They workout hours a day, put their health on the line every day, limit everything they eat at all times of the year, their travel schedule means they lose precious time with their families, and frankly they play through pain that would cripple most of us. Yes, it's their choice. But so is being an owner, which is by far the sweeter deal. Owners put a tiny fraction of their overall disposable income towards a team, which they are fully aware of the risks and responsibilities for. And then most sit back and do nothing while getting huge tax breaks at the expense of taxpayers. (The luxury tax rates for sports teams is nothing short of gross!)

If you'd read through my many posts on this issue you'll see that I've talked about the importance of owners and how players need to remember that they need them as much as the owners need the players. It's a symbiotic relationship and their negotiations and CBA need to reflect that fact. As a fan of the sport and the league, I want to see it healthy but I know it is never going to be if owners are allowed to continue to make very poor business decisions which someone else has to bear the consequences for. Just as I know that we will find ourselves without the sport we love every time the CBA expires if owners are allowed to lockout players every time just so they can force players to give up even more (despite record profits) while facing no consequences from fans. That's not good business and it's especially not good for fans.

Frankly, if you were truly on the side of the league and the owners, and not just blindly against the players, you would want to see them held to a standard that would ensure the best possible prospect for a successful future. You would want to see them behaving responsibly and making the best decisions for their businesses, not just assuming they can make any bad decision they want and find some way to make someone else pay for it later. You would want them to see them keeping their metaphorical doors open and revenue flowing. What you would not want, however, is to see them creating rules that will actually create a greater disparity between teams (for example, by forcing teams to include NHL contracts in the minors against the cap, but not bonuses, meaning rich teams will just make future contracts that offer pennies for "salary" but tens of millions a year in bonuses to attract big name players, pricing them far outside the reach of poorer teams.) Just like last time, you can place all of the limits you want on players but it's actually the owners who set the salaries and who have the most invested interest in finding ways around the rules they created. If the owners themselves are not limited, not asked to be responsible for their own decisions, the problems the league has now will only continue and get worse.

Be for the owners if you honestly think their position is better or more important for the league. But do so intelligently, with an eye on the actual business of the NHL and not just "but the players just get paid so much for having such a cool job!"
Go, Canucks, Go!

#18 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Didn't read to much into your post it was a defensive....lol I apologize I must have hit a nerve there. lol.

#19 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Didn't read to much into your post it was a defensive....lol I apologize I must have hit a nerve there. lol.

You just proved my point. And that your opinion isn't based on actual fact but superficial assumptions.

Too bad.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#20 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just don't want to see you embarass yourself with more self denial that you are a super fan and that you are trying to sound smart on a Hockey Forum board....lol Look at you trying to act above me...you sound just like Toews....And I truly disbelive you when you say you dont follow on twitter....I KNOW you do lol

#21 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Ok then. If you're not up to an actual discussion and believe a thought out opinion is just "trying to sound smart," there's really nothing more to say.

But if you really need to continue with the childish insults, feel free. It's not me who will be embarrassed.

Edited by poetica, 22 October 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#22 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Summary of the above conversation:

Fwybyed: "playerz lazy easy job, owner do all teh hard werk"
Poetica: "Here's a detailed and mostly accurate response to why you're uninformed"
Fwybyed: "lol ur dum suprfan hug crosbaby gay"
Poetica: "You're a child who's embarrassing yourself"
Fwybyed: "lol ur embarasing urself suprfan dum"

Edited by Niloc009, 22 October 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#23 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

You just proved my point. And that your opinion isn't based on actual fact but superficial assumptions.

Too bad.

im sorry bud but when someone types a paragraph or 2 towards you you dont send them a story book back
Posted Image

#24 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

:lol: Niloc009!

im sorry bud but when someone types a paragraph or 2 towards you you dont send them a story book back

Unfortunately for some, not all replies are short and snarky. Some are thought out and actually contain information.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#25 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

:lol: Niloc009!

Unfortunately for some, not all replies are short and snarky. Some are thought out and actually contain information.

maybe next time use bullet points
Posted Image

#26 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

maybe next time use bullet points

No. My thoughts will be offered my way.

This isn't Twitter. No need to fear complete sentences.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#27 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

captain serious over here
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.