The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Checking In On Justin Schultz

The general hockey discussion is really the Oilers discussion cause there alway seems to be some story relating to them in here

i understand some of you are like 14 and see young players as the way to go cause you can relate to them i guess

but there a long way away from a cup i mean they finished 2nd last rnh weighs like 60 pounds , hall is going to have an injury plauged career , yakupov is russian so if he doesnt book it to the khl now he will eventually

which leaves eberle , the only true player that will consistently make an impact

shultz is nothing right now ,hes never even played an nhl game so i dont understand the hype

yeah , good luck on that all star team 2 years from now

its great the oiler kids are dominating the ahl right now or at least they should with pretty much half of their nhl roster down there

its still tough to tell how good schultz is until he actually gets to the nhl because junior college and ahl hockey albeit competitive can easily been dominated by a player and then said player comes to the nhl and has little to no impact

The general hockey discussion is really the Oilers discussion cause there alway seems to be some story relating to them in here

i understand some of you are like 14 and see young players as the way to go cause you can relate to them i guess

but there a long way away from a cup i mean they finished 2nd last rnh weighs like 60 pounds , hall is going to have an injury plauged career , yakupov is russian so if he doesnt book it to the khl now he will eventually

which leaves eberle , the only true player that will consistently make an impact

shultz is nothing right now ,hes never even played an nhl game so i dont understand the hype

yeah , good luck on that all star team 2 years from now

Schultz - who cares? And I say that in response to the implied whining from King that Gillis couldn't land him. Boohoo.

Good for Edmonton - he wanted to play with all those young guns and get his guaranteed ice time. Contenders don't give guaranteed ice time to anyone, let alone guys who hadn't even played an AHL game in their career. Yeah - playing with Eberle, Nugent Hopkins etc will result in some points. Good for the Oilers - if he wasn't going to sign here, I'm glad they got him.

Tremendous start by Schultz!

Kid looks impressive but alot of players have entered the AHL or even the NHL with impressive stats. Nikita Filatov, Fabian Brunnstrom or even Jordan Schroeder at a point a game when he joined the Moose.

College kid who has never played pro is going to have some major adjustments to make to 82 games and the size and forechecking of pro players. So i would caution appointing him the next Shea Weber just yet.

I'm sure the Oil have a beauty prospect here......BC kid too.

Sucks Gillis couldn't sign him.

Wow, you actually buy the "guaranteed ice time" line by Gillis? That's rich.

If Schultz sucks, you can be pretty certain that Edmonton WILL NOT be playing him. I bet Wade Redden assumed that his ice time was pretty guaranteed, too. Edmonton tried harder to get him. They got Gretzky to call. They brought in Hall and RNH. Mike Gillis brought Alain Vigneault. Edmonton won. Imagine that?

Why Did Justin Schultz Choose the Oilers?

"On the money side of the equation the current CBA did the Oilers a huge favour in the Schultz sweepstakes. First because of the restrictions on entry level contracts it put them on a level playing field with everyone else meaning that Tambellini, no matter how hard he tried, couldn't shoot himself in the foot with this deal. Secondly because the CBA outlines the minimum requirements for every bonus choosing a team where he would be instantly guaranteed ice time gives Schultz the best chance of capitalizing on the $2.85M available to him."

Some of the CBA ELC bonus parameters that would have been extremely difficult for Schultz to meet in Vancouver:

1) Top four among defence in ice time, aggregate or per game

2) Top three on the defence in plus/minus

3) Top two in blocked shots

http://www.coppernbl...oose-the-oilers

Wah, boohoo, Gillis didn't try hard enough... :unsure:

Archived