The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Checking In On Justin Schultz

That's exactly what MIke Gillis didn't want to do, a long with at least 20 other teams. Gaurantee a unproven player ice time.

Personally that's fine with me. Too bad we didn't land him. I have no hate against Justin Shultz, it is a very nice quick start to his pro career.

Yes, I agree - that's what Gillis wasn't willing to guarantee him - and I agree entirely with that decision.

King has suggested that that was only a "line" that Gillis used, to make excuses for the fact that he didn't sign here.

King is goint to whine about the fact that Schultz signed in Edmonton ad infinitum.

That's the impetus behind creating this thread.

That reference I quoted above was to illustrate that it was pretty much known throughout the hockey world, and acknowledged in Edmonton, that Schultz was wanting guaranteed ice time - something they could offer but Vancouver could not responsibly commit to - and in addition, the realistic possibility of Schultz achieveing CBA defined bonus conditions are much higher in the Edmonton context. King would like to suggest that Gillis is incompetent instead, and that introducing Schultz to Vigneault somehow caused the whole bid to tank. King is prone to dramatics.

All you've offered is evidence that it will be EASIER for Schultz to attain his ELC bonuses on the Oilers - not much of a surprise there. And when you're speaking of a guy who might well have a long, long NHL career, the amount of money is immaterial. Do you really think that there's a "guaranteed ice-time" clause in his contract? If he sucks, he WILL NOT PLAY. If you think otherwise, you're dreaming.

In no way is this an excuse for Gillis to not get him - this is the same guy, Mike Gillis, who hinted to season ticket holders at their meeting that Schultz was probably on his way here. What happened after that? Edmonton got Gretzky, Messier, Hall, and RNH into the mix, Vancouver brought Vigneault. And Vancouver finished 3rd. To say that the effort which Edmonton put into it wasn't a factor is not giving them enough credit.

I had said from the start that it would be most logical for him to end up in Edmonton, so I wasn't personally surprised when he signed there. But I can tell you that when I said ON HERE that I felt like he would end up in Edmonton, I was skewered with the same crap that you send to me usually - "you're so negative", "why would anybody want to go to Edmonton?", "he's from Vancouver, he wants to be here", "his parents are season ticket holders", etc. This place had practically started pre-ordering the Schultz Canuck jerseys.

In no way is this an excuse for Gillis to not get him - this is the same guy, Mike Gillis, who hinted to season ticket holders at their meeting that Schultz was probably on his way here. What happened after that? Edmonton got Gretzky, Messier, Hall, and RNH into the mix, Vancouver brought Vigneault. And Vancouver finished 3rd. To say that the effort which Edmonton put into it wasn't a factor is not giving them enough credit.

I had said from the start that it would be most logical for him to end up in Edmonton, so I wasn't personally surprised when he signed there. But I can tell you that when I said ON HERE that I felt like he would end up in Edmonton, I was skewered with the same crap that you send to me usually - "you're so negative", "why would anybody want to go to Edmonton?", "he's from Vancouver, he wants to be here", "his parents are season ticket holders", etc. This place had practically started pre-ordering the Schultz Canuck jerseys.

Nobody has ever said any differently in terms of his "guaranteed ice time"; not even oldnews. He is merely guaranteed a better chance at ice time because Edmonton has got no real D core to speak of. It doesn't matter who was brought in to give him a call but if you think that really matters then you're dreaming; or stretching for an argument. You are absolutely right though...there is no guaranteed ice time if he sucks. Now we just need to figure out who the hell you're arguing with about that. Please bring up an argument about semantics...pretty please.

Seriously though...can we put this silly argument to bed. You win...there's no such thing as actual guaranteed ice time for Schultzy but there is such thing as a higher chance; drastically higher actually. In Edmonton Schultz plays in the NHL short of a massive crapping the bed. Here he'd have to play his arse off to stay out of the press box/AHL.

I hate asking; but you need a source to make a statement like that.

Schultz was one of the single most in demand free agents in years. One key reason, beyond his talent, is that he could be only be signed to a max ELC contract according to the old CBA. One point something mill, with any possible bonuses available automatically counting against your cap hit at a total cap hit value of something like $3.8 mill. Schultz had enough leverage, any suitor had no choice but to offer the max contract. I think your talking out of your tail suggesting Gillis offered only a two way contract.

Edmonton Gauranteed him ice time. WE know they it, they know it, we all know it. MIke Gillis knows it, Justin Shultz only wanted a 1 way contract. Canucks were leading the race, and was going to sign with Vancouver, but Mike Gillis refused to gaurantee him a one way contract. Then a few days before July 1, news started circulating Kamloops that he was leaing towards Edmonton, because they are willing to offer him a 1way contract, and bam, he signs with Edmonton, refusing to take any hard work to the NHL.

In the end it's

"I'm not sure how some teams work, but we this is not how our team ran"

or something in that line referrencing that MIke Gillis does not gaurantee ice time to players that have 0 nhl games, (Fabbian Brunnstrom)

end thread. I don't give a 2 craps about Justin Shultz, I actually forgot about this guy, I really did, I forgot he existed. I see his name, "oh yea, that guy, signed with Edmonton because he was gauranteed the ice time" If your an oiler fan, save your time.

But again, I have nothing against him, I'm sad he didn't sign with us, but hey, he wanted the best route for himself, If he is able to skip any developement leauge, and a team is willing to do that, good for him. But the truth is Edmonton offered him the gauranteed ice time.

This is a fair post.

No I also do not believe Gillis would, or should guarantee ice time. However, I also believe Gillis would have no problem signing the cheque if he earned it!

The cap hit was going to count regardless of whether he hit the bonuses, but if he did it would have pointed to all kinds of good things!

Yes, I agree - that's what Gillis wasn't willing to guarantee him - and I agree entirely with that decision.

King has suggested that that was only a "line" that Gillis used, to make excuses for the fact that he didn't sign here.

King is goint to whine about the fact that Schultz signed in Edmonton ad infinitum.

That's the impetus behind creating this thread.

That reference I quoted above was to illustrate that it was pretty much known throughout the hockey world, and acknowledged in Edmonton, that Schultz was wanting guaranteed ice time - something they could offer but Vancouver could not responsibly commit to - and in addition, the realistic possibility of Schultz achieveing CBA defined bonus conditions are much higher in the Edmonton context. King would like to suggest that Gillis is incompetent instead, and that introducing Schultz to Vigneault somehow caused the whole bid to tank. King is prone to dramatics.

I'm sorry, I don't care if he wins the scoring title in the AHL and the Barons win it all, this all means nothing until he plays an NHL game.

Far too many successful AHLers have struggled at the NHL level. It is a completely different game up there playing with the big boys. Schultz loves to play deep and pinch all the time which may work at the AHL level, but the speed of the NHL would leave him caught out of position much more than he is right now. He's still playing with boys as far as I'm concerned.

The general hockey discussion is really the Oilers discussion cause there alway seems to be some story relating to them in here

i understand some of you are like 14 and see young players as the way to go cause you can relate to them i guess

but there a long way away from a cup i mean they finished 2nd last rnh weighs like 60 pounds , hall is going to have an injury plauged career , yakupov is russian so if he doesnt book it to the khl now he will eventually

which leaves eberle , the only true player that will consistently make an impact

shultz is nothing right now ,hes never even played an nhl game so i dont understand the hype

yeah , good luck on that all star team 2 years from now

I'm sorry, I don't care if he wins the scoring title in the AHL and the Barons win it all, this all means nothing until he plays an NHL game.

Far too many successful AHLers have struggled at the NHL level. It is a completely different game up there playing with the big boys. Schultz loves to play deep and pinch all the time which may work at the AHL level, but the speed of the NHL would leave him caught out of position much more than he is right now. He's still playing with boys as far as I'm concerned.

Gillis should have just gave him a 1 way deal and took the risk.... He could of greatly improved our team with his offense from the back end, I've seen him play and a couple of my buddies have played against him and he really seems like the real deal.

He's fast, NHL speed would not be a problem for him.

You can make the case he's doing so good because he's playing with Eberle and Hopkins but from most Edmonton fans I've heard he's playing a lot better then them, not an easy feat.

Even if he was a bust, couldn't we have waived him or sent him down or traded him?

I don't think Garrison will be anything great, could be another Ballard...

whys everyone underthings in a scrunch?

pretty simple if you ask me...

• half the taxes in alta.

• same ELC annual salary, but refer to point 1

• young team (just like @ university, a crop of more experienced team-mates awaits yet are similar in age too)

• max bonus clauses = 2.85 mil, (refer to point 1)

• all of this close to home (~1hr flight)

This is a fair post.

No I also do not believe Gillis would, or should guarantee ice time. However, I also believe Gillis would have no problem signing the cheque if he earned it!

The cap hit was going to count regardless of whether he hit the bonuses, but if he did it would have pointed to all kinds of good things!

Gillis should have just gave him a 1 way deal and took the risk.... He could of greatly improved our team with his offense from the back end, I've seen him play and a couple of my buddies have played against him and he really seems like the real deal.

He's fast, NHL speed would not be a problem for him.

You can make the case he's doing so good because he's playing with Eberle and Hopkins but from most Edmonton fans I've heard he's playing a lot better then them, not an easy feat.

Even if he was a bust, couldn't we have waived him or sent him down or traded him?

I don't think Garrison will be anything great, could be another Ballard...

Archived