The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying a new PC

Trebreh

Hello, im looking to upgrade my 7 yr old computer, I dont know anything about computers so could you guys help me decide which one is better of the two.

http://www.futuresho...367aab4ef9den02

http://www.futuresho...daf09cd6686en02

what is RAM, proccesor speed, hard drive etc.

Im not a hardcore gamer, but i do want to upgrade my comp for when Rome total war 2 comes out :D

I just spoke to my wife's nephew who has been building his own computers for years and he recommends if you do not want to go that route, take a look at the Alienware X51 sold by Dell Canada for $699.99. He says it is one of the most powerful budget desktops with excellent gaming performance for the average user.

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn#RatingsAndReviews

Dell is currently offering a no interest financing plan:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/no_interest?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Future Shop also sells a more powerful version at $1249.00

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/alienware-alienware-x51-intel-core-i7-2600-desktop-computer-ax51-9299bk-english-ax51-9299bk/10224072.aspx

I highly suggest taking the advice a couple people have given of getting your PC made by www.ncix.com or www.memoryexpress.com, if you have one nearby. You pick any parts you want and, in the case of NCIX, pay $50 to have them assemble it and install your operating system. I believe that $50 includes a warranty on the system as a whole in addition to the individual component warranties.

You will get better quality parts, likely save money, and have much more freedom on what you get. I find the computers sold at Best Buy, Future Shop really over-emphasize high-end processors and skimp on the video card, even in their "gaming computers". It's like putting $5,000 tires on your Toyota Prius..it's not going to get you going much faster.

I'm not knocking people that buy computers at these stores. I bought my first two (desktop and laptop) from Best Buy because I needed to utilize their monthly financing. Or, you may just not be comfortable shopping from a place you don't know. NCIX doesn't have much of a store to browse, most everything is in the back.If you live near Richmond take a look at the MemoryExpress store, it's quite large and has lots of stuff (cases etc) on display.

If you want to get a custom computer built but don't know what you need, feel free to PM me and I can put together a list for you. I'm not an expert in this stuff, but I've assembled my current computer and those of two friends; it's not complicated at all if you know the basics.

I highly suggest taking the advice a couple people have given of getting your PC made by www.ncix.com or www.memoryexpress.com, if you have one nearby. You pick any parts you want and, in the case of NCIX, pay $50 to have them assemble it and install your operating system. I believe that $50 includes a warranty on the system as a whole in addition to the individual component warranties.

You will get better quality parts, likely save money, and have much more freedom on what you get. I find the computers sold at Best Buy, Future Shop really over-emphasize high-end processors and skimp on the video card, even in their "gaming computers". It's like putting $5,000 tires on your Toyota Prius..it's not going to get you going much faster.

I'm not knocking people that buy computers at these stores. I bought my first two (desktop and laptop) from Best Buy because I needed to utilize their monthly financing. Or, you may just not be comfortable shopping from a place you don't know. NCIX doesn't have much of a store to browse, most everything is in the back.If you live near Richmond take a look at the MemoryExpress store, it's quite large and has lots of stuff (cases etc) on display.

If you want to get a custom computer built but don't know what you need, feel free to PM me and I can put together a list for you. I'm not an expert in this stuff, but I've assembled my current computer and those of two friends; it's not complicated at all if you know the basics.

The best deal you can get will be from NCIX.

In addition to having a lot of the best regular sales on parts, they also have an amazing pricematch program.

If you are not comfortable building the computer yourself, it can be done by them for $50 as mentioned.

I can also help throw together a parts list if you like.

Cheers

NCIX is easily the best value.

If you want to get the equivalent of a pre-built PC like Dell or Future shop would make they have those too but the NCIX one would be way better.

I personally like the ones built off of the I5-2500k that they will overclock for you to 4Ghz.

For example the http://pc.ncix.com/n...55CBB84-4571261 will blow anything that dell or future shop could dream of selling you out of the water. The only real con is you have to wait a week or two for them to build it for you.

But when they are done you will have a thing that will be running just about anything you want for the next seven years.

And if you want to spend more spend it upgrading the graphics card.

Edit: So say comparing it with the 1200 one from futureshop wet put in...

It might look like a crappier processor but the I5 2500k is so close to matching the performance of an I7 that the price increase is not worth it at all. And that's BEFORE the 2500k is overclocked. Anyone that doesn't beleive that can go to Tomshardware and look at their testing results.

The graphics card on the NCIX one blows the futureshop one out of the water. The NCIX one will have you running ultra settings when your new game comes out. Smoothly.

The NCIX one will have the operating system operating off of a flash drive (and install you program files to that location as well) while still having lots of space in the traditional hard drive to put all your save files.

Same cost, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better computer.

I put my cpu in and everything and i try to boot up, sounds like everything is running accept the screen is black not even a post. I check all my parts and the mobo is not working. its pretty sad when i buy things that dont work and you cant return it. they blamed me for what? buying it? gimme break bought it like hour before before closing and went next day to return it right when they opened and they wont take it back. best customer service? lol

I put my cpu in and everything and i try to boot up, sounds like everything is running accept the screen is black not even a post. I check all my parts and the mobo is not working. its pretty sad when i buy things that dont work and you cant return it. they blamed me for what? buying it? gimme break bought it like hour before before closing and went next day to return it right when they opened and they wont take it back. best customer service? lol

Archived