The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Eager facing assault charges after Toronto bar fight

vancanfan

Lol at the people trying to compare the two situations. Kassian was 19 years old and if I had to take a guess was probably being harassed by a drunk fool all night just because he recognized who Kassian was. This guy was letting Kassian hear it all night thinking he was funny until Kassian dropped him and then walked away. That is my understanding from what I read, it wasn't a full on fight.

On the other hand, Eager ganged up on one guy with his brother and in full out rage beat this guy hard enough that he ended up in an ambulance. The story says the guy was a doorman, so putting two and two together you could probably assume that Eager was about to be kicked out of the bar, or asked to leave when he pulled the "do you know who I am" card and then couldn't control his temper. It seems like Eager has rage issues... this guy is a clown.

Don't know the guy from a hole in the ground, so not going to judge him at all. He plays his role on the ice whether people like it or not; sometimes effectively, lots of times ineffectively.

Saying that, he'll receive a stiff fine and community service. At which point, I hope for his own personal well being that he turns his life around.

Have you read the story, or do yo you just like use an apparent "sense of objectivity" to feel superior to other people on the internet?

"The doorman allegedly had to hold up a patio chair to shield himself from the attack."

"Eager and his brother each face charges of assault, assault with bodily harm and assault with weapon."

I know the convention is to blame CDC for all the world's woes, but this seems very different from the Kassian situation.

Two guys attacking a doorman usually means two things;

1) You were being a dork so they would not let u in.

2) You were being a dork so the doorman kicked u out. Time to exact some revenge...

But the bar, which called itself a place for young professionals, seems also to be saying its's not the sort of place for brawling. How many biker bars close service after a fight? Eager apparently begged to differ and raised the ante.

They also seem happy to hand over security tape. I know one thing. You do not usually eject 220 lb guys built like Eager by yourself. The two brothers attacking a doorman does not sound like something he would have been expecting. I bet the footage will show he was reckless; just like running Sedin from behind into the boards like an idiot in San Jose in the 2010/11 play off's.

But the NHL would be hypocritical if they made a big deal of it. They were just promoting brawling and sticking together as a way of life as recently as yesterday;

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643744&navid=DL|NHL|home

CDC's reactions:

Kassian barfight: OMG badass

Eager barfight: Classless and disgusting.

What story? The Kassian bar fight where three articles all mention the same thing, none of which that guy describe? And directly out of the Sun: "Police still weren’t sure what sparked the fight." So in regards to my previous post, what was wrong with what I said? Either there's some other OFFICIAL report out there saying differently, it sounds like people are just speaking out of their ass and drawing assumptions to justify what a Canuck player did. Which doesn't surprise me.

And, you know, allegedly means not yet proven. If justice was laid down based on word of mouth instead of investigation, there would be a lot of people getting screwed over.

I know exactly what allegedly means. It means he hasn't be convicted of it yet.

I also know what this means,:

"She said the fight was caught on security video, which will be handed over to police on Sunday"

So the assault was caught on tape. Also, I know what this means:

"The doorman suffered cuts to the face and was taken to hospital by ambulance"

There's a lot wrong with what you said, but the most annoying part is to assume bias on an ENTIRE forum (to which you belong). Also I hate when people keep saying the same thing over and over again, when it is just a waste of breath and doesn't add to the discussion...after every few comment, we get a statement mentioning the bias of the forum from a user, conveying their sense of superiority over the whole forum...it just irritates me.

I'm a member of CDC, and I would easily assume bias. Sorry, but the bulk of the userbase here is all too emblematic of the type who rioted in 2011. There are some very intelligent. reasonable, and well-spoken folks here, and that's why I keep coming back. But they are in the minority. Pile-ons happen everywhere on the Internet - they just seem to happen a little quicker around here.

That being said, I am absolutely loathe to be defending a hockey player like Ben Eager. But the original article and video reeked of spin, so I'd rather reserve my judgement of the situation until more facts emerge. For perspective - imagine yourself as a Minnesota Wild fan, making assertions about the character of Rick Rypien after the fan incident. Now imagine how you feel the following summer.

Archived