The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Piercing Advice (I need an adult)

:D

Listen up, britches, I need some medical advice from anyone that is in the know on piercings and their affects.

I've had my ears pierced for a few years, but I've had the same pair of earrings in for all that time. Never got infected, no issues. A few weeks ago, I started a job in which I couldn't wear them while working so I took them out. Shortly afterwards, large bumps grew on the back of my lobes and prevented me from putting the earrings back in.

The bumps are slightly tender but they don't bleed and there is no pus or anything coming out of them.

Any ideas what they could be? I am worried my holes my heal shut if I don't put the earrings on once a month or so...

I was about to ask if it was sealing the hole. I know my sister got her bellybutton pierced and her body rejected it by healing around the hole. However, your piercing seems to have been in a long time, unlike my sister's situation. Could the earrings have rusted or gotten dirty, possibly causing an infection on the ear?

When you take the earrings out the holes close. You'll have a little bump where the hole used to be once its completely closed.

Not a medical expert, just speaking from experience. I had earrings in my teens Many Many years ago. Now the holes are completely closed, and there are little bumps that I can feel if I rub there, the bumps are not visible though.

I'm no expert, just from my own experience but you should be fine : D - I've had my ears pierced for over 15 years and I wear earrings maybe 2/3 times a year (if that) and they've never healed up. It sounds like it might be scar tissue to me, but like I said I'm no expert.

I've had my ears pierced for a couple of decades (had 3 in one ear, actually - now down to 2 in that ear, as the 3rd grew over).

So, here's my advice:

Don't wear the earrings at work, but when you get home, put them back in. Change up the earrings. Try different ones. Are the ones you usually wear the studs? If so, they're thicker than "regular" earrings.

When you wear the earrings (the studs or any other ones), twist them (twirl) every so often, so that you prevent them from getting fused to your skin, if you have a raw part to the hole (shut-up, those of you who will spin this comment :frantic: ).

The bumps are probably just meaning that they are irritated and swollen.

Hang in there. Fashion far outweighs uncomfortable maladies.

And I will echo the statement that CDC > doctor's advice. We'll tell it like it is. :towel:

Archived