30 replies to this topic

#1 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

I haven't made a proposal thread in awhile so I wanted to make one on something that I've been pondering lately: What could the Pittsburgh Penguins offer for Alex Edler? The only true top pair defenseman they have IMO is Kris Letang, while I personally view Brooks Orpik as a top 4 D man, although the Pens pair Orpik with Letang sometimes.

So what do you guys think we could get from Pittsburgh?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

in b 4 someone says crosby !

#3 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Malkin :bigblush:

I want something built around acquiring either Brandon Sutter or Chris Kunitz in return, though the back end would of course need to get patched up as well with Alex gone (but I doubt they'd include really good young D prospects as part of the deal with guys like Brandon or Chris already coming back).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

James Neal.

They seem like they are in the exact same situations, they both just became (or are becoming) top line players, both are a similar age.

That's what I would ask if we have to move Edler, but I would rather just keep Edler as I think he would make a bigger impact than adding another star forward to be honest.

Defense is important and he is huge part of this team.

zackass.png

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

They don't have much that we would want, and anyone we would want they wouldn't be willing to part with them.
Posted Image

#6 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

James Neal.

They seem like they are in the exact same situations, they both just became (or are becoming) top line players, both are a similar age.

That's what I would ask if we have to move Edler, but I would rather just keep Edler as I think he would make a bigger impact than adding another star forward to be honest.

I doubt they would give up Neal since they are already dry on top six forwards. I was thinking something like this:

To Vancouver: Tyler Kennedy + 2013 1st

To Pittsburgh: Alex Edler

Probably not the best package but it could start negotiations.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#7 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

I doubt they would give up Neal since they are already dry on top six forwards. I was thinking something like this:

Ya but I dont really want to trade Edler, and right now I dont see any reason too.

If they want him then Neal for him straight across is the approach I would take, unless it becomes evident that we wont get Eddie under contract then maybe look at something else but if they want him right now then I would just say that's what it will take.

Although I do think we will get Edler signed.

zackass.png

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Well, what else do they have to offer then? We don't want bottom 6 forwards so much and goaltending coming back is hardly helpful. Are they going to try and entice us with low round picks? You suggest Tyler Kennedy, but is a 3rd line center, really the return we want for Edler?

I doubt they would be a good trading partner unless they want to pay for it. Out of their prospects, the best ones they have are on D. So look at it from their perspective, why would they want to give up a lot for a D-man (who's due for a raise) when they have a few good D coming up in the system?

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Kennedy + Glass + 1st :)
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#10 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'd say nothing right now...

http://forum.canucks...g-disk-in-back/

That is a pretty serious injury

Remember Belfour anyone?

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 22 October 2012 - 09:35 AM.

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#11 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I've been a Vancouver fan for years. But since moving back to Winnipeg 7 years ago, and now being a Jets fan first and foremost, I've been able to step back from the insanity that comes with being a Canucks fan.

That out of the way now, "Are you insane?" Why, even for the fun of it, would you want to trade Edler? So he had a bad playoff last year, so did the rest of the team. Otherwise, he truly is a stud defenseman. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Yes, James Neal is a good player, but on what line do you put him on? The Canucks would have to make trades on the top 6 to accomodate that addition. The Canucks do not need to become more top heavy, nor move a young defenseman who is only getting better.

FAIL THREAD

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#12 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've been a Vancouver fan for years. But since moving back to Winnipeg 7 years ago, and now being a Jets fan first and foremost, I've been able to step back from the insanity that comes with being a Canucks fan.

That out of the way now, "Are you insane?" Why, even for the fun of it, would you want to trade Edler? So he had a bad playoff last year, so did the rest of the team. Otherwise, he truly is a stud defenseman. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Yes, James Neal is a good player, but on what line do you put him on? The Canucks would have to make trades on the top 6 to accomodate that addition. The Canucks do not need to become more top heavy, nor move a young defenseman who is only getting better.

FAIL THREAD

Don't single me out on proposing we trade Edler as I am not the only member who has done so.

#13 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

How long do you expect the lockout to last and at what age do you expect the UFA eligibility will be fix after the lockout?

Without these parameter know, its just impossible to estimate the value of Edler.

Edited by palindrom, 22 October 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image Was too much for me!

Instead im reading English grammar for advanced dummies

#14 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

I don't think Pittsburgh will really want him with all their young defensemen coming through the system (Morrow, Despres, Maatta, Pouliot, Dumolin, Harrington), and they're doing quite fine without some real quality defense. They have 3 top 4 guys, and Despres and Morrow will be ready soon, especially Despres.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#15 Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Hunter Shinkaruk #9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

Kennedy, Despres + 1st.
Posted Image
Credit to the incomparable, -Vintage Canuck-. Thank you, sir!

#16 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fleury fr insurance in goal. We dont have enough depth at goalie
Posted Image

#17 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

James Neal.

Good idea.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#18 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

FAIL THREAD

CALM DOWN! It's just a proposal.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#19 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Kennedy, Engelland, 1st
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#20 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

James Neal.

How a player who is under contract until 2017 (Neal) and a player who could become UFA at the end of the season (Edler), and not even play a single game with his team if we have a year long lockout, are in the exact same situation ?

Edited by palindrom, 23 October 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#21 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

How a player who is under contract until 2017 (Neal) and a player who could become UFA at the end of the season (Edler), and not even play a single game with his team if we have a year long lockout, are in the exact same situation ?

Well how do you know that he will be a UFA? The latest proposal's had UFA changed to 28 or 8 years, which would make Edler (27) and RFA.

And I didn't mean contract situation I ment as a player, both have become/are becoming top line players, and not all that far apart in age, only like 2 years or something.

So in terms of there pedigree they are very similar just different positions.

zackass.png

#22 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Letang alone maybe.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#23 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I haven't made a proposal thread in awhile so I wanted to make one on something that I've been pondering lately: What could the Pittsburgh Penguins offer for Alex Edler? The only true top pair defenseman they have IMO is Kris Letang, while I personally view Brooks Orpik as a top 4 D man, although the Pens pair Orpik with Letang sometimes.

So what do you guys think we could get from Pittsburgh?

Pending UFA Edler wouldn't have that much value and the only suitable player I would want is James Neal or a package of something like Depres + Brandon Sutter. I don't think Pittsburgh makes either of those moves.

I've said it before on Edler topics, but we simply cannot afford to move Edler unless we get a suitable replacement on defense elsewhere. Our blueline is already thin and removing our most talented defenseman does not help that situation. Trade Edler and we run a Hamhuis-Bieksa Ballard-Garrison Alberts-Tanev blueline. That is nowhere near good enough to contend for a Cup. If anything we need to add a defeseman.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#24 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well how do you know that he will be a UFA? The latest proposal's had UFA changed to 28 or 8 years, which would make Edler (27) and RFA.

And I didn't mean contract situation I ment as a player, both have become/are becoming top line players, and not all that far apart in age, only like 2 years or something.

So in terms of there pedigree they are very similar just different positions.

I didnt say he will become UFA i say he could.

A question for you: how much difference in trade value between Edler now, or a Edler signed for the next 5 years at a reasonable contract ?

#25 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

I didnt say he will become UFA i say he could.

A question for you: how much difference in trade value between Edler now, or a Edler signed for the next 5 years at a reasonable contract ?

Well if the CBA changes that then no he couldn't be.

Probably a bit, not a huge huge difference, I dont think anyways since it's the begining of the year but it would make a fairly significant one.

zackass.png

#26 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Well if the CBA changes that then no he couldn't be.

Probably a bit, not a huge huge difference, I dont think anyways since it's the begining of the year but it would make a fairly significant one.

I would say it become a significant difference, especially for team who have hard time to attract UFA / re sign their player.

Put yourself, for example, in the shoes of Colombus's GM.

If they acquire Edler who is scheduled to be UFA next summer (or maybe summer 2013 according to the future CBA) what are the chance they would retain Edler after his contract expire ?

A Edler signed for the next 5 years would be significantly more valuable for them. There was a reason they was willing to give a lot to acquire Carter. Imagine if Carter was going to be UFA ? Im not even sure Colombus would had given anything of value to acquire him, or at least their bid would be so low, other team would outbid them.

So instead of losing a Carter for next to nothing as UFA, because Carter didn't want to play there. They was able to trade him back for something of value.

#27 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

I would say it become a significant difference, especially for team who have hard time to attract UFA / re sign their player.

Put yourself, for example, in the shoes of Colombus's GM.

If they acquire Edler who is scheduled to be UFA next summer (or maybe summer 2013 according to the future CBA) what are the chance they would retain Edler after his contract expire ?

A Edler signed for the next 5 years would be significantly more valuable for them. There was a reason they was willing to give a lot to acquire Carter. Imagine if Carter was going to be UFA ? Im not even sure Colombus would had given anything of value to acquire him, or at least their bid would be so low, other team would outbid them.

So instead of losing a Carter for next to nothing as UFA, because Carter didn't want to play there. They was able to trade him back for something of value.

It all depends on the CBA.

If he's an RFA then its not that significant. because they will retain his rights. and if they dont think they will get a deal done (for more than one year) they can trade him and still get good return.

Although hopefully we dont trade him and I know we won't, im confident that we will get him signed and good thing cause we need him.

zackass.png

#28 palindrom

palindrom

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

It all depends on the CBA.

If he's an RFA then its not that significant. because they will retain his rights. and if they dont think they will get a deal done (for more than one year) they can trade him and still get good return.

Although hopefully we dont trade him and I know we won't, im confident that we will get him signed and good thing cause we need him.

Well, that's kinda why i question the pertinence to make proposal involving player whose value could value greatly according to the new CBA. What if the lockout last the entire season, then Edler become UFA and sign with Pittsburgh ?

The trade value of Edler could be ZERO or a lot. according to the duration of the lockout and how old will be the UFA eligibility.

So lets just wait until we have a new CBA, then we can start again making proposal about player in Edler situation.

Edited by palindrom, 24 October 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#29 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Well, that's kinda why i question the pertinence to make proposal involving player whose value could value greatly according to the new CBA. What if the lockout last the entire season, then Edler become UFA and sign with Pittsburgh ?

The trade value of Edler could be ZERO or a lot. according to the duration of the lockout and how old will be the UFA eligibility.

So lets just wait until we have a new CBA, then we can start again making proposal about player in Edler situation.

Well I'm not the one making the proposal, Im of other mind actually that I dont think we should trade him so you should tell that to the OP not me lol.

But Edler's value wouldn't be zero, even if it doesn't change, we would still get something decent in return, just not as much as we could with a long term deal.

zackass.png

#30 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

:unsure: Really this ONLY happens if the vaunted Lou trade surprises with Dan Boyle or Brian Campbell.

Then you trade for a stud prospect to clear cap space and reload. But I don't see much, which they would be willing to give us that has any value. Their strength is in being top heavy; so behind Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Letang, most likely Neal, who do they have we could use?

- Kunitz? If he gets only 60 points playing with Malkin, and we have a logjam at left wing anyway...
- Sutter? After what they gave up to get him..., but more importantlydon't they need centre depth in case Syd gets clocked again?
- A first and a second round pick? Thinkin finally, but again being top heavy they need to keep supplies of ELC eligible players as long as they can if they expect to keep Malkin, Crosby and Letang together...

Not a whole lot here is my conclusion?

Niskanen is a young right handed shot... :unsure: He would clear space for Connauton on the left, add size and some roster depth; if they would give us him and a first...? :rolleyes:

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 24 October 2012 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.