The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Value of: Alexander Edler to Pittsburgh

Pears

I haven't made a proposal thread in awhile so I wanted to make one on something that I've been pondering lately: What could the Pittsburgh Penguins offer for Alex Edler? The only true top pair defenseman they have IMO is Kris Letang, while I personally view Brooks Orpik as a top 4 D man, although the Pens pair Orpik with Letang sometimes.

So what do you guys think we could get from Pittsburgh?

Malkin :bigblush:

I want something built around acquiring either Brandon Sutter or Chris Kunitz in return, though the back end would of course need to get patched up as well with Alex gone (but I doubt they'd include really good young D prospects as part of the deal with guys like Brandon or Chris already coming back).

James Neal.

They seem like they are in the exact same situations, they both just became (or are becoming) top line players, both are a similar age.

That's what I would ask if we have to move Edler, but I would rather just keep Edler as I think he would make a bigger impact than adding another star forward to be honest.

Defense is important and he is huge part of this team.

James Neal.

They seem like they are in the exact same situations, they both just became (or are becoming) top line players, both are a similar age.

That's what I would ask if we have to move Edler, but I would rather just keep Edler as I think he would make a bigger impact than adding another star forward to be honest.

I doubt they would give up Neal since they are already dry on top six forwards. I was thinking something like this:

To Vancouver: Tyler Kennedy + 2013 1st

To Pittsburgh: Alex Edler

Probably not the best package but it could start negotiations.

I've been a Vancouver fan for years. But since moving back to Winnipeg 7 years ago, and now being a Jets fan first and foremost, I've been able to step back from the insanity that comes with being a Canucks fan.

That out of the way now, "Are you insane?" Why, even for the fun of it, would you want to trade Edler? So he had a bad playoff last year, so did the rest of the team. Otherwise, he truly is a stud defenseman. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Yes, James Neal is a good player, but on what line do you put him on? The Canucks would have to make trades on the top 6 to accomodate that addition. The Canucks do not need to become more top heavy, nor move a young defenseman who is only getting better.

FAIL THREAD

I've been a Vancouver fan for years. But since moving back to Winnipeg 7 years ago, and now being a Jets fan first and foremost, I've been able to step back from the insanity that comes with being a Canucks fan.

That out of the way now, "Are you insane?" Why, even for the fun of it, would you want to trade Edler? So he had a bad playoff last year, so did the rest of the team. Otherwise, he truly is a stud defenseman. Trading him would be a huge mistake.

Yes, James Neal is a good player, but on what line do you put him on? The Canucks would have to make trades on the top 6 to accomodate that addition. The Canucks do not need to become more top heavy, nor move a young defenseman who is only getting better.

FAIL THREAD

I don't think Pittsburgh will really want him with all their young defensemen coming through the system (Morrow, Despres, Maatta, Pouliot, Dumolin, Harrington), and they're doing quite fine without some real quality defense. They have 3 top 4 guys, and Despres and Morrow will be ready soon, especially Despres.

James Neal.

FAIL THREAD

Archived