The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Value of: Alexander Edler to Pittsburgh

Pears

I haven't made a proposal thread in awhile so I wanted to make one on something that I've been pondering lately: What could the Pittsburgh Penguins offer for Alex Edler? The only true top pair defenseman they have IMO is Kris Letang, while I personally view Brooks Orpik as a top 4 D man, although the Pens pair Orpik with Letang sometimes.

So what do you guys think we could get from Pittsburgh?

Well how do you know that he will be a UFA? The latest proposal's had UFA changed to 28 or 8 years, which would make Edler (27) and RFA.

And I didn't mean contract situation I ment as a player, both have become/are becoming top line players, and not all that far apart in age, only like 2 years or something.

So in terms of there pedigree they are very similar just different positions.

I would say it become a significant difference, especially for team who have hard time to attract UFA / re sign their player.

Put yourself, for example, in the shoes of Colombus's GM.

If they acquire Edler who is scheduled to be UFA next summer (or maybe summer 2013 according to the future CBA) what are the chance they would retain Edler after his contract expire ?

A Edler signed for the next 5 years would be significantly more valuable for them. There was a reason they was willing to give a lot to acquire Carter. Imagine if Carter was going to be UFA ? Im not even sure Colombus would had given anything of value to acquire him, or at least their bid would be so low, other team would outbid them.

So instead of losing a Carter for next to nothing as UFA, because Carter didn't want to play there. They was able to trade him back for something of value.

It all depends on the CBA.

If he's an RFA then its not that significant. because they will retain his rights. and if they dont think they will get a deal done (for more than one year) they can trade him and still get good return.

Although hopefully we dont trade him and I know we won't, im confident that we will get him signed and good thing cause we need him.

Well, that's kinda why i question the pertinence to make proposal involving player whose value could value greatly according to the new CBA. What if the lockout last the entire season, then Edler become UFA and sign with Pittsburgh ?

The trade value of Edler could be ZERO or a lot. according to the duration of the lockout and how old will be the UFA eligibility.

So lets just wait until we have a new CBA, then we can start again making proposal about player in Edler situation.

:unsure: Really this ONLY happens if the vaunted Lou trade surprises with Dan Boyle or Brian Campbell.

Then you trade for a stud prospect to clear cap space and reload. But I don't see much, which they would be willing to give us that has any value. Their strength is in being top heavy; so behind Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Letang, most likely Neal, who do they have we could use?

- Kunitz? If he gets only 60 points playing with Malkin, and we have a logjam at left wing anyway...

- Sutter? After what they gave up to get him..., but more importantlydon't they need centre depth in case Syd gets clocked again?

- A first and a second round pick? Thinkin finally, but again being top heavy they need to keep supplies of ELC eligible players as long as they can if they expect to keep Malkin, Crosby and Letang together...

Not a whole lot here is my conclusion?

Niskanen is a young right handed shot... :unsure: He would clear space for Connauton on the left, add size and some roster depth; if they would give us him and a first...? :rolleyes:

Well I'm not the one making the proposal, Im of other mind actually that I dont think we should trade him so you should tell that to the OP not me lol.

But Edler's value wouldn't be zero, even if it doesn't change, we would still get something decent in return, just not as much as we could with a long term deal.

Archived