#1 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

http://www.globaltvb...tion_ref_map=[]

39-year-old Daniel Michael Perrault is at a high-risk to re-offend.

He has been serving a sentence at Kent maximum security prison. While in prison, he has refused treatment and is also on methadone.

Over the past 22 years, Perrault has stomped a man to death, raped a woman after escaping from prison and robbed a shopkeeper while released on parole

I don't think anything highlights how pathetic our justice system is than this story. Seriously, what the F does someone need to do to be kept behind bars? A prisoner can refuse treatment? wow. Stomped someone to death, escaped prison to commit a rape, gets out on parole and robs a store... but, he's now released? Unbelievable.

#2 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yea, welcome to Canada where committing crimes doesn't matter.

#3 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,748 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Did he steal a snickers bar?

Seriously - this is pretty sad...hopefully he does not repeat...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

I wish Dexter Morgan was real and lived here...
Posted Image

#5 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,166 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#6 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

http://www.globaltvb...tion_ref_map=[]

I don't think anything highlights how pathetic our justice system is than this story. Seriously, what the F does someone need to do to be kept behind bars? A prisoner can refuse treatment? wow. Stomped someone to death, escaped prison to commit a rape, gets out on parole and robs a store... but, he's now released? Unbelievable.

I believe the thinking is that if they let them out under parole, the police can continue to monitor them. If they simply let them finish their sentence, they can no longer be monitored closely.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

I believe the thinking is that if they let them out under parole, the police can continue to monitor them. If they simply let them finish their sentence, they can no longer be monitored closely.

He was already out on parole and proceeded to rob a store...
He escaped from prison to commit a rape...

The only way that guy should be monitored is behind bars.

#8 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Some folks would rather just walk by and check his ashes on a mantle occasionally .. certainly an option, however in-viable ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

While treatment can only be forced if it's a condition of his sentence (why wasn't it?) the rest is an indication certainly he should have more time added to his original conviction. If that wasn't the case, then I'd be particularly disappointed, but it's hard to tell since the article mentions nothing about the details of why he was in jail to begin with, what his sentence was at that point, when the other instances occurred and if he did get extra time as a result.

Before anyone jumps on my post, they do state a high-risk to re-offend so I'd prefer something better be mandated as a part of his rehabilitation. It doesn't suggest the following is likely, but if the incidents mentioned happened in, say, the first 10 years of the 22 mentioned, then it is possible he's improved as a part of his incarceration.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#10 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

But the luxurious way we treat criminals clearly show what a first world nation we've become. :rolleyes:

#11 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

If he is declared a dangerous offender he can be locked up indefinitely, what the hell does one have to do to qualify as a dangerous offender if this guy doesn't make the grade? :blink:
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#12 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,971 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

There's something in "high risk repeat" and "released" that just don't work for me. Especially in seeing the violent nature of his crimes ("stomped to death" is another tough one for me to swallow in considering that he's not behind bars).

Better believe if I was at the receiving end of this guy's "to do" list after his rap sheet and subsequent release, there'd be some 'splainin' to do. Like to a lawyer.

Honestly, our streets should be safe and allowing these guys to wander free doesn't really support that (at all). If you refuse to receive treatment then you should be refused release until those conditons are met. Why do these guys get options??

Posted Image

#13 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Seriously hoping for some vigilante justice . I know this is so wrong on my part but how in the FRAK is this guy still breathing ? The Canadian justice system is second only to America in futility ! Everyday I am becoming more disgusted in our country.

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#14 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Sad thing is there are other, more lenient countries than Canada.

The problem with 'soft' justice like this is where's the deterrent? Oh, so I can go out, rape and murder and what, spend a year or two in a minimum security prison then get out on parol? Cool, I'll take that with a side order of fries, I mean why not, it's not like I'll get the death sentence or anything... See my point?

If you take a life unjustly then your life should be forfeit, seems fair to me...

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#15 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

.... or from the grave.....

#16 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

No surprise here; the revolving door of prison keeps on spinning.

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

If he had been convicted of murder, he would not be getting out because the only punishment for committing first or second degree murder in Canada is life imprisonment - it is a mandatory minimum sentence and there is no other possible sentence.

While he would be eligible to apply for parole at some point even if sentenced to life, with this sort of an assessment of danger to the public he would never be released - think Clifford Olsen, Paul Bernardo, Robert Pickton, etc.

There are laws and procedures to designate an accused as a dangerous or long term offender as set out in Part XXIV of the Criminal Code. In that case an indeterminate sentence can be imposed (these designations do not apply to murderers because they are already serving what amounts to an indeterminate sentence) and the dangerous or long term offender remains incarcerated until he is no longer considered a danger. The Supreme Court of Canada has found such indeterminate sentences to not be in violation of the Charter. In the facts here a Dangerous Offender desigantion would have been the most likely process. In this case applications have not been brought at his prior trials to so designate him.

A Crown attorney may present a dangerous offender application after an offender has been found guilty, but before sentencing. However, if new evidence comes to light, an application can be made up to six months after sentencing.

The initial long-term offender application must be submitted before sentencing. It cannot therefore be submitted once the offender has begun serving his or her sentence. However, a long-term offender application that has been converted from a dangerous offender application by the court may be submitted after sentencing.

For more detail see the link noted below:

The Dangerous Offender and Long-Term Offender Regime

Purpose of the Regime

The provisions applicable to offenders presenting a high risk of recidivism are set out in Part XXIV of the Criminal Code (the Code). It is important to note that these rules apply at the sentencing stage on application by the prosecutor after conviction.

The primary objective of this regime is thus to protect the public from offenders who have committed serious sexual or violent offences (except murder) and continue to pose a threat to society. A very high proportion of these criminals have committed sexual offences.

Within this very limited group, dangerous offenders are, by definition, considered more likely to reoffend than are long-term offenders. Thus, a long-term offender could, after being sentenced to a term of imprisonment of two years or more, be released under the conditions of a long-term supervision order; by contrast, unless a judge directs otherwise, a dangerous offender will have to serve a prison sentence of indeterminate length.

http://www.parl.gc.c...s/prb0613-e.htm

Edited by Wetcoaster, 22 October 2012 - 05:06 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#18 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,222 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

^ He was still a youth when he stomped the old man to death. He was an adult when he committed the rape and the robbery though.

Nonetheless of how the facts of the case played out a very dangerous highly likely to re-offend person is about to be walking our streets. Go justice system!

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

^ He was still a youth when he stomped the old man to death. He was an adult when he committed the rape and the robbery though.

Nonetheless of how the facts of the case played out a very dangerous highly likely to re-offend person is about to be walking our streets. Go justice system!

Perrault was tried as an adult in that death and was convicted of manslaughter (not murder). He was sentenced to three years.

One possibility is for Crown make an application to have the court issue a Section 810 recognizance order, which would allow the offender to remain under supervision and conditions for a year even after completing his sentence as occurred with the Swirl Face pedophile, Christopher Neil, who returned to Canada after five years in a Thailand prison.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#20 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

out of curiosity (maybe wet can answer this one) what was the treatment that he refused?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#21 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

out of curiosity (maybe wet can answer this one) what was the treatment that he refused?

It would be hard to say exactly but if he is in fact a sexual sadist as is being reported then this would be the sort of treatment regime that Corrections Canada might undertake.
http://www.csc-scc.g...hil09-eng.shtml

As I understand it treatment has a low rate of success in any event.

One of the most infamous sexual sadists was Clifford Olson - at his 2006 parole hearing, the parole board was told that psychiatric assessments found him to be a sexual sadist with narcissistic tendencies who feels no remorse for his victims or their families.

#22 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Cool thanks

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#23 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

It would be hard to say exactly but if he is in fact a sexual sadist as is being reported then this would be the sort of treatment regime that Corrections Canada might undertake.
http://www.csc-scc.g...hil09-eng.shtml

One of the most infamous sexual sadists was Clifford Olson - at his 2006 parole hearing, the parole board was told that psychiatric assessments found him to be a sexual sadist with narcissistic tendencies who feels no remorse for his victims or their families.

Thank you, as always, for your educated perspective .. a breath of fresh air ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#24 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

If this is the case, then what's the point of letting convicts back out into society, where the re-offend rate is high?

#25 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

What the sentence for raping someone and robbery? life in prison? Is it like 20 years? 10 years? this guy is high risk and should be treated harshly as they will never change

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#26 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Chances are he will re-offend within the year and spend the rest of his natural life in jail .. too bad for the one family that is cursed by living thru his "final offense" .. if it were me, I would now blame the "powers that be" that allow this cretin back into open society for any future crime he commits ..

All this from a a very forgiving person .. I just refuse to condone any type of rape or child abuse .. murder is killing a person .. rape is killing a soul .. child abuse is killing a future .. the disparity in seriousness of sentence needs adjustment .. you can get more for selling weed than you can for rape or sexual abuse ..

#27 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

If this is the case, then what's the point of letting convicts back out into society, where the re-offend rate is high?

I was referring to this particular pathology.

#28 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

i don't get it.. can't we just get rid of these ppl for good..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.