The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Son calls for end to NHL lockout from dying father's bedside

key2thecup

Son calls for end to NHL lockout from dying father's bedside

YouTube is full of videos about the ongoing NHL lockout. There are tongue-in-cheek parodies of the theme song, messages from players to the fans attempting to win their support, and angry rants from disenfranchised fans who just want their hockey back.

But John Dick's message is starkly different.

The Canadian recently returned from Australia to visit his dying father, hoping to sit down and watch the "good old hockey game" one last time with his dad, a longtime Edmonton Oilers fan.

"My dad's been diagnosed with terminal throat cancer," Dick, a 31-year-old filmmaker, says in the one-minute video recorded recently at his father's bedside in the hospital. "When I come back, me and dad really enjoy watching hockey...and this time it's more important than ever. It kind of gives both of us some inspiration and comfort, the tradition of watching hockey."

Dick goes on to say how little sympathy he has for the players who are locked in a contract dispute over shared revenues with the league -- and offers a direct message to the players.

"How do I feel about the situation within the NHL? I hope the doctors and nurses that keep my dad alive get a raise, and that you guys get your asses back on the ice before it's too late."

Since posting the video last Thursday, the one-minute clip has been viewed close to 50,000 timesand provoked a strong response online.

"I'm in the same place as you are:my father is in the hospital dying, I went to visit him yesterday and he was watching 'The Backyardigans.',”wrotetjackson76 in the comments section. “We need hockey."

Another viewer,namedHussizle,was also moved byDick's video, but thought it wouldhave little effect on the stalemate between players and owners.

"These selfish owners just see dollars and cents from the game. But they don't realize the power of the game, and the importance it has in people's lives,” Hussizle wrote.“Nothing proves this point more than this video, which shows that it's not just about cheering for your team to win, but sharing quality time with those you love, watching something we all love.

"As a Canadian, I completely agree with you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family."

Players have been locked out since Sept. 15, and the league announced last week it was cancelling the season up until Nov. 1, with little hope of a deal in sightafter an unproductive round of negotiations.

The NHLsays it's still possible the season could be salvaged, but only if a deal is reachedby Oct. 25.

The dispute is the NHL’s third lockout in 18 years. According to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the league has already lost $250 million in revenue this season.

I actually understand this but also would NEVER publish the picture to make the point. Never. I feel it's a very personal matter and this doesn't reflect or honour that. The picture really disturbs me.

I have a similar picture of my Mom (but I didn't capture her face, as I didn't feel it was appropriate)....she was in hospice, dying of brain cancer. I knew we didn't have long together and one of our last moments (the story of which I've told here before) was during a "Hockey Day In Canada" Canucks game. My Mom was drifting in/out and I was sitting at her bedside in the dark/curtains drawn with the sound down on her little TV. As I sat with the game muted, I reflected on all the games we'd shared together. It is a bittersweet memory - one which had my Mom "tune back in" momentarily, to comment on the game (and Trevor Linden - of course...her hero). She actually had a moment of clarity where she knew our team and, especially, that Trevor was on the ice. That did seem to offer her some comfort and familiarity in what was an awful time of confusion for her. So I do understand these feelings and the connection between a parent/child and the love of their team. How important that bonding and the memories associated with that are and how, in those final moments, we grasp to hang onto them. I also have a voicemail of Mom celebrating the Lions' Grey Cup win as well, that I treasure.

But anger has no place in this. This person is inviting hostility into what ARE likely some of his last moments with his father and that's his own choosing (and a rather selfish one, as he likely carries those vibes to his Father's bedside with him). He should focus on what's important here and make this a time of peace and tranquility....not uneasiness and tension (which tend to have a way of seeping out and infusing elsewhere). So they can't watch a game?...maybe he should do what I did and sit by his Father's bed telling stories of "remember when...." in recalling their favourite hockey moments. It doesn't mean they have to actually watch a current game....stream one of their favourite games.

Situations are what they are and what we make of them is the only thing within our control. Although I also understand and empathize with the anger that this man is feeling as he watches his Father slip away, an unselfish act would be to push that aside and focus on the positive. To ease through the letting go phase gently, vs exerting energy into fighting circumstances beyond his control.

He has his priorities all messed up as far as I'm concerned...he will never get this time back so he should be focusing his attention on making his father comfortable and that his dignity is protected. Posting pictures isn't really necessary or in line with that.

I'm with EOTM on this one...inappropriate. And rather exploitive in nature to me.

I actually feel sick to my stomach seeing that picture, it is a memory I do not need. Seeing someone using a sickness as a media forum absolutely pisses me off to no extent.

Like Deb mentioned talking about old games, he could even youtube some of their favorite games, or better yet just be there for him.

For some people, relationships between father and son can be tenuous. And if hockey's the one thing that brings these two together, who are we to judge?

The point of this guy's video was not to use his dad's illness as a bargaining chip, but rather to remind people, that for some people, hockey is more than just a game. And there are more important things in life than money.

It may be taken the wrong way, but his message is a good one.

It's sad that his father has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and I'm sure the son means well...but this is plain wrong. Exploiting your fathers illness through the media in order to get a game back is in my opinion nothing but a cry for attention. The NHL is unfortunately not going to pay much attention, if any, to the situation and rightfully so. The NHL is far bigger than one man. As heartless as I sound in saying it, its reality.

For some people, relationships between father and son can be tenuous. And if hockey's the one thing that brings these two together, who are we to judge?

The point of this guy's video was not to use his dad's illness as a bargaining chip, but rather to remind people, that for some people, hockey is more than just a game. And there are more important things in life than money.

It may be taken the wrong way, but his message is a good one.

God bless your mom Deb.

Also John and his dad!

I actually understand this but also would NEVER publish the picture to make the point. Never. I feel it's a very personal matter and this doesn't reflect or honour that. The picture really disturbs me.

I have a similar picture of my Mom (but I didn't capture her face, as I didn't feel it was appropriate)....she was in hospice, dying of brain cancer. I knew we didn't have long together and one of our last moments (the story of which I've told here before) was during a "Hockey Day In Canada" Canucks game. My Mom was drifting in/out and I was sitting at her bedside in the dark/curtains drawn with the sound down on her little TV. As I sat with the game muted, I reflected on all the games we'd shared together. It is a bittersweet memory - one which had my Mom "tune back in" momentarily, to comment on the game (and Trevor Linden - of course...her hero). She actually had a moment of clarity where she knew our team and, especially, that Trevor was on the ice. That did seem to offer her some comfort and familiarity in what was an awful time of confusion for her. So I do understand these feelings and the connection between a parent/child and the love of their team. How important that bonding and the memories associated with that are and how, in those final moments, we grasp to hang onto them. I also have a voicemail of Mom celebrating the Lions' Grey Cup win as well, that I treasure.

But anger has no place in this. This person is inviting hostility into what ARE likely some of his last moments with his father and that's his own choosing (and a rather selfish one, as he likely carries those vibes to his Father's bedside with him). He should focus on what's important here and make this a time of peace and tranquility....not uneasiness and tension (which tend to have a way of seeping out and infusing elsewhere). So they can't watch a game?...maybe he should do what I did and sit by his Father's bed telling stories of "remember when...." in recalling their favourite hockey moments. It doesn't mean they have to actually watch a current game....stream one of their favourite games.

Situations are what they are and what we make of them is the only thing within our control. Although I also understand and empathize with the anger that this man is feeling as he watches his Father slip away, an unselfish act would be to push that aside and focus on the positive. To ease through the letting go phase gently, vs exerting energy into fighting circumstances beyond his control.

He has his priorities all messed up as far as I'm concerned...he will never get this time back so he should be focusing his attention on making his father comfortable and that his dignity is protected. Posting pictures isn't really necessary or in line with that.

I'm with EOTM on this one...inappropriate. And rather exploitive in nature to me.

That would be harder.

But we can also make our own music.

I can hear my daughter saying right now as I'm singing; Aww geez dad, that's horrible. Can't you just watch an old recorded game?

B)

its true

its like taking music away from us , like if all the artists across the globe went on strike because of the music industry

"exploiting his dying Father"

A man is heartbroken his Father can't watch hockey his last days on Earth and he's "exploiting" him by making this story.

To get the NHL back?

You really think he's just "crying out for attention"

The internet is evil you people are emotionless nazi's

Archived