The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Automotive Enthusiast Thread

Mr. White

yea, he's definitely weird. and if you made it 4wd it would only be faster if you added a second electric motor to drive the front wheels, otherwise the single motor has to drive another axle, making it less powerful.

you would have to think that it would be so much faster if he used a modern car, with a streamlined body, and lighter everything.

Actually, the datsun is probably really light given it was made in 1972. Cars today weigh so much more than cars from that time

I saw that ^. Sounds like big news, going to be one fast car due to how light it is.

Also does anyone here watch MightyCarMods. Love it, such a good show. They do many customizations to good and bad cars and silly ones too. Great car show.

I saw that ^. Sounds like big news, going to be one fast car due to how light it is.

Also does anyone here watch MightyCarMods. Love it, such a good show. They do many customizations to good and bad cars and silly ones too. Great car show.

I've been watching them for a while. They are pretty awesome dudes. I love how the do everything in their garage/driveway

To sports car lovers:

Why get a sports car (unless you're a racer and hopefully not a street racer) if you have the money to buy it over buying a luxury car?

By the way, I used to be a sports car lover until I realized most sports cars don't have many luxury features and a luxury car costs about the same amount of money

To sports car lovers:

Why get a sports car (unless you're a racer and hopefully not a street racer) if you have the money to buy it over buying a luxury car?

By the way, I used to be a sports car lover until I realized most sports cars don't have many luxury features and a luxury car costs about the same amount of money

The fun of driving, you don't have to be going 100+mph to enjoy the way a car drives.

To sports car lovers:

Most "sports" cars nowadays have a fairly reasonable amount of luxury included. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes being the obvious ones. Even for uber exotics like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin etc all come pretty standard with luxury features. With the exception of those makers specific race/track tuned models, I'd say almost all high end cars come fairly equipped these days.

To sports car lovers:

They are a lot more fun to drive. As long as I am comfortable and warm, that's enough luxury. Also, you don't have to be going 100+ MPH to have fun. Corners.

Re: Hydrogen vs. electric.. hydrogen fuel cells were the rage 15 years ago but have dropped off in interest since then. I was a fan then and had had high expectations. North Van's Ballard Power couldn't keep up with the money being thrown at them. After doing the research on H fuel cells for my extended essay, unfortunately, it appeared as though the main obstacles for widespread implementation for vehicles was the danger and cost of extracting, transporting and storing Hydrogen to/at fuel stations.

My dad has a TDI Golf (Diesel) and it can get about 800km on a tank

Ooo.. diesel. Does it have the dual clutch transmission too? I'm waiting for the dual clutch transmission for Honda hybrids forecasted.

Honda Reveals i-DCD Dual-Clutch Hybrid for Small Cars

Colum Wood | Nov 12, 10:00 AM

As a part of its new Earth Dreams powertrain rollout, Honda has announced a new 1.5-liter 4-cylinder hybrid mated to a dual-clutch transmission that it believes will deliver segment-leading fuel economy while retaining the brand’s core fun-to-drive quality.

Called Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive (i-DCD), it combines a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine with an electric motor and a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. While no timeline has been given, this powertrain will eventually replace Honda’s current IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system. Used in cars like the CR-Z and Civic Hybrid, Honda recently updated the package to include a lithium-ion battery pack with improved performance and efficiency, though it still failed to compete with segment-leading hybrids.

While a series hybrid system, like IMA, it functions more like a series-parallel design (like that found in the Toyota Prius), enabling propulsion using gas, electricity or a combination of both. Along with regenerative braking, it also features a start-stop system, which shuts down the engine when the vehicle is at idle.

During a future product and technology preview at the Honda R&D center in Utsunomiya, Japan, engineers confirmed a 1.5 to 3 km electric only range at roughly 50 km/h, with a maximum EV speed of 70 km/h.

Honda is claiming the new i-DCD system will return as much as a 30 percent improvement in fuel efficiency over the current system – which can already deliver up to 44 mpg combined in a car like the Civic Hybrid. In addition to natural efficiencies of the system, Honda says the powertrain achieves these numbers by disengaging the gasoline engine from the system under braking, as well as under low speeds and when cruising.

At the same time, acceleration performance with this new powertrain will be improved by 15 percent.

By combing a hybrid powertrain with a dual-clutch transmission Honda is hoping to deliver both maximum fuel economy and an engaging driving experience.

Expect the new i-DCD system to arrive in cars like the next-generation Civic Hybrid, Insight and CR-Z, while it’s use could be extended further, perhaps even to the Fit, as was showcased at the R&D center.

On the topic of economic cars^

How come no ones praising Mazda for their incredible new SkyActiv engines.

I love how Mazda hasn't given up on the internal combustion engine yet and gone to stupid Hybrids. Their new SkyActiv engines increase fuel efficiency and performance outstandingly. Good on Mazda.

Its the one Japanese automaker that hasn't gone the boring, Camry, Civic, Hybrid, etc... way

Archived