• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

True that if you want a Mazda

However,

Posted Image

Nissan 370Z - RWD, V6. Beast of a car

Sooo pimp!! There's a dark blue one at the dealership by my house, I want it so bad. She will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine.
Posted Image

#63 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Posted Image
Honda S2000
I really wanna drive one of these. They look like so much fun
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#64 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm with you, Armada.

Electric cars are a great idea and they will be beneficial to reducing greenhouse gas production. However, BC's electrical grid, and the grids of most other regions, are already taxed to the max. Where are we going to get the electricity for all of these battery operated cars?

I live in Dawson Creek, BC. It is about an hour away from the W.A.C. Bennett Dam in Hudson's Hope, BC, the 17th largest dam in the world.This dam produces the majority of power for BC and holds back the water of BC's largest lake, Williston. How many more of these types of projects can our environment sustain? Our government is currently planning the Site C project further down the Peace River to help produce more electricity to make BC self-sufficient. Electric cars will certainly eat up a large chunk of this power. Are there other options to look at, too? Solar? Wind? Chipmunk?

Discuss.

Electric cars cost pennies on the dollar to charge up compared to petrol based cars.

The power and money we would be spending on coal, would be instead cheap electricity

And yes, solar and wind energy could be converted to electricity to further help savings., personal solar panels are already an example of this

edit: As for my car, 2004 jetta gl with cold air intake, stainless steel brakes, aftermarket fog lights, R32 alloys

Edited by canucklax, 27 October 2012 - 12:01 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#65 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

edit: As for my car, 2004 jetta gl with cold air intake, stainless steel brakes, aftermarket fog lights, R32 alloys

Sounds like a cool car. I love Volkswagens. Hoping to buy a GTI at some point
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#66 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Sounds like a cool car. I love Volkswagens. Hoping to buy a GTI at some point

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, no reliability issues so far(had it for 2 years now), decent fuel mileage, fun to drive

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#67 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have a 93 Mustang (It's only a 2.3L but it has all the GT body pieces).
First car, she does alright, pretty good on gas for a car her age. Steep hills are a natural enemy.
Posted Image
(Not my car, but darn near identical, mine has different rims and the slot rear lights)

Edited by Jagermeister, 27 October 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

#68 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I've been driving this for the last two years...not my truck in the picture but it looks exactly like that (no aftermarket upgrades). Planning to downgrade to the brand new Infiniti JX or maybe upgrade to a Porsche Cayenne GTS * "company car" tax benefits *lease

Posted Image

Posted Image

#69 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Funniest Top Gear ever
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#70 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm with you, Armada.

Electric cars are a great idea and they will be beneficial to reducing greenhouse gas production. However, BC's electrical grid, and the grids of most other regions, are already taxed to the max. Where are we going to get the electricity for all of these battery operated cars?

I live in Dawson Creek, BC. It is about an hour away from the W.A.C. Bennett Dam in Hudson's Hope, BC, the 17th largest dam in the world.This dam produces the majority of power for BC and holds back the water of BC's largest lake, Williston. How many more of these types of projects can our environment sustain? Our government is currently planning the Site C project further down the Peace River to help produce more electricity to make BC self-sufficient. Electric cars will certainly eat up a large chunk of this power. Are there other options to look at, too? Solar? Wind? Chipmunk?

Discuss.

Right on.

Completely agree. Luckily here in BC we have cleaner energy than other provinces or other countries but when you charge your car which is getting the energy through a coal plant or any other none clean energy plant then I wouldn't necessarily say you're doing a good thing.

On top of that the car itself is a lot worse towards the environment just to build compared to a normal car due to the manufacturing of the batteries and when you have to replace these batteries there's no true way to dispose of the old ones in clean fashion.

That's why I still say the there's a long road ahead before electric cars are actually "clean" or practical.

I guess while we're on the topic, this is what I drive.

97 Mazda MX6

Posted Image

Love it, first car I've owned and its a quick little sucker (V6) plus fun to drive. Downside is that its an auto which these Mazda's are notoriously known to be bad for, sadly my parents opted for it so I could "learn" the road even though I learned on a standard.

Been driving it for 2 years now and hasn't let me down. Saving up for a Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer in the near future.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, no reliability issues so far(had it for 2 years now), decent fuel mileage, fun to drive

Oddly enough, I've had more issues and I'm driving the Japanese car which are known for their reliability. Had to replace whole exhaust system and whole intake gasket. Pricy but crucial. On the other hand I have a friend who drives a 2000 Jetta and he's spent more than $2000 on repairs within a year.

Edited by Armada, 27 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#71 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Oddly enough, I've had more issues and I'm driving the Japanese car which are known for their reliability. Had to replace whole exhaust system and whole intake gasket. Pricy but crucial. On the other hand I have a friend who drives a 2000 Jetta and he's spent more than $2000 on repairs within a year.

Ouch, I'm hoping to avoid running into that, but 10 years is known as a vertex for german car reliability, at that point things can start going bad quickly. The previous owner of my car took good care of it according to the records, so I'm really trying to push that figure to 12 or 14 by which point I'll hopefully be in the market for a new vehicle

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#72 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Completely agree. Luckily here in BC we have cleaner energy than other provinces or other countries but when you charge your car which is getting the energy through a coal plant or any other none clean energy plant then I wouldn't necessarily say you're doing a good thing.

On top of that the car itself is a lot worse towards the environment just to build compared to a normal car due to the manufacturing of the batteries and when you have to replace these batteries there's no true way to dispose of the old ones in clean fashion.

The "coal plant electricity is just as bad" argument is incorrect. It has been found that using a Nissan Leaf vehicle running on purely electric power received from a coal fueled electric plant emits less than 10% of the emissions of a similar gas burning automobile. it turns out that a billion dollar coal processing plant is much more efficient than a 20 thousand dollar car in regards to emissions. Add in any form of alternative energy ( like hydro here in BC) and it goes even further in favor of electric.

The battery part is true to a point in that the batteries CAN be recycled but the process isnt cost effective at all yet so nobody anywhere is doing it. But thats all part of the process of change. Batteries will get better in both how long they last and how they are recyclable and recycling costs will go down to the point that its a workable business.

Everybody loves to hate hybrids and electrics with reasons and arguments that usually dont make much sense. Its an odd phenomenon.

Posted Image

#73 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I guess while we're on the topic, this is what I drive.

97 Mazda MX6

Posted Image

Love it, first car I've owned and its a quick little sucker (V6) plus fun to drive. Downside is that its an auto which these Mazda's are notoriously known to be bad for, sadly my parents opted for it so I could "learn" the road even though I learned on a standard.

Been driving it for 2 years now and hasn't let me down. Saving up for a Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer in the near future.

I like it. Too bad it's an automatic though, standards are so much more fun. Still, it looks like a blast to drive. My mom has an 03' Jetta 1.8T and is has had tons of problems. She had to replace the whole turbo at one point. It hasn't had any problems lately though. It is really fun to drive, the turbo really adds a lot of power

Edited by Alexander Edler 23, 28 October 2012 - 10:38 AM.

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#74 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

The "coal plant electricity is just as bad" argument is incorrect. It has been found that using a Nissan Leaf vehicle running on purely electric power received from a coal fueled electric plant emits less than 10% of the emissions of a similar gas burning automobile. it turns out that a billion dollar coal processing plant is much more efficient than a 20 thousand dollar car in regards to emissions. Add in any form of alternative energy ( like hydro here in BC) and it goes even further in favor of electric.

The battery part is true to a point in that the batteries CAN be recycled but the process isnt cost effective at all yet so nobody anywhere is doing it. But thats all part of the process of change. Batteries will get better in both how long they last and how they are recyclable and recycling costs will go down to the point that its a workable business.

Everybody loves to hate hybrids and electrics with reasons and arguments that usually dont make much sense. Its an odd phenomenon.

As I've said 10 years from now it'll be perfected or at least close.

Another thing I'd like to add is the price of electric cars is way to expensive for the public to actually afford.

I believe the base model is $38,000 for the Nissan Leaf and then there's the Chevy Volt (Which I wouldn't call a full EV) starts at $31,000. When we start seeing EV cars in the Toyota Corolla pricing region then we'll be seeing more electric vehicles on the road.

Edited by Armada, 28 October 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#75 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

Does anyone else think this is stupid? A hatchback Ferrari? I think it's kind of ridiculous
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#76 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,829 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

It's not that odd really, people hate change + electric cars are change = people hate electric cars.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#77 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm with you, Armada.

Discuss.

http://automobiles.h...om/fcx-clarity/
and
http://automobiles.h...gy-station.aspx

pretty much makes both gas and electric cars worthless. We, as a planet, need these to take over. Hydrogen refueling stations need to expand beyond southern california (they need to be added to every gas station) for long distance travel, and the home refueling station can help subsidize costs for daily driving.

As for the problem with electric cars, they take forever and a day to recharge, and are limited in distance. Hydrogen is the real future, screw electric.

Edited by avelanch, 29 October 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#78 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

http://automobiles.h...om/fcx-clarity/
and

pretty much makes both gas and electric cars worthless. We, as a planet, need these to take over. Hydrogen refueling stations need to expand beyond southern california (they need to be added to every gas station) for long distance travel, and the home refueling station can help subsidize costs for daily driving.

As for the problem with electric cars, they take forever and a day to recharge, and are limited in distance. Hydrogen is the real future, screw electric.

Hydrogen, at its theoretically most effiecient is still below electric power.

The high volume re-charge plugs for electric cars can refill the battery in 30 minutes, and range is pretty much equal to other cars now

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#79 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Here I thought this thread was about the band:

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#80 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hydrogen, at its theoretically most effiecient is still below electric power.

The high volume re-charge plugs for electric cars can refill the battery in 30 minutes, and range is pretty much equal to other cars now

who wants to take a road trip being forced to stop for 30 min (at absolute minimum, up to 8 hours and up with a normal plug) every 200 miles (give or take). Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a quick 3-5 min refill and go. it's the best analogue to current cars in terms of reliability and convenience but without any of the emissions. and any advances in the electric motor can be applied to the hydrogen car, as it uses the same motors to drive the vehicle. It's just an all around better solution, and it doesn't further tax an already "at capacity" power grid.

Edited by avelanch, 29 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#81 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

who wants to take a road trip being forced to stop for 30 min (at absolute minimum, up to 8 hours and up with a normal plug) every 200 miles (give or take). Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a quick 3-5 min refill and go. it's the best analogue to current cars in terms of reliability and convenience but without any of the emissions. and any advances in the electric motor can be applied to the hydrogen car, as it uses the same motors to drive the vehicle. It's just an all around better solution, and it doesn't further tax an already "at capacity" power grid.

Tesla electric vehicles have a range of 300 miles already, and improving. Also, it can be filled up at any household, hydrogen vehicles do not have that convenience

the "at capacity" power grid argument is also wrong, charging a car takes a minimal amount of energy compared to what you get out of it. Also, alternative forms of getting power to households could also be used, but aren't

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#82 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Tesla electric vehicles have a range of 300 miles already, and improving. Also, it can be filled up at any household, hydrogen vehicles do not have that convenience

maybe not right now, but if you would have read my second link, it's only a matter of time.
Once hydrogen cars start to take over, I can see the government mandate all new house construction that uses natural gas for heating to have that system installed at the same time, or most people choosing the option (or adding it on to their house). I know I would add it to mine in a heartbeat if I had one, hell I'd have my name on the waitlist for the car already if I lived in Southern California where it's available

the "at capacity" power grid argument is also wrong, charging a car takes a minimal amount of energy compared to what you get out of it. Also, alternative forms of getting power to households could also be used, but aren't

if you convert everyone who is using gas powered cars over to electric the power grid would not be able to survive that in it's current state. Hell most big cities can't even survive a heat wave without having all the air conditioners cause rolling blackouts/brownouts. It doesn't matter how much you "get out of it" it's going to cause a huge strain. Sure, a single car doesn't have the impact to cause a strain, but the millions of cars that would switch over would crush it, especially if they used the "high-volume" recharge option, which everyone would, given the choice.

#83 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

maybe not right now, but if you would have read my second link, it's only a matter of time.
Once hydrogen cars start to take over, I can see the government mandate all new house construction that uses natural gas for heating to have that system installed at the same time, or most people choosing the option (or adding it on to their house). I know I would add it to mine in a heartbeat if I had one, hell I'd have my name on the waitlist for the car already if I lived in Southern California where it's available

That would never happen, so few houses use natural gas, even fewer would pay more to have that installed, and having to buy a new car

if you convert everyone who is using gas powered cars over to electric the power grid would not be able to survive that in it's current state. Hell most big cities can't even survive a heat wave without having all the air conditioners cause rolling blackouts/brownouts. It doesn't matter how much you "get out of it" it's going to cause a huge strain. Sure, a single car doesn't have the impact to cause a strain, but the millions of cars that would switch over would crush it, especially if they used the "high-volume" recharge option, which everyone would, given the choice.

That's where the alternate forms of power come in. Solar panels on houses to reduce electricity needs from the power plant, wind farms, etc

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#84 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

That's where the alternate forms of power come in. Solar panels on houses to reduce electricity needs from the power plant, wind farms, etc

*ahem*

That would never happen, so few houses use natural gas, even fewer would pay more to have that installed, and having to buy a new car

same rule applies to your alternate forms of home power to charge your car, does it not? or does it only apply to my argument because you're making it? you can't have it both ways, added cost is added cost. people are either willing to pay for it or they are not.

as for "noone uses natural gas for heating"
*cough*so wrong*cough*
http://www.eia.gov/t...ail.cfm?id=7690
Posted Image

combine that with relatively free fuel production as a byproduct for heating your home, and you don't think nearly everyone who gets a hydrogen car would add it to their home? Certainly everyone who has natural gas (around half of the nation's houses) would.

Edited by avelanch, 29 October 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#85 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

*ahem*
same rule applies to your alternate forms of home power to charge your car, does it not? or does it only apply to my argument because you're making it? you can't have it both ways, added cost is added cost. people are either willing to pay for it or they are not.

as for "noone uses natural gas for heating"
*cough*so wrong*cough*
http://www.eia.gov/t...ail.cfm?id=7690
Posted Image

combine that with relatively free fuel production as a byproduct for heating your home, and you don't think nearly everyone who gets a hydrogen car would add it to their home? Certainly everyone who has natural gas (around half of the nation's houses) would.

What's easier: making an addition to the house to get natural gas in your car, or plugging it in like you do with everything else nowadays?

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#86 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

also, that statistic is only for Canada, car makers build cars for a global market. How many houses in the US, Europe and Asia are run on natural gas?

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#87 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

What's easier: making an addition to the house to get natural gas in your car, or plugging it in like you do with everything else nowadays?

still doesn't address the ower grid
and what's more appealing? getting free fuel as a byproduct of heating your home and being able to refuel in 3-5 min like a gas car? or an additional electricity cost and +8 hour charge times (if people are not willing to instal a small hydrogen system, they will not be willing to add a high-volume charging outlet

#88 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

also, that statistic is only for Canada, car makers build cars for a global market. How many houses in the US, Europe and Asia are run on natural gas?

that stat is for the USA... you really need to check the links before you talk about them.
from the link:

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration, Residential Energy Consumption Survey 2009.
Note: 'Other' includes homes primarily heated by fuel oil, liquefied petroleum gases (propane), wood, kerosene, as well as homes that reported no main space heating fuel used in 2009.

Edited by avelanch, 29 October 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#89 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Were there any numbers on how much the cars themselves are going to cost? It seems to me that each company just keeps one example of the technology, but no production cars have ever come out for sale, lease only.

Electric cars on the other hand are already available from many companies

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#90 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Here I thought this thread was about the band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxB8Z7GL6yc

Good one, Heretic!

I'll take the duo of Moving In Stereo and All Mixed up from their debut.

Edited by Hugemanskost, 29 October 2012 - 05:00 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.