The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Automotive Enthusiast Thread

Mr. White

I'm with you, Armada.

Electric cars are a great idea and they will be beneficial to reducing greenhouse gas production. However, BC's electrical grid, and the grids of most other regions, are already taxed to the max. Where are we going to get the electricity for all of these battery operated cars?

I live in Dawson Creek, BC. It is about an hour away from the W.A.C. Bennett Dam in Hudson's Hope, BC, the 17th largest dam in the world.This dam produces the majority of power for BC and holds back the water of BC's largest lake, Williston. How many more of these types of projects can our environment sustain? Our government is currently planning the Site C project further down the Peace River to help produce more electricity to make BC self-sufficient. Electric cars will certainly eat up a large chunk of this power. Are there other options to look at, too? Solar? Wind? Chipmunk?

Discuss.

Electric cars cost pennies on the dollar to charge up compared to petrol based cars.

The power and money we would be spending on coal, would be instead cheap electricity

And yes, solar and wind energy could be converted to electricity to further help savings., personal solar panels are already an example of this

edit: As for my car, 2004 jetta gl with cold air intake, stainless steel brakes, aftermarket fog lights, R32 alloys

I'm with you, Armada.

Electric cars are a great idea and they will be beneficial to reducing greenhouse gas production. However, BC's electrical grid, and the grids of most other regions, are already taxed to the max. Where are we going to get the electricity for all of these battery operated cars?

I live in Dawson Creek, BC. It is about an hour away from the W.A.C. Bennett Dam in Hudson's Hope, BC, the 17th largest dam in the world.This dam produces the majority of power for BC and holds back the water of BC's largest lake, Williston. How many more of these types of projects can our environment sustain? Our government is currently planning the Site C project further down the Peace River to help produce more electricity to make BC self-sufficient. Electric cars will certainly eat up a large chunk of this power. Are there other options to look at, too? Solar? Wind? Chipmunk?

Discuss.

Right on.

Completely agree. Luckily here in BC we have cleaner energy than other provinces or other countries but when you charge your car which is getting the energy through a coal plant or any other none clean energy plant then I wouldn't necessarily say you're doing a good thing.

On top of that the car itself is a lot worse towards the environment just to build compared to a normal car due to the manufacturing of the batteries and when you have to replace these batteries there's no true way to dispose of the old ones in clean fashion.

That's why I still say the there's a long road ahead before electric cars are actually "clean" or practical.

I guess while we're on the topic, this is what I drive.

97 Mazda MX6

$%28KGrHqVHJCME+,Iwd7j+BQK%29isgGIQ~~48_35.JPG

Love it, first car I've owned and its a quick little sucker (V6) plus fun to drive. Downside is that its an auto which these Mazda's are notoriously known to be bad for, sadly my parents opted for it so I could "learn" the road even though I learned on a standard.

Been driving it for 2 years now and hasn't let me down. Saving up for a Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer in the near future.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, no reliability issues so far(had it for 2 years now), decent fuel mileage, fun to drive

Oddly enough, I've had more issues and I'm driving the Japanese car which are known for their reliability. Had to replace whole exhaust system and whole intake gasket. Pricy but crucial. On the other hand I have a friend who drives a 2000 Jetta and he's spent more than $2000 on repairs within a year.

Oddly enough, I've had more issues and I'm driving the Japanese car which are known for their reliability. Had to replace whole exhaust system and whole intake gasket. Pricy but crucial. On the other hand I have a friend who drives a 2000 Jetta and he's spent more than $2000 on repairs within a year.

Ouch, I'm hoping to avoid running into that, but 10 years is known as a vertex for german car reliability, at that point things can start going bad quickly. The previous owner of my car took good care of it according to the records, so I'm really trying to push that figure to 12 or 14 by which point I'll hopefully be in the market for a new vehicle

Completely agree. Luckily here in BC we have cleaner energy than other provinces or other countries but when you charge your car which is getting the energy through a coal plant or any other none clean energy plant then I wouldn't necessarily say you're doing a good thing.

On top of that the car itself is a lot worse towards the environment just to build compared to a normal car due to the manufacturing of the batteries and when you have to replace these batteries there's no true way to dispose of the old ones in clean fashion.

The "coal plant electricity is just as bad" argument is incorrect. It has been found that using a Nissan Leaf vehicle running on purely electric power received from a coal fueled electric plant emits less than 10% of the emissions of a similar gas burning automobile. it turns out that a billion dollar coal processing plant is much more efficient than a 20 thousand dollar car in regards to emissions. Add in any form of alternative energy ( like hydro here in BC) and it goes even further in favor of electric.

The battery part is true to a point in that the batteries CAN be recycled but the process isnt cost effective at all yet so nobody anywhere is doing it. But thats all part of the process of change. Batteries will get better in both how long they last and how they are recyclable and recycling costs will go down to the point that its a workable business.

Everybody loves to hate hybrids and electrics with reasons and arguments that usually dont make much sense. Its an odd phenomenon.

I guess while we're on the topic, this is what I drive.

97 Mazda MX6

$%28KGrHqVHJCME+,Iwd7j+BQK%29isgGIQ~~48_35.JPG

Love it, first car I've owned and its a quick little sucker (V6) plus fun to drive. Downside is that its an auto which these Mazda's are notoriously known to be bad for, sadly my parents opted for it so I could "learn" the road even though I learned on a standard.

Been driving it for 2 years now and hasn't let me down. Saving up for a Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancer in the near future.

I like it. Too bad it's an automatic though, standards are so much more fun. Still, it looks like a blast to drive. My mom has an 03' Jetta 1.8T and is has had tons of problems. She had to replace the whole turbo at one point. It hasn't had any problems lately though. It is really fun to drive, the turbo really adds a lot of power

The "coal plant electricity is just as bad" argument is incorrect. It has been found that using a Nissan Leaf vehicle running on purely electric power received from a coal fueled electric plant emits less than 10% of the emissions of a similar gas burning automobile. it turns out that a billion dollar coal processing plant is much more efficient than a 20 thousand dollar car in regards to emissions. Add in any form of alternative energy ( like hydro here in BC) and it goes even further in favor of electric.

The battery part is true to a point in that the batteries CAN be recycled but the process isnt cost effective at all yet so nobody anywhere is doing it. But thats all part of the process of change. Batteries will get better in both how long they last and how they are recyclable and recycling costs will go down to the point that its a workable business.

Everybody loves to hate hybrids and electrics with reasons and arguments that usually dont make much sense. Its an odd phenomenon.

As I've said 10 years from now it'll be perfected or at least close.

Another thing I'd like to add is the price of electric cars is way to expensive for the public to actually afford.

I believe the base model is $38,000 for the Nissan Leaf and then there's the Chevy Volt (Which I wouldn't call a full EV) starts at $31,000. When we start seeing EV cars in the Toyota Corolla pricing region then we'll be seeing more electric vehicles on the road.

Guest Gumballthechewy

It's not that odd really, people hate change + electric cars are change = people hate electric cars.

I'm with you, Armada.

Discuss.

http://automobiles.h...om/fcx-clarity/

and

http://automobiles.h...gy-station.aspx

pretty much makes both gas and electric cars worthless. We, as a planet, need these to take over. Hydrogen refueling stations need to expand beyond southern california (they need to be added to every gas station) for long distance travel, and the home refueling station can help subsidize costs for daily driving.

As for the problem with electric cars, they take forever and a day to recharge, and are limited in distance. Hydrogen is the real future, screw electric.

http://automobiles.h...om/fcx-clarity/

and

http://automobiles.h...gy-station.aspx

pretty much makes both gas and electric cars worthless. We, as a planet, need these to take over. Hydrogen refueling stations need to expand beyond southern california (they need to be added to every gas station) for long distance travel, and the home refueling station can help subsidize costs for daily driving.

As for the problem with electric cars, they take forever and a day to recharge, and are limited in distance. Hydrogen is the real future, screw electric.

Hydrogen, at its theoretically most effiecient is still below electric power.

The high volume re-charge plugs for electric cars can refill the battery in 30 minutes, and range is pretty much equal to other cars now

Hydrogen, at its theoretically most effiecient is still below electric power.

The high volume re-charge plugs for electric cars can refill the battery in 30 minutes, and range is pretty much equal to other cars now

who wants to take a road trip being forced to stop for 30 min (at absolute minimum, up to 8 hours and up with a normal plug) every 200 miles (give or take). Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a quick 3-5 min refill and go. it's the best analogue to current cars in terms of reliability and convenience but without any of the emissions. and any advances in the electric motor can be applied to the hydrogen car, as it uses the same motors to drive the vehicle. It's just an all around better solution, and it doesn't further tax an already "at capacity" power grid.

Archived