235 replies to this topic

#121 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

yea, he's definitely weird. and if you made it 4wd it would only be faster if you added a second electric motor to drive the front wheels, otherwise the single motor has to drive another axle, making it less powerful.

you would have to think that it would be so much faster if he used a modern car, with a streamlined body, and lighter everything.

Actually, the datsun is probably really light given it was made in 1972. Cars today weigh so much more than cars from that time

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#122 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Actually, the datsun is probably really light given it was made in 1972. Cars today weigh so much more than cars from that time

still, it's like driving a box :P

#123 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

still, it's like driving a box :P

true haha

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#124 i am a beast

i am a beast

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'm jealous. I've always wanted to drive a Lotus. Hopefully I'll have an Elise one day lol

Better have a second car to haul groceries with, the trunk can only hold 50kg LOL

#125 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Better have a second car to haul groceries with, the trunk can only hold 50kg LOL

Meh, I can just take a couple trips if necessary
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#126 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Ya but Subaru badge > Scion badge.

Plus I'm looking forward to the Subaru STI version of the BRZ.

They just announced a supercharged version of the FRS/FT-86 :bigblush:

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#127 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I saw that ^. Sounds like big news, going to be one fast car due to how light it is.

Also does anyone here watch MightyCarMods. Love it, such a good show. They do many customizations to good and bad cars and silly ones too. Great car show.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#128 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I saw that ^. Sounds like big news, going to be one fast car due to how light it is.

Also does anyone here watch MightyCarMods. Love it, such a good show. They do many customizations to good and bad cars and silly ones too. Great car show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx9plJ5gmNg

I've been watching them for a while. They are pretty awesome dudes. I love how the do everything in their garage/driveway
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#129 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Tesla Model S

Yahoo Car of year http://ca.autos.yaho...s.html?page=all

Automobile Car of Year http://www.automobil..._tesla_model_s/

Motor Trend Car of Year http://www.motortren..._model_s/?ti=v3

Wired car of the Year http://www.wired.com...-tesla-model-s/

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#130 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Few of my dream cars:
Posted Image
Ariel Atom 500

Posted Image
1969 Mustang Boss 429

Posted ImageFerrari 599 GTO

Posted Image
Pontiac GTO

Also like 4x4 trucks, thinking of getting an old beater Toyota to go wheeling in.

Edited by etsen3, 13 November 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#131 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Few of my dream cars:
Posted Image
Ariel Atom 500

Such an awesome car! I would love to drive one. Also Toyota makes great trucks
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#132 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

To sports car lovers:
Why get a sports car (unless you're a racer and hopefully not a street racer) if you have the money to buy it over buying a luxury car?

By the way, I used to be a sports car lover until I realized most sports cars don't have many luxury features and a luxury car costs about the same amount of money
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#133 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

To sports car lovers:
Why get a sports car (unless you're a racer and hopefully not a street racer) if you have the money to buy it over buying a luxury car?

By the way, I used to be a sports car lover until I realized most sports cars don't have many luxury features and a luxury car costs about the same amount of money

The fun of driving, you don't have to be going 100+mph to enjoy the way a car drives.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#134 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

To sports car lovers:

Compensation.
Posted Image

#135 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

My car: Cadillac CTS

Posted Image

My attainable dream car: 997 turbo

Posted Image

My unattainable dream car: Pagani Zonda R

Posted Image

#136 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

To sports car lovers:

Most "sports" cars nowadays have a fairly reasonable amount of luxury included. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes being the obvious ones. Even for uber exotics like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin etc all come pretty standard with luxury features. With the exception of those makers specific race/track tuned models, I'd say almost all high end cars come fairly equipped these days.

#137 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

To sports car lovers:

They are a lot more fun to drive. As long as I am comfortable and warm, that's enough luxury. Also, you don't have to be going 100+ MPH to have fun. Corners.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#138 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Compensation.

No. That's what trucks are for.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#139 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Re: Hydrogen vs. electric.. hydrogen fuel cells were the rage 15 years ago but have dropped off in interest since then. I was a fan then and had had high expectations. North Van's Ballard Power couldn't keep up with the money being thrown at them. After doing the research on H fuel cells for my extended essay, unfortunately, it appeared as though the main obstacles for widespread implementation for vehicles was the danger and cost of extracting, transporting and storing Hydrogen to/at fuel stations.

My dad has a TDI Golf (Diesel) and it can get about 800km on a tank

Ooo.. diesel. Does it have the dual clutch transmission too? I'm waiting for the dual clutch transmission for Honda hybrids forecasted.

Honda Reveals i-DCD Dual-Clutch Hybrid for Small Cars
Colum Wood | Nov 12, 10:00 AM

As a part of its new Earth Dreams powertrain rollout, Honda has announced a new 1.5-liter 4-cylinder hybrid mated to a dual-clutch transmission that it believes will deliver segment-leading fuel economy while retaining the brand’s core fun-to-drive quality.

Called Intelligent Dual Clutch Drive (i-DCD), it combines a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine with an electric motor and a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. While no timeline has been given, this powertrain will eventually replace Honda’s current IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system. Used in cars like the CR-Z and Civic Hybrid, Honda recently updated the package to include a lithium-ion battery pack with improved performance and efficiency, though it still failed to compete with segment-leading hybrids.
While a series hybrid system, like IMA, it functions more like a series-parallel design (like that found in the Toyota Prius), enabling propulsion using gas, electricity or a combination of both. Along with regenerative braking, it also features a start-stop system, which shuts down the engine when the vehicle is at idle.
During a future product and technology preview at the Honda R&D center in Utsunomiya, Japan, engineers confirmed a 1.5 to 3 km electric only range at roughly 50 km/h, with a maximum EV speed of 70 km/h.
Honda is claiming the new i-DCD system will return as much as a 30 percent improvement in fuel efficiency over the current system – which can already deliver up to 44 mpg combined in a car like the Civic Hybrid. In addition to natural efficiencies of the system, Honda says the powertrain achieves these numbers by disengaging the gasoline engine from the system under braking, as well as under low speeds and when cruising.
At the same time, acceleration performance with this new powertrain will be improved by 15 percent.
By combing a hybrid powertrain with a dual-clutch transmission Honda is hoping to deliver both maximum fuel economy and an engaging driving experience.
Expect the new i-DCD system to arrive in cars like the next-generation Civic Hybrid, Insight and CR-Z, while it’s use could be extended further, perhaps even to the Fit, as was showcased at the R&D center.

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#140 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

On the topic of economic cars^

How come no ones praising Mazda for their incredible new SkyActiv engines.

I love how Mazda hasn't given up on the internal combustion engine yet and gone to stupid Hybrids. Their new SkyActiv engines increase fuel efficiency and performance outstandingly. Good on Mazda.

Its the one Japanese automaker that hasn't gone the boring, Camry, Civic, Hybrid, etc... way
Posted Image

#141 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

On the topic of economic cars^

How come no ones praising Mazda for their incredible new SkyActiv engines.

I love how Mazda hasn't given up on the internal combustion engine yet and gone to stupid Hybrids. Their new SkyActiv engines increase fuel efficiency and performance outstandingly. Good on Mazda.

Its the one Japanese automaker that hasn't gone the boring, Camry, Civic, Hybrid, etc... way

I do like what they did to get the rotary engine back in the discussion. I've never owned a mazda but the people that I know that have, absolutely loved them

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#142 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Ooo.. diesel. Does it have the dual clutch transmission too?

Nope, it's actually a standard
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#143 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Nope, it's actually a standard

Right on. Hate how some companies are shying away from standard transmission now and not offering it for certain cars now.
Posted Image

#144 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Right on. Hate how some companies are shying away from standard transmission now and not offering it for certain cars now.

its based on drivers sadly. Most people learning nowadays are using automatics. Dual clutch transmissions are probably the closest to manuals as the future will get

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#145 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

its based on drivers sadly. Most people learning nowadays are using automatics. Dual clutch transmissions are probably the closest to manuals as the future will get

I think people should have to learn how to drive standard. Just in case of emergency
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#146 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

:lol:
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#147 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I think people should have to learn how to drive standard. Just in case of emergency

i totally agree.

re: your diesel golf. thanks for answering. i want to know how the ride is for the dual clutch, hence the question. i'm curious as to how the ride is compared to the manual and automatic.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#148 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

i totally agree.

re: your diesel golf. thanks for answering. i want to know how the ride is for the dual clutch, hence the question. i'm curious as to how the ride is compared to the manual and automatic.

Yeah me too. It's an interesting concept. Most of the newer cars have them now
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#149 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#150 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Bumping with some Jay Leno's garage!

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.