235 replies to this topic

#151 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Nice cars in this thread! Some I've never even seen before.
I thought I'd pose a question to see if anyone has experience with one particular type of car i'm looking at purchasing.
My fiance was hit by/hit a deer and pretty much wrecked our old winter car, a 1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6. Not the greatest car or anything but it was an older car and very reliable vehicle for her for winter-only driving. I'm thinking of replacing that old trusty car with one she found on buysell nd likes the looks of- a 2002 VW Passat 1.8t, with power everything, heated everything and triptronic trans(only 109,000k on it too!)
Has anyone had any experience with these cars? I've never owned a VW but my friends say they last forever, have pep and very nice fit & finish.
My daily driver is a 2009 Ranger 4x4 and hers a 2008 Acura TL (?) type S.

edit: I know every car is different and all have their own quirks etc. I'm just looking for an opinion perhaps on the brand or model if anyone here has had experince with these cars?

Edited by MC Fatigue, 13 December 2012 - 12:42 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#152 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I thought I'd pose a question to see if anyone has experience with one particular type of car i'm looking at purchasing.
My fiance was hit by/hit a deer and pretty much wrecked our old winter car, a 1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6. Not the greatest car or anything but it was an older car and very reliable vehicle for her for winter-only driving. I'm thinking of replacing that old trusty car with one she found on buysell nd likes the looks of- a 2002 VW Passat 1.8t, with power everything, heated everything and triptronic trans(only 109,000k on it too!)
Has anyone had any experience with these cars? I've never owned a VW but my friends say they last forever, have pep and very nice fit & finish.

edit: I know every car is different and all have their own quirks etc. I'm just looking for an opinion perhaps on the brand or model if anyone here has had experince with these cars?

I drive an 04 jetta, so while not the same its in the same production generation, and very similar. I love the car, its reliable, decent gas mileage, fun to drive. I've heard lots of issues with the turbocharger from that generation so I'd do my homework on it before buying anything. My jetta only has 66k miles on it, which would be pretty close to 109k and as long as it was properly maintained before hand, there shouldn't be any problems

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#153 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have an '04 Jetta 1.8T with the triptronic. It is a great car, like canucklax said. However, you are right about the turbo. The only major problem that mine has had is the turbo went (quite expensive to repair). But other than that it has been an awesome car! And with only 100,000km for an '02 that's pretty good so I would look into it!
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#154 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I drive an 04 jetta, so while not the same its in the same production generation, and very similar. I love the car, its reliable, decent gas mileage, fun to drive. I've heard lots of issues with the turbocharger from that generation so I'd do my homework on it before buying anything. My jetta only has 66k miles on it, which would be pretty close to 109k and as long as it was properly maintained before hand, there shouldn't be any problems

I have an '04 Jetta 1.8T with the triptronic. It is a great car, like canucklax said. However, you are right about the turbo. The only major problem that mine has had is the turbo went (quite expensive to repair). But other than that it has been an awesome car! And with only 100,000km for an '02 that's pretty good so I would look into it!

So sounds to me like the turbo may be the only glaring issue... That's good to hear and also very helpful to hear from folks who have these types of cars. I've heard repairs and maintenance can be pricey as well, is there any validity to that? After looking around at online parts stores and websites such as Canadian tire etc. It seems to me on parts such as the usual suspects; sparkplugs, air cleaner, etc- one may expect to pay ~$5 over what a part for, say, a Honda might be? I prefer to do my own maintenance but i've seen "volkswagen specialty" type shops pop up and wonder- if there's something I can't tackle myself (used to work in a kind of 'backyard' shop 10-12 years ago) would I expect to pay a premuim just because its a German made vehicle?
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#155 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

So sounds to me like the turbo may be the only glaring issue... That's good to hear and also very helpful to hear from folks who have these types of cars. I've heard repairs and maintenance can be pricey as well, is there any validity to that? After looking around at online parts stores and websites such as Canadian tire etc. It seems to me on parts such as the usual suspects; sparkplugs, air cleaner, etc- one may expect to pay ~$5 over what a part for, say, a Honda might be? I prefer to do my own maintenance but i've seen "volkswagen specialty" type shops pop up and wonder- if there's something I can't tackle myself (used to work in a kind of 'backyard' shop 10-12 years ago) would I expect to pay a premuim just because its a German made vehicle?

Yeah unfortunately parts for German cars are always more expensive than a Japanese car
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#156 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Also, why not but something with 4WD if it's for winter driving? Like maybe an old Subaru or something?
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#157 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've never noticed a markup on working on my jetta over our family's suzuki XL7 suv. I haven't yet run into a major repair my dad and I couldn't tackle on the jetta so I can't speak to a mark up from shops or factory parts.

Check out ecstuning.com for OEM parts, they've always done well by me for the upgrades I've put in my car as well as replacing stock parts

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#158 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Also, why not but something with 4WD if it's for winter driving? Like maybe an old Subaru or something?

FWD with snow tires will be fine for everything in the lower mainland.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#159 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Current Vehicle (when I bought it):
Posted Image

Dream Vehicle:
Posted Image

Pretty close, except the $40k difference...

#160 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

I like.

buuuut.. I :( for your gas bill.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#161 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

I must say, this is one of the most productive threads in CN
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#162 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,864 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I like.

buuuut.. I :( for your gas bill.

Chicks dig pickups. I'm hoping they dig it enough to chip in for gas money.

#163 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Chicks dig pickups. I'm hoping they dig it enough to chip in for gas money.

::D
@$$ gas or cash....no-one rides for free!! lol

#164 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

My wish list

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#165 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah unfortunately parts for German cars are always more expensive than a Japanese car

Bought the car. Fiance loves it.

#166 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Bought the car. Fiance loves it.

Atta boy. Pics? :lol:
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#167 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Nothing with a nipple in it.... :(

#168 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#169 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Compensation.

Believe it or not some of actually own or want to own fast cars because of the enjoyment of driving/fixing them or the appreciation of their looks and character, not for the sole purpose of showing off. Not that a little extra attention is a bad thing.

To answer the original question about sports vs luxury cars, it's pretty much just personal preference. Most people want comfort and performance, but some people lean more to the comfort side and some people lean to the performance side. You don't need to be speeding excessively or street racing to feel the power under the hood or the slick handling. For example you can enjoy the torque and acceleration of an engine without even breaking the speed limit. Also I would say that most people with high performance cars do end up bringing them to the track at some point.

#170 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

double post

Edited by etsen3, 15 December 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#171 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Believe it or not some of actually own or want to own fast cars because of the enjoyment of driving/fixing them or the appreciation of their looks and character, not for the sole purpose of showing off. Not that a little extra attention is a bad thing.

To answer the original question about sports vs luxury cars, it's pretty much just personal preference. Most people want comfort and performance, but some people lean more to the comfort side and some people lean to the performance side. You don't need to be speeding excessively or street racing to feel the power under the hood or the slick handling. For example you can enjoy the torque and acceleration of an engine without even breaking the speed limit. Also I would say that most people with high performance cars do end up bringing them to the track at some point.

Posted Image

#172 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Posted Image

He asked

#173 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Sorry, I dont meant to be rude. Compensation = Comparison?
I apologize if I missed something...

#174 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks nice dude. Congrats
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#175 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

^ Thank you.
She's over the moon about this car. Only cost me $6,000 too! Now i'm getting the "see you later, i'm going for a spin" lol. Thanks for the input guys, it helped me make the leap considering i'd never had a VW before. The woman is already talking about selling her Acura and making this the all year 'round vehicle. Has a monster been created??

(p.s. New turbo with more boost coming in the mail by ((so it says)) december 21. Appropriate Christmas gift? LOL!!)

#176 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

^ Thank you.
She's over the moon about this car. Only cost me $6,000 too! Now i'm getting the "see you later, i'm going for a spin" lol. Thanks for the input guys, it helped me make the leap considering i'd never had a VW before. The woman is already talking about selling her Acura and making this the all year 'round vehicle. Has a monster been created??

(p.s. New turbo with more boost coming in the mail by ((so it says)) december 21. Appropriate Christmas gift? LOL!!)

Haha awesome Christmas present: "Here baby I got you a new turbo!" :lol: Also that's a great deal considering the KM's
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#177 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I would die to have a Subaru right now.

STI <3 .

But for the moment my front wheel drive does me well in the snow. Much better than RWD.

Edited by Armada, 15 December 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#178 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Saw one guy 10 years ago with my truck (Nissan king cab) with a higher suspension and it totally looked sexy.

In a world with unlimited fossil fuels, I would be content with this..
Posted Image
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#179 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Guys. What's your thought on the Fiat 500 Abarth.

Abarth to Fiat as is AMG to Mercedes.

The car is fully tuned to be a little race car. For $24,000 you get a Turbocharged 4cylinder engine producing 160hp and 170torque for a 0-60. Super fun car to drive, I'm really considering getting one as my 2nd car in the next few weeks.

Sounds like sex, I want it.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#180 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'm sure it'd be a fun little hot rod to drive, but there's just something that won't let me drive a 500, ever. To me its like an Italian Beetle and too small to be practical. In that type of market, I'd rather have a Polo/Golf or Fiesta.

Plus, as with all Fiats, you're probably going to get to know "Tony" more than you'd like

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.