The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FDA probes 5 deaths linked to MONSTER energy drink

key2thecup

She had a heart condition and drank 2 drinks in which speed up your heart and provide you with energy.... Really stupid move by the parents, feel awful for the girl who died but honestly how stupid can you be.  

Something like this won't stop me from drinking energy drinks, you just have to drink them properly and not overdue it.

I remember back when the first energy drinks came out. Before red bull. Cant even remember what it was called but I tried one. Tasted like crap and just made me jumpy. Never had one again. They werent popular at the time and I was sure it would stay that way but kids are stupid and Monster and red bull spend a lot of money marketing directly to them. Now its considered normal for a kid to grab a red bull instead of a coke. maybe an age restriction should be mandatory for drinks with more than a certain amount of caffeine or sugar in them. Its obvious kids cant be expected to not drink things that are bad for them by themselves. Christ they keep on getting hooked on meth even when being bombarded by the info on how bad it is.

Also for adults, when we were in Vegas last spring I was surprised by every bar offering red bull and jager shots on special. Sure its on special for $5 bucks cuzz its cheap and easy as hell to make. 1/2 can Red bull plus 1 oz Jagermeister and thats it. First off Jagermeister is a herbed liqueur that tastes terrible and only idiots drink it because of its name. Why it became famous here in North America after over 30 years as a mostly disregarded drink in Europe is anybodies guess. Cuzz it was featured in The Hangover? Dont know. Second off Red Bull tasted terrible so the combined drink is god awful. If you need a pick me up have a tequila shot and quite being a little girl.

Did she know about the heart defect in the first place? If she did, then throw this case out - it even says on the can to not consumer if you have problems with your body dealing with caffeine.

Of course, this is the US, where frivolous lawsuits are handed out as freely as dollar bills to a stripper, so anything's possible.

Red Bull is the only one i can tolerate; and eveb then I have maybe 1 or 2 a year.

I only drink them when I am EXHAUSTED and need a boost for a few hours-- i.e. after a night of beers, followed by the first chair at Whistler. But even then I feel like garbage.

Sad for the family, indeed. I don't think they have have a leg to stand on with their lawsuit, though.

What I do hope comes from this is that people realize what it is they are putting into their bodies. That amount of caffeine is dangerous for any of us, let alone those with preexisting medical conditions. 1 can of the Monster = 7 cans of Coke? That's a whole lot of caffeine! For a skinny teenager, that's got to be even harder on the system.

I don't drink coffee nor tea and lucky if I have a can of pop in 1 week.

I do how ever, enjoy having a Rockstar or Monster for my morning "coffee" break.

I am in good health and I talked to a nutritionist about these things.

She told me based on what I also drink (more what I don't drink - coffee) that one a day is fine but don't drink less than 8 hours before sleep and to monitor yourself (IE do they make you dizzy, or sweat, etc...anything abnormal - then stop or reduce the amount).

As far as teens drinking it - again - don't drink more than one!

As far as kids - they shouldn't - I've seen kids like 10 drink those double size cans!

RIP Anais...RIP...

I cant believe people are still drinking that stuff.

Is it somehow an aquired taste? Tastes like battery acid to me.

And really just a horrible idea overall, kids are the last people who should be drinking it and yet they are the target audience/customer/consumer (whatever term)

Archived