26 replies to this topic

#1 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

ok so im going to have a shot at the recent Luongo to Toronto rumors. i have gathered info from this and several other sites about what people think Luo is worth and this is my version of the trade

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo and a 2013 3rd round draft pick
to
Toronto for C Nazem Kadri, D Carl Gunnarsson and a 2013 1st round draft pick

Reason for Toronto:
1. The Leafs get a consistent all-star goalie that can carry them to the playoffs and make them a playoff contender for the next 5-6 years
2. Burke needs Luongo to keep his job. if there is a season he needs to make he playoffs or loose his job and he wont willingly do that. many leafs fans think that Burke will fail the season on purpose to get a high draft pick but that is incredibly unrealistic. he will do whatever he can to make the playoffs including trading away there 1st round draft pick and getting Luongo. besides there 1st rounder should be around the 16-25 range since they have Luongo to get them to the playoffs, and i guarantee that if they have Luongo they make the payoffs. Hence Burke does this trade.

Reasons for Vancouver:
1. Luongo is too good of a goalie to sit on the bench for half a season, personally i would keep him for at least another season while Schneider proves he can handle the starting job, but that's just my opinion and probably wont happen if recent rumors are true.
2. Kadri hasn't worked out well in Toronto and you can tell that both the leafs and Kadri himself are getting discouraged with one another. I just think he needs a chance to prove himself with more than a few games a season, he is a very talented player he just needs a chance. he can be like CoHo was for our 3rd line center he has that skill set. Also he can try and fill into the 2nd line center spot while Kesler is out. I dont think Schroeder will develop into an NHL level centerman due to his lack of size and skill-wise Kadri is the better of the two.
3. Gunnarsson is a reliable Defensive defense-man that can pair up well with either Ballard or Tanev, whomever wins that 5/6th spot on the roster, which gives us a lot of depth if we fall victim to the injury bug again.
4. that 1st round pick will most likely be in the 16-25 range since they will make the playoffs with Luongo, giving us 2 picks in the 2nd half of the draft of a deep draft to add to our prospect pool.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)
Chris Tanev ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,405,000; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,645,000
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#2 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Kassian will be on the second line, not Higgins
Posted Image

#3 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Kassian will be on the second line, not Higgins

i tought of that but i wanted Kassian to develop chemistry with Kadri so they can be a dynamic 1-2 punch
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,001 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Not bad. I would also include Raymond in the TO deal, then trade Ballard for a pick so then we would have just over $13 million in cap space.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Not bad, Kadri seems like a bit of a bust despite the fact that he has sick hands, so I would rather Colborne or Franson back from TO
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Rather have Colbourne than Kadri.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#7 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think I would rather have Gardiner over Gunnarson, Gardiner has better hands and he's younger.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#8 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I think I would rather have Gardiner over Gunnarson, Gardiner has better hands and he's younger.

Yeah you and everyone else as well
Posted Image

#9 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

ok so im going to have a shot at the recent Luongo to Toronto rumors. i have gathered info from this and several other sites about what people think Luo is worth and this is my version of the trade

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo and a 2013 3rd round draft pick
to
Toronto for C Nazem Kadri, D Carl Gunnarsson and a 2013 1st round draft pick

1.) My first thought is, this isn't enough of a return for Luongo. I believe the usual line of thought is that Gillis wants an impact roster player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick. Whether he actually gets all of that remains to be seen). Your deal does get him the 1st, but I don't see Kadri as an impact roster player and Gunnarsson might be a good prospect, but he is not a top prospect, or at least, not one we really need.

Further, I suspect that something more than just a pick will be going to Toronto with Luongo (assuming he does get traded, and he does get traded there :)). The old stand-bys, Ballard and Raymond come to mind. although there might be room to move out a guy like Alberts.

Toronto currently has several d-men listed, with Franson wanting out of Toronto. Assuming Toronto does move a d-man for Luongo, as you have suggested (Gunnarsson). This puts them down two guys (assuming Franson does leave) so they may well want/need to get one back in this deal. Ballard is an obvious choice to be moved by a lot of people, but Alberts is perhaps the more likely guy to be traded here. He has one year left on his contract (so if Burke doesn't want Alberts he can let him walk), has a very reasonable cap hit (less than Gunnarsson's), and his inclusion would allow the Canucks to equal the number of contracts going out as are coming in (Vancouver currently has 48, the Leafs are at 50).

2.) I'm pretty sure that Burke will not give up his 1st rounder in this deal. I agree that it will most likely be in the 16 - 25 range, however, I think Burke is still feeling a bit snake bitten over the Kessel deal. Who thought Toronto would wind up with the 2nd overall that year when they added Kessel? Should the Leafs get Luongo, and they do under-perform (again), I do not believe he would be the GM in Toronto when the season is done.

This being said, Gillis may push for it as a means of prying a higher level prospect out of Burke. Ashton comes to mind, although I do doubt Gillis will be able to get him... but it would be nice if he did.

3.) Kadri might be a good pick up, and he could very well develop into a good player here. This being said, I suspect Gillis will want someone with a bit more of a proven track record to fill in as the 3C on this team. I would have to agree with the folks who have suggested Bozak as the likely choice of Gillis to fill in at that position.

Bozak has a reasonable cap hit, and assuming he re-signs here, he will likely still have a reasonable cap hit. Will Bozak be an impact player here? Hopefully, yes. If nothing else he has two seasons with fairly good results which suggest he could do well here.

4.) If I was going to push Burke for a prospect it would be Ashton. Colborne (who is often suggested as the most likely prospect to be included in the deal) would be nice to have, but I do not see him as being essential with Gaunce in the system.

5.) Vancouver will likely have to take back a cap dump. I believe Lombardi is the usual suspect here. It would be nice if Gillis could steal MacArthur as the cap dump, but that will likely not occur. Burke may try to unload Komisarek, which would not be the end of the world. If he did come here rather than Lombardi, then Ballard would probably have to be moved in this deal or another.

So, what would I like to see? (not that it would happen):

to Toronto - Luongo, Alberts, a mid-level prospect, (perhaps a 3rd)
to Vancouver - Bozak, Ashton, Colborne, Lombardi (cap dump), and the rights to Franson. If the answer is no to Ashton, then I'd want the Toronto 1st.

Bozak can center the 3rd line, and perhaps play the 2C until Kesler returns. Ashton and Colborne would likely find their way to Chicago. Lombardi would be tried here, and if things didn't work out he would be waived or traded. Franson would likely view the situation in Vancouver as being similar to that in Toronto, and would stay in Europe. Gillis could trade his rights for another prospect or a pick.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#10 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Vancouver needs a top 6 player coming back in the return for luongo, how about. To TOR: Luongo + Raymond. To Van: Grabovski + 2013 1st. Toronto gets an elite goaltender who can carry them into the playoffs and a struggling winger who may just need a change of scenery, but can still put up 30 or so points. Vancouver gets a 2nd liner who can put up 50 points, and playing with Kesler possibly more. Then a first round pick in a deep draft which could potentially be a high pick. Toronto gets into the playoffs (maybe) and Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and a high pick (hopefully) to help out the future. win-win situation for both teams if you ask me.
Posted Image

#11 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Vancouver needs a top 6 player coming back in the return for luongo, how about. To TOR: Luongo + Raymond. To Van: Grabovski + 2013 1st. Toronto gets an elite goaltender who can carry them into the playoffs and a struggling winger who may just need a change of scenery, but can still put up 30 or so points. Vancouver gets a 2nd liner who can put up 50 points, and playing with Kesler possibly more. Then a first round pick in a deep draft which could potentially be a high pick. Toronto gets into the playoffs (maybe) and Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and a high pick (hopefully) to help out the future. win-win situation for both teams if you ask me.

Not bad, however, I think the Leafs would have to send out another contract at some point. They are currently sitting at 50, and you have them bringing in one more than they are moving out in this deal.

regards,
G.

#12 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Not bad, however, I think the Leafs would have to send out another contract at some point. They are currently sitting at 50, and you have them bringing in one more than they are moving out in this deal.

regards,
G.

fair enough, I wasnt aware of that, well then how about add a 2nd round pick in on vancouvers side to make up for the loss of the first round pick sent by toronto, then have cody fransons rights coming back to vancouver. So it looks like this; To TOR: Luongo, Raymond, 2nd 2013. To VAN: Grabovski, 1st 2013, Franson
Posted Image

#13 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

1.) My first thought is, this isn't enough of a return for Luongo. I believe the usual line of thought is that Gillis wants an impact roster player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick. Whether he actually gets all of that remains to be seen). Your deal does get him the 1st, but I don't see Kadri as an impact roster player and Gunnarsson might be a good prospect, but he is not a top prospect, or at least, not one we really need.

Further, I suspect that something more than just a pick will be going to Toronto with Luongo (assuming he does get traded, and he does get traded there :)). The old stand-bys, Ballard and Raymond come to mind. although there might be room to move out a guy like Alberts.

Toronto currently has several d-men listed, with Franson wanting out of Toronto. Assuming Toronto does move a d-man for Luongo, as you have suggested (Gunnarsson). This puts them down two guys (assuming Franson does leave) so they may well want/need to get one back in this deal. Ballard is an obvious choice to be moved by a lot of people, but Alberts is perhaps the more likely guy to be traded here. He has one year left on his contract (so if Burke doesn't want Alberts he can let him walk), has a very reasonable cap hit (less than Gunnarsson's), and his inclusion would allow the Canucks to equal the number of contracts going out as are coming in (Vancouver currently has 48, the Leafs are at 50).

2.) I'm pretty sure that Burke will not give up his 1st rounder in this deal. I agree that it will most likely be in the 16 - 25 range, however, I think Burke is still feeling a bit snake bitten over the Kessel deal. Who thought Toronto would wind up with the 2nd overall that year when they added Kessel? Should the Leafs get Luongo, and they do under-perform (again), I do not believe he would be the GM in Toronto when the season is done.

This being said, Gillis may push for it as a means of prying a higher level prospect out of Burke. Ashton comes to mind, although I do doubt Gillis will be able to get him... but it would be nice if he did.

3.) Kadri might be a good pick up, and he could very well develop into a good player here. This being said, I suspect Gillis will want someone with a bit more of a proven track record to fill in as the 3C on this team. I would have to agree with the folks who have suggested Bozak as the likely choice of Gillis to fill in at that position.

Bozak has a reasonable cap hit, and assuming he re-signs here, he will likely still have a reasonable cap hit. Will Bozak be an impact player here? Hopefully, yes. If nothing else he has two seasons with fairly good results which suggest he could do well here.

4.) If I was going to push Burke for a prospect it would be Ashton. Colborne (who is often suggested as the most likely prospect to be included in the deal) would be nice to have, but I do not see him as being essential with Gaunce in the system.

5.) Vancouver will likely have to take back a cap dump. I believe Lombardi is the usual suspect here. It would be nice if Gillis could steal MacArthur as the cap dump, but that will likely not occur. Burke may try to unload Komisarek, which would not be the end of the world. If he did come here rather than Lombardi, then Ballard would probably have to be moved in this deal or another.

So, what would I like to see? (not that it would happen):

to Toronto - Luongo, Alberts, a mid-level prospect, (perhaps a 3rd)
to Vancouver - Bozak, Ashton, Colborne, Lombardi (cap dump), and the rights to Franson. If the answer is no to Ashton, then I'd want the Toronto 1st.

Bozak can center the 3rd line, and perhaps play the 2C until Kesler returns. Ashton and Colborne would likely find their way to Chicago. Lombardi would be tried here, and if things didn't work out he would be waived or traded. Franson would likely view the situation in Vancouver as being similar to that in Toronto, and would stay in Europe. Gillis could trade his rights for another prospect or a pick.

regards,
G.

Gunnarsson was a top 4 d-man in toronto, he logged big minutes for that and was pretty good for them. so he was the impact player i was thinking of. he can fill in on our top 4 in case of injuries. kadri has been given a bad rap lately but hes still a very skilled player, and hes more of the top prospect i was thinking of. Bozak is on the last year of his contract same as kadri but Kadri has more upside. bozak is already at his max for what he can reach pretty much. and i dont see the leafs parting with grabovski since they just signed him to a contract extension. and i would love gardiner but we wont be getting him, gunnarsson is much more realistic
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#14 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

To Van:

Jerry D'Amigo, Clarke Macarthur, and a Conditional 1st (Canucks choice of 2013 or 2014)

To Tor:

Luongo and Van's 3rd round pick (2013)

Reasoning:

D'Amigo: Watching D'Amigo during the WJC really sold me on him. I think he's a very underrated Leafs prospect.

Macarthur: We need to take some salary back and I believe Macarthur would be the best option for doing that. He would fit well into the Nucks top 9 and his contarct expires at the end of the year which gives Gillis the opportunity to pull some more discount magic.

Conditional 1st: The Nucks would have the luxury of choosing which year they get to select with the Leaf's pick.
Posted Image

#15 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Toronto isn't going to trade their 1st rounder in a Luongo trade.

#16 Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Then I will enjoy watching them miss the playoffs for yet another year.
Posted Image

#17 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Why on earth would people want Kadri in a deal with the Leafs. The Canucks get pushed around enough and everyone on this forum wants to hang Gillis because of it. Just imagine our top 6 with Kadri in it..weak. He doesnt fit on the bottom 6 because he is not physical. He might have so called sick hands but coming into the Marlies camp out of shape after training with Gary Roberts should send off alarm bells.

#18 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Okay, you guys drive a hard bargain. How about Bozak, MacArthur, Ashton and the rights to Franson (or Toronto's 1st if he doesn't sign, or perhaps Colborne, or if you prefer, make it Gunnarsson :)) for Luongo, Raymond, and a prospect (or a non-1st round pick)?

fair enough, I wasnt aware of that, well then how about add a 2nd round pick in on vancouvers side to make up for the loss of the first round pick sent by toronto, then have cody fransons rights coming back to vancouver. So it looks like this; To TOR: Luongo, Raymond, 2nd 2013. To VAN: Grabovski, 1st 2013, Franson

I'm probably being a bit picky on the contract thing, as teams can carry more than 50 during pre-season. I'm assuming that there will be a brief "pre-season" this year (assuming this year happens), so teams would want to be as close to 50 as possible (without going over).

I'd be surprised if Burke gave up both Grabovski and the 2013 1st, and I think the Leafs would be really lost without Grabovski.

Gunnarsson was a top 4 d-man in toronto, he logged big minutes for that and was pretty good for them. so he was the impact player i was thinking of. he can fill in on our top 4 in case of injuries. kadri has been given a bad rap lately but hes still a very skilled player, and hes more of the top prospect i was thinking of. Bozak is on the last year of his contract same as kadri but Kadri has more upside. bozak is already at his max for what he can reach pretty much. and i dont see the leafs parting with grabovski since they just signed him to a contract extension. and i would love gardiner but we wont be getting him, gunnarsson is much more realistic

I think the Canucks are in need of a top-6 (right) winger more than they need a 3C, and they need a 3C more than they need another d-man (assuming his name is not Weber, or something like that). I do not see the Leafs trading away any of their top-6 players to get Luongo, and that being said, I'm not sure that I would want them were they made available.

MacArthur could fill that role until Kassian/Jensen/Ashton are ready for the job. Bozak can fill in for Kesler, and/or take the 3C duties where he (likely) can provide more of an offensive upside than Malhotra or Lapierre, while still providing solid defense. These guys come with a reasonable cap hit (combined at $4.75 million), and each has one year left on their deal.

Ashton or Colborne (whichever comes here in this deal, or even both) have the potential to be solid NHL'ers. They might not have a ceiling of being top-3 players, but they certainly could be top-6.

regards,
G.

#19 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Whatever trade is made for Luongo, the Canucks will get a 1st round selection back in the deal. Players of much less calibre than Luo got teams a 1st round pick. Vancouver fans, I believe, have really taken for granted just how good Luongo really is.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#20 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

tell me more about how you know this. you have no clue what the trade is, so saying they wont trade there 1st rounder is idiotic. its very possible that they trade away there 1st rounder
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#21 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm probably being a bit picky on the contract thing, as teams can carry more than 50 during pre-season. I'm assuming that there will be a brief "pre-season" this year (assuming this year happens), so teams would want to be as close to 50 as possible (without going over).

I'd be surprised if Burke gave up both Grabovski and the 2013 1st, and I think the Leafs would be really lost without Grabovski.

I disagree about the leafs being lost without Grabovski, saying that we sent Raymond back there way and he can put up 30ish points, thats only 20 points less then Grabovski puts up, and with the addition of JVR to Torontos top 6 they wouldnt be missing out on any offense while also gaining a HUGE boost in goal with Luongo.
Posted Image

#22 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Whatever trade is made for Luongo, the Canucks will get a 1st round selection back in the deal. Players of much less calibre than Luo got teams a 1st round pick. Vancouver fans, I believe, have really taken for granted just how good Luongo really is.

"An impact roster player, a top-prospect and a 1st round pick" has been the mantra from Gillis whenever the topic of trading Luongo has come up. He might even get Toronto's 1st, unless he can get something better.

This is also (supposedly) a deep draft year. Toronto's pick could be anywhere from 1st overall to somehwere in the middle or maybe even lower, with the addition of Luongo. Further, I believe Burke is still feeling the after effects of the Kessel trade (who saw the Leafs winding up with a lottery pick that year?), so he may well be very reluctant to trade his pick. If he won't move his 1st, then he will have to give Gillis something of equal or greater value to that pick.

Right now, I would think that Toronto's top prospect is Morgan Rielly (aka "the best player in the draft"), and I do not see Burke moving him in a deal for Luongo. After him, I'd say Ashton, Colborne and Biggs (others? I don't follow the Leafs prospects that much). If Burke won't move his 1st, might not Gillis then demand two of Ashton, Colborne and Biggs? And since he isn't getting the 1st round pick (or Toronto's top prospect), might not Gillis also wangle an additional pick (perhaps a 2nd) from the Leafs? I would imagine that there would have to be some additional picks/prospects/players going back to Toronto as well

Heck, if Gillis plays his cards right, maybe he even gets all of Ashton (L), Colborne © and Biggs ®. That's an entire line for the future... yeah, I don't see that happening either. :P

I disagree about the leafs being lost without Grabovski, saying that we sent Raymond back there way and he can put up 30ish points, thats only 20 points less then Grabovski puts up, and with the addition of JVR to Torontos top 6 they wouldnt be missing out on any offense while also gaining a HUGE boost in goal with Luongo.

Grabovski is a top-6 center there, and I don't see that they have a lot of quality to replace him. It has been rumoured that JVR was going to be tried out at that spot, but it remains to be seen just how well he'll do. Maybe they'll do just fine, but moving Grabovski out looks to me that it would be a very risky move by Burke.

There is no argument from me that Grabovski would contiribute here, but where would he play? Would he be a winger or a center? Would he be on the first line or the second?

regards,
G.

#23 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

"An impact roster player, a top-prospect and a 1st round pick" has been the mantra from Gillis whenever the topic of trading Luongo has come up. He might even get Toronto's 1st, unless he can get something better.

This is also (supposedly) a deep draft year. Toronto's pick could be anywhere from 1st overall to somehwere in the middle or maybe even lower, with the addition of Luongo. Further, I believe Burke is still feeling the after effects of the Kessel trade (who saw the Leafs winding up with a lottery pick that year?), so he may well be very reluctant to trade his pick. If he won't move his 1st, then he will have to give Gillis something of equal or greater value to that pick.

Right now, I would think that Toronto's top prospect is Morgan Rielly (aka "the best player in the draft"), and I do not see Burke moving him in a deal for Luongo. After him, I'd say Ashton, Colborne and Biggs (others? I don't follow the Leafs prospects that much). If Burke won't move his 1st, might not Gillis then demand two of Ashton, Colborne and Biggs? And since he isn't getting the 1st round pick (or Toronto's top prospect), might not Gillis also wangle an additional pick (perhaps a 2nd) from the Leafs? I would imagine that there would have to be some additional picks/prospects/players going back to Toronto as well

Heck, if Gillis plays his cards right, maybe he even gets all of Ashton (L), Colborne © and Biggs ®. That's an entire line for the future... yeah, I don't see that happening either. :P

Grabovski is a top-6 center there, and I don't see that they have a lot of quality to replace him. It has been rumoured that JVR was going to be tried out at that spot, but it remains to be seen just how well he'll do. Maybe they'll do just fine, but moving Grabovski out looks to me that it would be a very risky move by Burke.

There is no argument from me that Grabovski would contiribute here, but where would he play? Would he be a winger or a center? Would he be on the first line or the second?

regards,
G.

I would assume second line winger with a healthy kesler playing center. But if the lockout ends before kesler is 100% then I would think he would start out on center with booth and higgins as his wingers. Who knows tho!
Posted Image

#24 nuckfanfromafrica

nuckfanfromafrica

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Add Gardiner. We have a deal

#25 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Add Gardiner. We have a deal

So Grabovski, Gardiner and a first for Luongo and Raymond?
u crayze? Take out Gardiner and Burke doesn't laugh at us.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#26 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm in the no thanks on Kadri camp. Not a very good fit imo.
Higgins is not a right wing and Hansen does not belong on the fourth line.
I'd rather have Ballard playing his natural side with Tanev, than Gunnarsson and Ballard.

If Toronto wants Luo, imo, it would cost something like 3 of the following:

Bozak or Colborne
Biggs or Frattin
1st

Don't care for their 'top end' talent - I think their biggest problem is their 'best' players. I'd move them first if I were T.O.
Don't see anyone on their blueline significantly improving the Canucks - and don't see Gardiner as a very good fit having already added Garrison..
I think Grabovski is probably the best option of comparable value - but a 5.5 million third line center is not my idea of ideal - perhaps an interesting option to put on the wing with Kesler (and to use at center if he is absent) - if Grabovski were to be the centerpiece, I'd substitute him for two of the above pieces, but would still want one of those younger assets included (excluding Bozak).

I still like Florida's options better ie Bjugstad, Petrovic, Upshall - but if Toronto were to expedite things...

#27 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

So Grabovski, Gardiner and a first for Luongo and Raymond?
u crayze? Take out Gardiner and Burke doesn't laugh at us.

Agreed, no way we get gardiner from toronto in any luongo deal that isn't an overpayment by us, toronto values him waaay to him, and to be honest I don't see him helping vancouver at the price itd take to get him!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.