The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Van-Tor, my take on the Luongo situation

ok so im going to have a shot at the recent Luongo to Toronto rumors. i have gathered info from this and several other sites about what people think Luo is worth and this is my version of the trade

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo and a 2013 3rd round draft pick

to

Toronto for C Nazem Kadri, D Carl Gunnarsson and a 2013 1st round draft pick

Reason for Toronto:

1. The Leafs get a consistent all-star goalie that can carry them to the playoffs and make them a playoff contender for the next 5-6 years

2. Burke needs Luongo to keep his job. if there is a season he needs to make he playoffs or loose his job and he wont willingly do that. many leafs fans think that Burke will fail the season on purpose to get a high draft pick but that is incredibly unrealistic. he will do whatever he can to make the playoffs including trading away there 1st round draft pick and getting Luongo. besides there 1st rounder should be around the 16-25 range since they have Luongo to get them to the playoffs, and i guarantee that if they have Luongo they make the payoffs. Hence Burke does this trade.

Reasons for Vancouver:

1. Luongo is too good of a goalie to sit on the bench for half a season, personally i would keep him for at least another season while Schneider proves he can handle the starting job, but that's just my opinion and probably wont happen if recent rumors are true.

2. Kadri hasn't worked out well in Toronto and you can tell that both the leafs and Kadri himself are getting discouraged with one another. I just think he needs a chance to prove himself with more than a few games a season, he is a very talented player he just needs a chance. he can be like CoHo was for our 3rd line center he has that skill set. Also he can try and fill into the 2nd line center spot while Kesler is out. I dont think Schroeder will develop into an NHL level centerman due to his lack of size and skill-wise Kadri is the better of the two.

3. Gunnarsson is a reliable Defensive defense-man that can pair up well with either Ballard or Tanev, whomever wins that 5/6th spot on the roster, which gives us a lot of depth if we fall victim to the injury bug again.

4. that 1st round pick will most likely be in the 16-25 range since they will make the playoffs with Luongo, giving us 2 picks in the 2nd half of the draft of a deep draft to add to our prospect pool.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Nazem Kadri ($1.720m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,405,000; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,645,000

ok so im going to have a shot at the recent Luongo to Toronto rumors. i have gathered info from this and several other sites about what people think Luo is worth and this is my version of the trade

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo and a 2013 3rd round draft pick

to

Toronto for C Nazem Kadri, D Carl Gunnarsson and a 2013 1st round draft pick

Vancouver needs a top 6 player coming back in the return for luongo, how about. To TOR: Luongo + Raymond. To Van: Grabovski + 2013 1st. Toronto gets an elite goaltender who can carry them into the playoffs and a struggling winger who may just need a change of scenery, but can still put up 30 or so points. Vancouver gets a 2nd liner who can put up 50 points, and playing with Kesler possibly more. Then a first round pick in a deep draft which could potentially be a high pick. Toronto gets into the playoffs (maybe) and Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and a high pick (hopefully) to help out the future. win-win situation for both teams if you ask me.

Vancouver needs a top 6 player coming back in the return for luongo, how about. To TOR: Luongo + Raymond. To Van: Grabovski + 2013 1st. Toronto gets an elite goaltender who can carry them into the playoffs and a struggling winger who may just need a change of scenery, but can still put up 30 or so points. Vancouver gets a 2nd liner who can put up 50 points, and playing with Kesler possibly more. Then a first round pick in a deep draft which could potentially be a high pick. Toronto gets into the playoffs (maybe) and Vancouver gets a top 6 forward and a high pick (hopefully) to help out the future. win-win situation for both teams if you ask me.

1.) My first thought is, this isn't enough of a return for Luongo. I believe the usual line of thought is that Gillis wants an impact roster player, a top prospect and a 1st round pick. Whether he actually gets all of that remains to be seen). Your deal does get him the 1st, but I don't see Kadri as an impact roster player and Gunnarsson might be a good prospect, but he is not a top prospect, or at least, not one we really need.

Further, I suspect that something more than just a pick will be going to Toronto with Luongo (assuming he does get traded, and he does get traded there :)). The old stand-bys, Ballard and Raymond come to mind. although there might be room to move out a guy like Alberts.

Toronto currently has several d-men listed, with Franson wanting out of Toronto. Assuming Toronto does move a d-man for Luongo, as you have suggested (Gunnarsson). This puts them down two guys (assuming Franson does leave) so they may well want/need to get one back in this deal. Ballard is an obvious choice to be moved by a lot of people, but Alberts is perhaps the more likely guy to be traded here. He has one year left on his contract (so if Burke doesn't want Alberts he can let him walk), has a very reasonable cap hit (less than Gunnarsson's), and his inclusion would allow the Canucks to equal the number of contracts going out as are coming in (Vancouver currently has 48, the Leafs are at 50).

2.) I'm pretty sure that Burke will not give up his 1st rounder in this deal. I agree that it will most likely be in the 16 - 25 range, however, I think Burke is still feeling a bit snake bitten over the Kessel deal. Who thought Toronto would wind up with the 2nd overall that year when they added Kessel? Should the Leafs get Luongo, and they do under-perform (again), I do not believe he would be the GM in Toronto when the season is done.

This being said, Gillis may push for it as a means of prying a higher level prospect out of Burke. Ashton comes to mind, although I do doubt Gillis will be able to get him... but it would be nice if he did.

3.) Kadri might be a good pick up, and he could very well develop into a good player here. This being said, I suspect Gillis will want someone with a bit more of a proven track record to fill in as the 3C on this team. I would have to agree with the folks who have suggested Bozak as the likely choice of Gillis to fill in at that position.

Bozak has a reasonable cap hit, and assuming he re-signs here, he will likely still have a reasonable cap hit. Will Bozak be an impact player here? Hopefully, yes. If nothing else he has two seasons with fairly good results which suggest he could do well here.

4.) If I was going to push Burke for a prospect it would be Ashton. Colborne (who is often suggested as the most likely prospect to be included in the deal) would be nice to have, but I do not see him as being essential with Gaunce in the system.

5.) Vancouver will likely have to take back a cap dump. I believe Lombardi is the usual suspect here. It would be nice if Gillis could steal MacArthur as the cap dump, but that will likely not occur. Burke may try to unload Komisarek, which would not be the end of the world. If he did come here rather than Lombardi, then Ballard would probably have to be moved in this deal or another.

So, what would I like to see? (not that it would happen):

to Toronto - Luongo, Alberts, a mid-level prospect, (perhaps a 3rd)

to Vancouver - Bozak, Ashton, Colborne, Lombardi (cap dump), and the rights to Franson. If the answer is no to Ashton, then I'd want the Toronto 1st.

Bozak can center the 3rd line, and perhaps play the 2C until Kesler returns. Ashton and Colborne would likely find their way to Chicago. Lombardi would be tried here, and if things didn't work out he would be waived or traded. Franson would likely view the situation in Vancouver as being similar to that in Toronto, and would stay in Europe. Gillis could trade his rights for another prospect or a pick.

regards,

G.

To Van:

Jerry D'Amigo, Clarke Macarthur, and a Conditional 1st (Canucks choice of 2013 or 2014)

To Tor:

Luongo and Van's 3rd round pick (2013)

Reasoning:

D'Amigo: Watching D'Amigo during the WJC really sold me on him. I think he's a very underrated Leafs prospect.

Macarthur: We need to take some salary back and I believe Macarthur would be the best option for doing that. He would fit well into the Nucks top 9 and his contarct expires at the end of the year which gives Gillis the opportunity to pull some more discount magic.

Conditional 1st: The Nucks would have the luxury of choosing which year they get to select with the Leaf's pick.

Why on earth would people want Kadri in a deal with the Leafs. The Canucks get pushed around enough and everyone on this forum wants to hang Gillis because of it. Just imagine our top 6 with Kadri in it..weak. He doesnt fit on the bottom 6 because he is not physical. He might have so called sick hands but coming into the Marlies camp out of shape after training with Gary Roberts should send off alarm bells.

Okay, you guys drive a hard bargain. How about Bozak, MacArthur, Ashton and the rights to Franson (or Toronto's 1st if he doesn't sign, or perhaps Colborne, or if you prefer, make it Gunnarsson :)) for Luongo, Raymond, and a prospect (or a non-1st round pick)?

fair enough, I wasnt aware of that, well then how about add a 2nd round pick in on vancouvers side to make up for the loss of the first round pick sent by toronto, then have cody fransons rights coming back to vancouver. So it looks like this; To TOR: Luongo, Raymond, 2nd 2013. To VAN: Grabovski, 1st 2013, Franson

Whatever trade is made for Luongo, the Canucks will get a 1st round selection back in the deal. Players of much less calibre than Luo got teams a 1st round pick. Vancouver fans, I believe, have really taken for granted just how good Luongo really is.

Archived