The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL, PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION REACH STALEMATE IN CBA TALK

Sully2Cool

Text Size

Unless one side has a sudden change of heart, it appears collective bargaining agreement discussions between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association have reached a stalemate.

No meetings are scheduled and it doesn't appear as if there will be any scheduled in the immediate future.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sees little reason to continue negotiations based on the Players' Association's recent stance

"They have made it clear to us that they have very little interest in the proposal we made last Tuesday," said Daly. "They also told us they have no intention of making a new proposal. I'm not sure what we would be meeting about."

When asked if the negotiations may slip into a deep freeze, Daly responded in a brief but very telling manner. "I suspect so," he said. "Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

NHLPA counsel Steve Fehr responded to the league's comments.

"The league is apparently unwilling to meet," said Fehr. "That is unfortunate, as it is hard to make progress without talking."

Late Tuesday afternoon, the NHLPA conducted a conference call for executive board members and according to a union spokesman, following the call, the players informed the NHL they are willing to meet at any point, without preconditions, to try and reach an agreement.

Unless one side has a sudden change of heart, it appears collective bargaining agreement discussions between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association have reached a stalemate.

No meetings are scheduled and it doesn't appear as if there will be any scheduled in the immediate future.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sees little reason to continue negotiations based on the Players' Association's recent stance.

"They have made it clear to us that they have very little interest in the proposal we made last Tuesday," said Daly. "They also told us they have no intention of making a new proposal. I'm not sure what we would be meeting about."

When asked if the negotiations may slip into a deep freeze, Daly responded in a brief but very telling manner. "I suspect so," he said. "Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

"The league is apparently unwilling to meet," said Fehr. "That is unfortunate, as it is hard to make progress without talking."

Late Tuesday afternoon, the NHLPA conducted a conference call for executive board members and according to a union spokesman, following the call, the players informed the NHL they are willing to meet at any point, without preconditions, to try and reach an agreement.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sees little reason to continue negotiations based on the Players' Association's recent stance.

I can't believe how much pandering to the fans each side is doing through the media. It's like the fans are kids, and the NHL and NHLPA are in a custody battle over us. Each side is trying to come off as the better parent. It's disgusting.

I'd rather not hear anything from these bozos, until they get something significant done. Nobody wants to hear which side isn't willing to meet anymore.

I can't believe how much pandering to the fans each side is doing through the media. It's like the fans are kids, and the NHL and NHLPA are in a custody battle over us. Each side is trying to come off as the better parent. It's disgusting.

I'd rather not hear anything from these bozos, until they get something significant done. Nobody wants to hear which side isn't willing to meet anymore.

all it's doing is pissing off the majority of the fans. I'm sure some will eat it up and pick sides, but as you said, it's disgusting. I'm at the point now where I don't even care if there is a season if this is how the "negotiations" are going to go.

Both sides need to shut the f up, lock themselves in a room, and not come out until a deal is done.

And so they should. What the NHL is doing is ridiculous.

Trying to take away money from players on contracts that have already been agreed upon, is negotiating in bad faith. And it's just bad bad business.

Don't be surprised to see the NHL budge again in the next little while. Bettman is under alot of pressure from the owners to get this season started on time. And I guarantee he's not gonna wanna miss out on his little gem of a contract with NBC.

Of course it is. But in business when two people shake hands to an agreed amount, you pay that person the agreed amount, or else your a weasel.

It would be one thing if the NHL was really struggling and had no money. But for Bettman to boast about record revenues in order to get a big fat contract for himself, and then turn around and tell players that they have to give money back is just ridiculous.

You are missing the point. The agreed amount is subject to change. Part of the agreement when they shook hands was the contract is not set in stone.

If you go by what they actually shook hands on is it not the players who are being disingenuous?

They knew the contracts are not guaranteed. It's written into the contract that it's not guaranteed for heavens sake. Why are they now insisting previous contracts be paid in full when they originally agreed otherwise??

Archived