The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen brothers charged for luring then murdering 12 year old girl

Jester@wraiths.ca

While everything you're saying is true don't you think you're maybe being a little dramatic? Society dictates we should follow rules right? How many no trespassing signs have you disregarded? Tsk tsk kids today or just something you did because you wanted to?

These things have gone on for a long time. Longer than you or I have been on this earth. It's unfortunate but just because people aren't rallying to this crusade of yours does not mean every one else has their heads in the sand.

Trespassing definitely equals killing people.

The truth is, the response is what I expect. The forums are filled with callousness and uncaring, and it doesn't matter what anyone says, that is apparently the acceptable response. Something horrible happens, it's the ultimate opening for jokes. Parasites sit and hope for the chance to mock someones death. Though I sincerely doubt anyone that makes those jokes would do so if it was their own friends or family that had suffered. I guess we've "evolved" to the point that we can't show any compassion whatsoever unless it directly effects us, otherwise it doesn't matter at all.

Stefan: DBTR has summed it up quite nicely but I'll add that I did state "Not saying it's the cause/root, but it's just part...". It's likely something very deep rooted that has some decide to kill someone - especially in a pre-meditated attack. My suggestion was that the violent nature of video games, movies, new headlines mean that some are somewhat desensitized to violence and the shock value isn't there when you see/hear about it daily. Most kids have the roots in place to help not act on that but, for some, the foundation just isn't there. Whether it be medically related with an underlying condition or prompted by abuse/negligence, etc. Likely a combination of things that factor in when someone makes the decision to kill someone.

Stefan: DBTR has summed it up quite nicely but I'll add that I did state "Not saying it's the cause/root, but it's just part...". It's likely something very deep rooted that has some decide to kill someone - especially in a pre-meditated attack. My suggestion was that the violent nature of video games, movies, new headlines mean that some are somewhat desensitized to violence and the shock value isn't there when you see/hear about it daily. Most kids have the roots in place to help not act on that but, for some, the foundation just isn't there. Whether it be medically related with an underlying condition or prompted by abuse/negligence, etc. Likely a combination of things that factor in when someone makes the decision to kill someone.

I find the whole 'violence in media affecting youth' argument fascinating.

Advertisers spend billions on getting short snippets of messages to change our thinking and habits. They do it because it works. So to say that spending hours being lost in a story of bloodshed and violence, let alone being immersed as a character in a simulation of it, has no effect on our thinking and habits whatsoever seems ludicrous. But on the other hand, most people who watch/play violent media do not seem to lash out at all. So to what degree does it affect us?

Personally, I think violent movies/games has the potential to "plant seeds" in a person's mind. Most people have moral judgment, and need to meet society's expectations (out of personal responsibility, and/or fear of repurcussions). These act as barriers to prevent the "seeds" from taking root and causing the person to recreate versions of them in reality. However, if for some reason those barriers are broken down - because of mental disease, drugs, severe stress, societal collapse, etc...perhaps even a combination of these circumstances - these experiences may cause the person to lash out in strange, and truly horrible ways.

I remember a report of two young men (I believe 18 and 21) in Florida, who decapitated two young children (8 and 10) of the woman one of them was seeing with a kitchen knife. Drugs may have been involved, possibly stress and anger over a situation between the man and the mother, and violence against children is sadly nothing new. But Police in the area said they had never seen anything remotely like this. It was a whole new level of brutality even the most seasoned of them had never encountered. What caused these cretins to carry out such a sick and sadistic act? Only a month or so earlier, the video of the beheading of Daniel Pearl - also by knife - went viral on the internet.

Another more recent phenomenon is the "zombie attacks", which have been attributed to mind-altering drugs (usually bath salts). It seems that once the drug took over, the individuals carried out some strange fantasy buried in their mind. The most likely root of this idea (IMO) was some form of the legion of "flesh-eating zombie" movies/games that have been readily available for decades.

I've already stated where I draw the line in terms of your claim that belting them might fix the problem.

What do I do about these kids? Nothing...they aren't my responsibility but again I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if their parent brought out the belt it wouldn't have changed what happened.

What if I caught them in the act? Stop them and call the cops.

If I'm a cop do I shoot them? No that would be stupid unless of course it's saving a life.

If I see them hurting/killing my kid? I'd probably kill them if given the chance.

Can they be rehabilitated? Sure they could. Will they? How should I know; probably not though because the reality is that good rehabilitation costs money. What if they're put to death and they could have been rehabilitated? What if they are rehabilitated and find Jesus and never commit another crime serving the greater good as best as they can? Do you turn them away from your church?

I don't know what to do to stop people from hurting each other. I can tell you this though...your two initial suggestions don't really work. Lords prayer does nothing....might as well bring back the singing of Oh Canada every morning in school. Corporal punishment has a greater risk to do harm than benefit to do good. In fact the benefit is nearly non existent.

Your last line feels very PSA'ish. (In fact the mental image I got was David Schwimmer in a black turtle neck asking me with a very stern face) When do I draw the line? I don't beat my kid. I try to do more good than bad. I try to teach by showing rather than yelling and hitting. I use education rather than cliches to get my point across. I do the right thing as much as I possibly can so that I get the right results. So the answer to when is as often as I can. I'd love to say I don't get frustrated or angry but I can't say that. I can say that I don't lose my cool very often. I know what hitting teaches, I know what violence teaches and I refuse to teach that or endorse it.

Archived