The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders will move to Brooklyn in 2015

Here's the actual setup of hockey in the Barclays Center:

hockey_seating_chart.gif

The arena just opened and would be costly, but would it be realistic for them to make adjustments to centre the rink in the arena to improve sight lines? Especially if this is going to be a permanent home for the Islanders.

Guess i was wrong about it being an interim move, but I still think the seating is inadequate. I'm going to a KHL game there in January so I can give an update and maybe change my mind. to me, it's not so much the number of seats that's a problem. you can surely add some seats in that grey area behind the net, but the sight lines will probably be pretty bad (too high for being so close to the net). also it'll look weird on TV.

Here's the actual setup of hockey in the Barclays Center:

hockey_seating_chart.gif

The arena just opened and would be costly, but would it be realistic for them to make adjustments to centre the rink in the arena to improve sight lines? Especially if this is going to be a permanent home for the Islanders.

Just as moving to Brooklyn was a great move for the Nets, this will also be good for the Islanders. Brooklyn has become the "hip" area of New York. So much of the premier dining and entertainment has moved to this area. And Barclays Arena is right in the heart of it. This gives them far more credibility from a public perception point of view.

High rollers from New York are going to be more likely to plan an evening around an Islanders game when they can continue their evening in that area - when the clubs/etc. will be just getting started. Regular Joes and families may not consider this as important, but this is of key importance to the "corporate elite" of NYC, which is where the real money is. I bet they can charge 20-30% more for luxury boxes and premier seating, and still sell out no problem.

It's also closer for anyone from Manhattan and the mainland to get to (so rival fans will be more likely to make the trip), and easily accessible by all forms of transit. Nassau Colliseum is over 20 kms east from Barclays, which may not seem like much, but is HUGE when trying to make the trip through NYC traffic during peak hours. (Google estimates the driving time from Barclays to Nassau at 43 minutes. In rush hour that would be over an hour.) Let's say a blue collar working stiff who moved from Queens to Jersey, works until 5pm, and wants to take in an Islanders game with his family with his family. Nassau might be simply too far to go. He will be far more likely to be able to make it to Barclays by puck-drop.

That initial seating chart was just for their pre season game, they will make some renovations/adjustments for the Islanders.

With all the money they can make with their luxury boxes, makes the move to a smaller venue in NYC worth it.

This now puts 3 NHL franchises with in 25 min of each other in NYC/NJ.

Yeah, but they have the same issue as an airline.

Once they've paid all the licensing and airport fee's, and have booked in their flight (game) schedule; they'e better off filling their seats for what they can get. They're costs are already set, might as well max out the gate and good to see a business doing so rather than being unrealistic about circumstance.

But hockey is lucky, they have endorsements, tv deals, licensing and alternate product revenue (Richard Branson has learned a heap from sports franchises, look what Virgin sells these days), Internet advertising, pay per view, merchandise (in and out of the arena) , beer and concession sales, branding activities... All these dry up if you don't find ways to keep your fan base engaged, and a full barn is critical. The Wings can still make a profit, cheap tickets in hard times keeps the fans as loyal as anything!

Detroit is in sad shape. If Obama cut off the food stamps they would lose half their population. I had heard that the Wings were selling deep discounted tickets.

Archived