#31 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image
Looks workable there, seating on both sides of the net, room to move and add seats.

yeah, workable for basketball. only 1 side of the arena has seats that can be folded back. did you see the actual ice hockey configuration pictures I posted?behind the one side will have horrible sight lines and limited views. a basketball court is 95 feet long, a rink is 200.

Edited by avelanch, 24 October 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#32 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

They won't have great attendance there but it'll be better than Nassau and the value of the TV contract just shot through the roof.

Get ready for the rebranding.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#33 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

you gotta be kidding, it looks horrible:

It's certainly not "ideal" but "horrible" is a bit of a stretch. Hell of a lot better than their current building. THAT is what matters.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

It's certainly not "ideal" but "horrible" is a bit of a stretch. Hell of a lot better than their current building. THAT is what matters.

the seating on the one side is horrible; limited views, and horrible angles. the other 3/4 of the arena is great though.

Edited by avelanch, 24 October 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#35 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,517 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Barclays obviously wasn't designed for hockey, but if the alternative was staying in Nassau until it collapsed or having their team move to Quebec, Islanders fans should be fairly pleased with this development.
Posted Image

#36 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Detroit is in sad shape. If Obama cut off the food stamps they would lose half their population. I had heard that the Wings were selling deep discounted tickets.

If I remember correctly, there was a promotion on a Michigan TV station advertising 4 Red Wing tickets, 4 hot dogs, and 4 soda, for about $60.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#37 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

This configuration looks like the AA Center in Phoenix. We all know how that worked for them. This needs alot of work to become viable for the NHL.

#38 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

reminds me of that box the Coyotes first played in
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#39 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

That initial seating chart was just for their pre season game, they will make some renovations/adjustments for the Islanders.

With all the money they can make with their luxury boxes, makes the move to a smaller venue in NYC worth it.

This now puts 3 NHL franchises with in 25 min of each other in NYC/NJ.

#40 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, but they have the same issue as an airline.

Once they've paid all the licensing and airport fee's, and have booked in their flight (game) schedule; they'e better off filling their seats for what they can get. They're costs are already set, might as well max out the gate and good to see a business doing so rather than being unrealistic about circumstance.

But hockey is lucky, they have endorsements, tv deals, licensing and alternate product revenue (Richard Branson has learned a heap from sports franchises, look what Virgin sells these days), Internet advertising, pay per view, merchandise (in and out of the arena) , beer and concession sales, branding activities... All these dry up if you don't find ways to keep your fan base engaged, and a full barn is critical. The Wings can still make a profit, cheap tickets in hard times keeps the fans as loyal as anything!

Detroit is in sad shape. If Obama cut off the food stamps they would lose half their population. I had heard that the Wings were selling deep discounted tickets.

#41 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Mr.Wang makes some weird decisions.

#42 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

the seating on the one side is horrible; limited views, and horrible angles. the other 3/4 of the arena is great though.

So don't sit on that one side.

It beats staying in a crumbling building or moving to an entirely different city.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#43 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

It beats staying in a crumbling building or moving to an entirely different city.

The arena can be modified a bit. They will expand it to 15.5k, and change the seating a bit. They built to make it easily expandable for hockey, but did not it (full) NHL ready right away b/c there was no guarantee that they would get a team in that building

#44 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

it would have been a great stopgap solution, but a 25 year lease? That's just stupid.

#45 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

it would have been a great stopgap solution, but a 25 year lease? That's just stupid.

Exactly, how many venues go 25 years, without being torn down, or replaced. Dumb hockey decision, by another of these so-called businessmen. Look at BC Place, and the Kingdomb in Seattle, at how quickly they became outdated.

#46 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Exactly, how many venues go 25 years, without being torn down, or replaced. Dumb hockey decision, by another of these so-called businessmen. Look at BC Place, and the Kingdomb in Seattle, at how quickly they became outdated.

Arena's are built differently then they used to be. GM Place/Rogers Arena is already 15 years old. These new arenas are much easier to renovate. We'll still being playing in Rogers Arena 20 years from now. The new arena in Brooklyn cost 1 billion dollars, so I imagine it can last 25 years.

Although signing such a long lease got the NYI in this mess in the first place. They are still stuck at that dump for 3 more seasons.

#47 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

So this arena only holds 14.5k for hockey ? i guess all this does is insure the Islanders will be losing money for the next 27 years. no way they can charge winnepeg prices for tickets for that franchise. Im guessing they must have a way of adding more temporary seats.

#48 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

He was trying to make it match DiPietro's contract, but his math was off.
Posted Image

#49 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

So this arena only holds 14.5k for hockey ? i guess all this does is insure the Islanders will be losing money for the next 27 years. no way they can charge winnepeg prices for tickets for that franchise. Im guessing they must have a way of adding more temporary seats.

Can be expanded to 15.5k with slight renovations. And yes, in fact they could probably charge more. They can charge MUCH more. It's NYC, have you been there? Everything is more expensive. The arena has many more luxury suits then the Jets. It will also be a lot easier to get sponsors now that they are in NYC.

Interesting how Bettman let the Islanders sign an iron clad lease, but Winnipeg HAS TO sell out ALL their games for their lease to remain valid.

#50 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Where Brooklyn at!? Where Brooklyn at!?
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#51 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Good for the Iles. Maybe they they can win a few more games now.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#52 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

#53 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

I wanna see a wutang concert at Barclays

#54 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,859 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well yes leasing just about anything for 25 years is not terribly bright but the building itself is a minor issue IMO. The isles ownership/management is an entirely separate thread...lol

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#55 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Quite interesting that one endzone will have no seats behind the glass.
Posted Image

#56 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Meh, I was hoping they'd move to Canada... :(

I actually want that team to stay as the NYI. Despite all their problems, there were a dynasty once, and teams with a history like that shouldn't be moved IMO.

Edited by unknown33429, 25 October 2012 - 03:01 PM.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#57 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

I actually want that team to stay as the NYI. Despite all their problems, there were a dynasty once, and teams with a history like that shouldn't me moved IMO.

Yeah, I'm glad they're staying on Long Island. I don't see them being able to keep the "Islanders" name had they moved to the mainland.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.