The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison: Top 5 Career Goals

bure's triple deke

Jason Garrison: Top 5 Career Goals

http://burestripledeke.blogspot.ca/2012/10/jason-garrison-top-5-career-goals.html

A little over a month ago, someone on the Canucks.com forums came to me with a suggestion for my next Top 5 video countdown. So because I should never take for granted that there are interested people out there actually reading this blog...

http://youtu.be/DB7tDV0-orU

When Garrison first expressed interest in signing with Vancouver, quick YouTube searches city-wide determined that, simply put, the guy's got a shot. In fact, 13 of his 16 goals last season (or 81%) were scored à la Sami Salo (making the loss of said player to free agency a much easier pill to swallow). Without that particular asset, you can guarantee Gillis would not have made him the highest-paid defenceman on the team.

But as exciting as a howitzer from the point can be, no one seems to be paying any credence to his ability to jump into the rush, which is why I purposefully omitted any cut-and-dry slapshots from these five goals. This set of highlights showcases an underrated and doubtlessly valuable ability of Garrison's that should be fun to watch once his groin and the lockout have both resolved themselves.

Number five and four are both milestone goals and uncanny carbon copies of each other, while the last three coincidentally feature some sort of Canucks-related cameo appearance (no surprise, given that the Panthers and Canucks have a seemingly exclusive trading partnership with each other). In number three, Garrison takes a page out of the Sedins' book, deflecting a pseudo-slap pass into the slot while on a power play.¹ Number two sees him on a two-on-one with David Booth, while his buzzer-beating OT winner against Tampa Bay begins with a defensive play from former Canuck Mike Weaver.

A lot has been said about Brian Campbell playing a significant role in Garrison's breakout year. But whether he's pinching in or hanging back at the blueline, you can bet he'll have just as much space to work with on shifts with, oh let's say...the Sedins? That said, it'll be exciting to see what he'll be capable of as a Canuck.

-HC

¹ Though the goal was announced in the play-by-play as a record-breaker for powerplay goals by a Florida defenceman, if you pay close attention, the penalty had ended by just a second. Rather than 10 powerplay goals, Garrison was left with 9 on the season, tying him with former Panthers Jay Bouwmeester (2008-09) and Gord Murphy (1993-94).

Your right Garrison looks like a perfect addition to the Canucks D-core. Offensive is the key word, especially after the loss of Salo to TB. I'd be hesitant placing him with Edler during 5 on 5, but him and Hamhuis would be great. If that happened the pairings would look like this.

5 on 5 5-4

Hamhuis - Garrison Edler - Garrison

Bieksa - Edler Bieksa - Hamhuis/Ballard

Tanev - Ballard

Not bad but probably totally wrong (AV...) Anyways lets hope the season starts soon.

Your right Garrison looks like a perfect addition to the Canucks D-core. Offensive is the key word, especially after the loss of Salo to TB. I'd be hesitant placing him with Edler during 5 on 5, but him and Hamhuis would be great. If that happened the pairings would look like this.

5 on 5 5-4

Tanev - Ballard

Not bad but probably totally wrong (AV...) Anyways lets hope the season starts soon.

Interesting find, OP

Can't wait to see all the other teams' frustrated goalies after they get beat by his wrist shot! With that second shot and the ability to join the rush he could conceal his booming slap shot even better and I think that he and Alex will be quite the strong tandem on the back end for years to come (given Alex... you know)

5 on 5 5-4

Tanev - Ballard

I'd say he looks like a complete defenceman, one who is big, strong, has a good shot, can skate well, and who can play big minutes. The knock against Boom Boom Garrison is the small sample size for his good work. I for one am stoked to see what this local BC boy can do playing for his hometown team.

DBL Post

I'm not sure why you'd think so, unless as LeanBeaf suggests you think he's only a guy with a slapper. The year before last he played with Mike Weaver as the top shutdown pair for the Panthers. Last year they tried him with Campbell on the PP and he broke out offensively.

The only thing we aren't as sure of is having him play the right side during 5 on 5 play. He played the right side on the PP with Campbell, but played the left side with Weaver 5 on 5 and on the PK. Obviously our opening is on the right side of Edler, and moving Bieksa there met with mixed success previously, so Garrison will get the chance to start.

Let Garrison play with Edler to add an even bigger shot on the PP... (it's obvious!)

But I remain convinced, if player trades don't change status quo, the guy to play Garrison with would be Ballard. If not playing on his natural side, he would also not be playing top defensive draws which are reserved for Hammer and Bieksa, which would afford a comfort zone for the Big G!

Let Tanev play with Edler 5 on 5; Tanev the quick & steady position player, who is also a smooth passer. This will compliment Edler, especially playing with the Twins. His passing would make him just as valuable an addition as Garrison's shot playing predominantly offensive situations. Tanev's size would also not be the same liability it is when he plays against premium defensive match ups. It's the role Tanev plays with Kevin Connauton on the farm, but importantly allows all other players to fall into roles for which they are well suited.

Then, 5 on 5, Garrison and Ballard would be our most physically gifted pair and could play all secondary match up's, offensive or defensive. Thats speed, size and strength folks; Garrison is 220 huge and will clear the net, Ballard 210 lbs, a shot blocker who can get out and apply pressure as he is amongst the fastest players in the league. We'll also get to see him finally rush the puck, which is exciting. These guys both have 30 point seasons under their belt and would expose second tier players. It makes us thoroughly dangerous, as well as defensively steady everywhere in the lineup.

:towel:

Ballard would finally break out with us, and I doubt it would dip Edler's productivity at all.

I'm not sure why you'd think so, unless as LeanBeaf suggests you think he's only a guy with a slapper. The year before last he played with Mike Weaver as the top shutdown pair for the Panthers. Last year they tried him with Campbell on the PP and he broke out offensively.

The only thing we aren't as sure of is having him play the right side during 5 on 5 play. He played the right side on the PP with Campbell, but played the left side with Weaver 5 on 5 and on the PK. Obviously our opening is on the right side of Edler, and moving Bieksa there met with mixed success previously, so Garrison will get the chance to start.

Let Garrison play with Edler to add an even bigger shot on the PP... (it's obvious!)

But I remain convinced, if player trades don't change status quo, the guy to play Garrison with would be Ballard. If not playing on his natural side, he would also not be playing top defensive draws which are reserved for Hammer and Bieksa, which would afford a comfort zone for the Big G!

Let Tanev play with Edler 5 on 5; Tanev the quick & steady position player, who is also a smooth passer. This will compliment Edler, especially playing with the Twins. His passing would make him just as valuable an addition as Garrison's shot playing predominantly offensive situations. Tanev's size would also not be the same liability it is when he plays against premium defensive match ups. It's the role Tanev plays with Kevin Connauton on the farm, but importantly allows all other players to fall into roles for which they are well suited.

Then, 5 on 5, Garrison and Ballard would be our most physically gifted pair and could play all secondary match up's, offensive or defensive. Thats speed, size and strength folks; Garrison is 220 huge and will clear the net, Ballard 210 lbs, a shot blocker who can get out and apply pressure as he is amongst the fastest players in the league. We'll also get to see him finally rush the puck, which is exciting. These guys both have 30 point seasons under their belt and would expose second tier players.  It makes us thoroughly dangerous, as well as defensively steady everywhere in the lineup.

:towel:

Ballard would finally break out with us, and I doubt it would dip Edler's productivity at all.  

Archived