76 replies to this topic

#31 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

It is very much extortion, but we won't see any arresting of trump till after the election is over. Extorting the president is a pretty serious offence, and since trump went public he really doesn't have any means for defence. He's untouchable right now as if he were to be prosecuted the right would make a thing about Obama suppressing "job creators".

I fully expect something to be done, although it might only result in a public apology. The scary thing is grown adults actually share trump's perspective that President Obama wasn't born in the US or isn't an American. There is no basis for these arguments, just hints of racism from a party that can't stand to have a progressive black president.

It very much ISN'T extortion.
For it to be extortion Obama would be paying the money.

It is a publicity stunt by an idiot. Nothing else.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#32 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

#33 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

^^^^^

Love the burn on Leno :lol:

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

^^^^^

Love the burn on Leno :lol:

honestly, they are all hilarious. I wonder how many of them he actually came up with himself. He has great comedic timing regardless. I remember hearing him on the radio in chicago before he was even considering running for president, and he was hilarious back then, so I assume he HAD to come up with some of them.

#35 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

his delivery on the Leno one was as if he had been waiting to use that for a while

#36 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

thanks Avelanch

at home sick so I can actually watch/listen to videos

never seen the correspondent one before :lol:

#37 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Obama is such a natural .. Romney is .... not .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#38 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Kinda sounds like it is from wiki...

Extortion (also called blackmail, shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence of unlawfully obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. Making a threat of violence which refers to a requirement of a payment of money or property to halt future violence is sufficient to commit the offense. Exaction refers not only to extortion or the unlawful demanding and obtaining of something through force,[1] but additionally, in its formal definition, means the infliction of something such as pain and suffering or making somebody endure something unpleasant.[2]

Extortion is distinguished from robbery. In armed robbery, the offender takes goods from the victim with use of immediate force. In robbery goods are taken or an attempt is made to take the goods against the will of another—with or without force. A bank robbery or extortion of a bank can be committed by a letter handed by the criminal to the teller. In extortion, the victim is threatened to hand over goods, or else damage to their reputation or other harm or violence against them may occur. Under federal law extortion can be committed with or without the use of force and with or without the use of a weapon. A key difference is that extortion always involves a written or verbal threat whereas robbery can occur without any verbal or written threat.

The term extortion is often used metaphorically to refer to usury or to price-gouging, though neither is legally considered extortion. It is also often used loosely to refer to everyday situations where one person feels indebted against their will, to another, in order to receive an essential service or avoid legal consequences.

Neither extortion nor blackmail require a threat of a criminal act, such as violence, merely a threat used to elicit actions, money, or property from the object of the extortion. Such threats include the filing of reports (true or not) of criminal behavior to the police, revelation of damaging facts (such as pictures of the object of the extortion in a compromising position), etc.

#39 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Kinda sounds like it is from wiki...

There is no threat to Obama so no it isn't.

Edit: if Obama does not provide info Trump is not doing something to him.

Edited by Shift-4, 25 October 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#40 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yes extortion is that done by a public official, the correct term for this would be blackmail.

The core issue is the definition of blackmail which is often misconceived. For it to be blackmail, the word 'or' has to be explicitly used; in this case however, the term was 'and', "release your transcripts and passport application, and I will pay ... to a charity of your choice". This point of view was supported by some NYC lawyer, Raoul in a public statement. It could of course be implied that the term 'or' was present, as trump will not donate to a charity of Obama's choice unless he released his transcripts. In this case the double negative could be used to imply intention, "release your transcripts or I will not donate to charity". It's quite clear that Trump was trying force Obama's hand in releasing the transcripts, which is strong enough to build the basis for blackmail.

The actual legal definition for blackmail is as follows:

"21-3428. Blackmail.

Blackmail is gaining or attempting to gain anything of value or compelling another to act against such person's will, by threatening to communicate accusations or statements about any person that would subject such person or any other person to public ridicule, contempt or degradation.

Blackmail is a severity level 7, nonperson felony"

As you can see, the word 'or' doesn't explicitly have to be used. The case could certainly be used for blackmail, but I will let the true legal experts determine if that is true.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#41 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

unlawfully obtaining property from a person through coercion.
Demanding the private records of the president be provided or else he'll withhold a promised charity donation.

#42 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

:picard:

Obama is being coerced to do something but he doesn't lose anything if he refuses. In fact nobody loses anything if he doesn't.

This is not blackmail or extortion.

#43 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

:picard:

Obama is being coerced to do something but he doesn't lose anything if he refuses. In fact nobody loses anything if he doesn't.

This is not blackmail or extortion.

he loses public opinion/respect. Something key to performing/keeping his job. a case COULD be made, though i doubt it would hold up.

#44 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

although not an obama fan, the man is still the pres. he should not even acknowledge this attention seeking idiot with a response.
Fire MG

#45 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

he loses public opinion/respect. Something key to performing/keeping his job. a case COULD be made, though i doubt it would hold up.

I don't see why he would. In fact one could argue he could lose more respect if he answered the ridiculous requests of a moron.

(the post you quoted wasn't directed at you)

#46 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,079 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

It is very much extortion, but we won't see any arresting of trump till after the election is over. Extorting the president is a pretty serious offence, and since trump went public he really doesn't have any means for defence. He's untouchable right now as if he were to be prosecuted the right would make a thing about Obama suppressing "job creators".

I fully expect something to be done, although it might only result in a public apology. The scary thing is grown adults actually share trump's perspective that President Obama wasn't born in the US or isn't an American. There is no basis for these arguments, just hints of racism from a party that can't stand to have a progressive black president.

It's cute how the Republicans play this card after running John McCain in the last election.

aXmDa9t.gif

#47 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

The more Trump denounces Obama, the higher ratings for ‘Celebrity Apprentice'

Reality show “Celebrity Apprentice” ratings showed an upward movement, since billionaire real estate developer Donald Trumpannounced back in early February he wanted to run for President in 2012.
The more the business mogul appears in public and take jabs at President Barack Obama, the larger the audience for Trump’s show.
According to the Nielsen Media Research Data, below shows how the famous New Yorker’s reality show’s ratings climbed up, since launching his possible presidential run:
Early February, Trump is at CPAC, and mentions that nobody knows about Obama’s childhood. "They never saw him; they don't know who he is. It's crazy," said Trump.
Early and mid March, Comedy Centralheavily promotes, “Roast of Donald Trump,” and Season 4 of Celebrity Apprentice debuts to about 7.9 million viewers. (Last year’s ratings was up about 5%)
The show’s ratings climb up slightly to an average of 8.13 million viewers, week of March 13.
On St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, Trumps goes head-on with a "GMA" interview, and brings up Obama’s birth certificate and stresses on it. Trump doesn’t think Obama was born in the United States. The business mogul says, "The whole thing is very strange."
By March 20, Nielsen ratings show Apprentice's ratings up by 4 million viewers, totaling 8.17 million viewers.
Early April, ratings climbed some more, totaling 8.646 million viewers with adults 18-49.
Trump still has not made it official that he will definitely run for President, and strongly feels that he will do a better job and turn the economy around for the better.
Although, it is proven that the more the real estate mogul makes appearances and talks about how bad the United States is moving, the more viewers tune in to his show.

This article is slightly dated , but the idea still holds true .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 25 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#48 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

the apprentice is still on TV?

#49 biznasty

biznasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

"Inner city kids in Chicago". What a d bag.
Posted Image

#50 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

the apprentice is still on TV?

season 12 finished recently , he is probably just keeping the brand in the spotlight .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#51 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

POPULAR

What kind of a man would deny $5 million from cancer research?

Obama would!

Post a scan of your passport, your birth certificate and your college transcript in this thread and I'll donate $100 to the charity of your choice. I swear to God I will, I'll even upload a receipt to prove it. I know it's no $5 million (I don't have that kind of money) but you wouldn't rob a charity of $100 would you?

#52 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Come on Mr. Awfull, nobody likes a hypocrite!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 25 October 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#53 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Post a scan of your passport, your birth certificate and your college transcript in this thread and I'll donate $100 to the charity of your choice. I swear to God I will, I'll even upload a receipt to prove it. I know it's no $5 million (I don't have that kind of money) but you wouldn't rob a charity of $100 would you?

Mr,Awful is still trying to grasp the concept that "charity begins at home", so he may want the check made out to himself? .. ::D

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#54 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, make it $1000 and i am sure many will take you up on it. I think the president releasing his college transcripts and passport application aka foreign national would have been released long ago if they werent problematic.

Its probably more damming than Romneys last 8 years of tax returns because everyone knows Romneys rich and the worst you are going to get is he used even more loopholes to avoid taxes.

If there was anything wrong with Romneys tax returns, believe me, the Obama led IRS would have put him in JAIL by now let alone discredit him.

But in the end, I dont get why Trump thinks offering Obama a BRIBE is going to convince undecided voters to vote for Romney.

So its just a way for the Donald to try to stay in the news.
Posted Image

#55 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

So if you guys havent heard (or not be into The US presidency campaign thats going on) trump has proposed to donate 5 million dolllars to a charity of obamas choice if he presents all of his college and passport applications/information to meet trumps satisfaction.

Trump believes obama is the least transparent president in history and says this will settle a lot of hatred from americans towards obama.

http://m.youtube.com...t&v=MgOq9pBkY0I

So what do you guys think? Will he do it?

Obama is the president, no one cares about Trump and his crappy hairdo. Honestly, why would Obama listen to requests from Trump?

Posted Image

#56 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Obama is such a natural .. Romney is .... not .. :rolleyes:

Obama is way better than Romney, what are you talking about? The only thing Romney knows about is business and how to make a profit. He doesn't have any clue about foreign policies and everything else that a president must know about. Romney only has his unproven 5 point plan that he keeps clamoring about.

Posted Image

#57 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

He wont.
Posted Image

#58 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Obama is way better than Romney, what are you talking about? The only thing Romney knows about is business and how to make a profit. He doesn't have any clue about foreign policies and everything else that a president must know about. Romney only has his unproven 5 point plan that he keeps clamoring about.

Plus, Obama has a much more likeable personality to begin with. He's younger, much more in touch with the younger demographic. Romney is just an another rich, white, old republican fart.
Posted Image

#59 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

5 million? really? That's pocket change to Donald Trump. Up it to $100 million and we may have something.

140an3r.jpg

#60 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I do believe you completely missed my point .. alas, I will leave it as it is .. sarcasm is a dangerous "tool" ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.