The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen Tweets ‘I Give Up’ Before Jumping In Front of Subway Train

nux4lyfe

And if the situation were reversed, a guy that banged 4 girls at once, he'd be a stud and all would bow low before him and sing his praises...yet a girl does and she's a slut, a pariah.....how much you want a bet that the very guys that 'banged' her in that situation were part of the bully pack. What heroes........

I am gob-smacked at the people in this thread blaming the victim of the bullying for her bullying. Saying she deserved everything she got. It dumbfounds me and makes me a little sad and scared for society today if these posters are an indication of young people today. Unfortunately, it gives a very clear indication of why bullying is still such an issue today and why kids are killing themselves because bullies have made their lives so horrible that death feels like the only escape. Unbelievable, just unbelievable. :sadno:

Who needs media references? How about the fact the media hasn't come out and stated that suicide isn't the answer. Instead they are basically condoning it by making them martyrs. Through social media Amanda Todd has been made a hero of almost star status. For someone who is extremely depressed and feels alone, it makes the attention they may get in death something worth while to them.

I also speak from personal experience. I've been to two funerals now of people who have committed suicide. Both times there were many people in the church including children. The pastor told everyone how the person was in so much pain and felt he had no options. But that person was no at peace and had moved on to a a better place. They were no longer in pain. What kind of message does that send?

Maybe human life should be held at a greater respect than it is. I don't care how bad life is, suicide is not the answer, and the people that kill themselves shouldn't be completely absolved of responsibility.

So this girl had "le sexytime" with four dudes at once and wasn't able to take the heat?

If I was a girl, and in her position, what I would've done is moved schools. But, we don't know what her complete situation was. (Moving schools, city, etc.).

Plus, why does it hurt people when you get called names for what you are? You cannot expect the world to be all flowers and rainbows after everybody knowing what you've done. What she did was not socially acceptable and that's why she seemed to be "out there" and easy to pick on.. things happen, but she shouldn't have killed herself. In the end, she let the bullies win.

Yes, nobody ever deserves to be bullied, not even a bully. I understand it would do things to someone's daily life.

Before anybody gets on my a$$, I do not condone suicide nor bullying, but I believe you should expect some sort of judgement from people if you do socially unacceptable things.

It also amazes me how some of you can be so ignorant towards this issue and how severe depression and bullying is, especially in the adolescent mind where hormones are running rampant. A lot of people after years and years of bullying see no other escape. It's not the easy way out, it's not being selfish, it's them feeling that it's the only option and escape route left. It's a last resort, never the first.

I wonder how many people ever thought that this girl slept with those guys that night for acceptance. For some, it does get to the point where a person will do almost anything to be accepted. Sleeping with 4 guys off the football team could seem like a perfect way to get 4 of the more popular guys in school to like you. I could see this backlash against hopes for acceptance being enough to push someone over the edge like she did.

One thing I wish the media would stop doing however, is putting these victims on a soapbox for the anti-bullying campaign. Yes, something needs to be done, but I think just as much awareness needs to be placed on how to handle it properly.

So did everyone else miss this part of the article?

"Even before her suicide, Felicia’s life was marked by tragedy, the sources said. She was living with a foster family and a chronic runaway who had been reported missing seven times, they said."

I could be wrong but I'm thinking this girl had much bigger problems than just bullying. You've got to be pretty messed up to sleep with 4 guys in one night, let alone at 15 years old. There's clearly a lot more going on here, but sure let's focus on the football players and the school yard taunts because that's a much sexier story. She lived a short cruel life and now she gets to have her sexual exploits debated in international news. This seems like a classic case of the media piggy-backing on the Amanda Todd story and finding another poor dead teen girl to exploit for cash. And before anyone talks about "awareness" you've got to be pretty naive to believe that's why this story was printed.

And if the situation were reversed, a guy that banged 4 girls at once, he'd be a stud and all would bow low before him and sing his praises...yet a girl does and she's a slut, a pariah.....how much you want a bet that the very guys that 'banged' her in that situation were part of the bully pack. What heroes........

It's all fun and games when someone gets their head cut off, no sympathy towards that situation. But the moment someone gets bullied and ends up killing themselves, "Oh won't someone please think of the children!"

From a recent study:

-While suicide rates for teens and young adults have gone up over the decades, suicide rates for adults and seniors have gone down.

-Teen suicide rates in rural areas are higher than in inner city areas.

-Teen suicide rates are even higher in areas with high female divorce rates.

-Teen girls attempt suicide more, but teen boys follow through more.

Teen suicide attempts are:

1. a way to punish parents or other adults

or 2. are linked to deliquency, drug use, sexual activity, and/or victimization - caused by one's own bad decisions or the environment they live in

-Social contagion also plays a role

-The economy also plays a role. Suicide (and homicide) rates were highest during the great depression.

Teen suicides result:

-because in one's youth, you tend to discount adulthood and old age. Old age: 'Well, i'm going to die soon anyway, so why not just wait it out' Adulthood: 'Well, i have to weigh in not seeing my grandkids, as well as my current responsibilities.' Teens and young adults: 'I have nothing to lose. I won't miss what i don't have.'

-when random shocks are large and this discounting is high

-when levels of unhappiness are very high due to the reasons explained in suicide attempt rates above

Conclusion:

-We're not instilling enough value of future lives into our children.

-We're also not instilling enough other moral values into our children, for various social-economic reasons.

-Teens and young adults need people to see them through to the next stage of their life. These people are usually parents and friends.

-If their parents are split or vacant and their friends abandon them, then their instilled moral and life values should see them through their period of loss. Without these values, they are lost.

-Life conditions for teens and young adults is poor and getting poorer. Our school system is failing us and so is the parental system. To reverse this we may need a social revolution.

I don't condone bullying but seriously, I've seen stuff like this growing up and it's been this way for ages. What is with kids these days, you'd think all the desensitization they would handle it even better than we did as children, it's sad that it's come to this.

I don't condone bullying but seriously, I've seen stuff like this growing up and it's been this way for ages. What is with kids these days, you'd think all the desensitization they would handle it even better than we did as children, it's sad that it's come to this.

Archived