196 replies to this topic

#1 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

A 15-year-old Tottenville High School student who committed suicide yesterday afternoon at the Huguenot Staten Island Railway station was apparently the victim of ceaseless verbal abuse from classmates that followed her right up to the moment she jumped in front of a subway train.
Friends of Felicia Garcia said she was on receiving end of regular invective barrages, particularly from football players who harassed her over a past relationship with one of the school's athletes.
"This poor girl was called a slut. She was teased on Facebook," a senior named Victoria told the New York Post.
Garcia, a foster child whose parents allegedly passed away, would often complain about her progressively worsening situation on Twitter and Instagram. On Monday, two days before she took her own life, Garcia posted one final tweet: "I can't, I'm done, I give up."

Posted Image felicia garcia @feliciagarcia97

I cant, im done, I give up
22 Oct 12

Some students who were on the train platform with Garcia yesterday said the football players were still taunting her right up to the end, hurling "sexually explicit jeers."
When the train arrived, Garcia reportedly said "Finally it's here," before leaping backwards onto the tracks.
"I hope the football team feels guilty for what they did to her," said Garcia's friend, 15-year-old Stephanie Imparato. "They were torturing her. How can you go through life being verbally assaulted like that? These guys are cruel and malicious."
The NYPD is said to be investigating claims that bullying played a central role in Garcia's suicide.
The same train station was the site of another teen suicide just over two years ago.

http://gawker.com/59...dium=socialflow

Looks like bullies will never learn..

Posted Image

Felicia Garcia is shown in this Facebook photo. Garcia, 15, jumped as the train arrived at the Huguenot station on Huguenot Ave., Staten Island on Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2102. The platform was packed with nearly 200 students, witnesses said.

The tormented Staten Island teenager who killed herself by jumping in the path of a train was bullied to death by classmates after she had sex with four football players, police sources said Thursday.

Felicia Garcia, a 15-year-old freshman at Tottenville High School, was driven to her death after two 17-year-old classmates blabbed about the encounters.

“Kids are saying she had sex with some guys from the football team at a party after the game,” said a friend of the doomed girl who asked not to be identified. “Later on they wouldn't leave her alone about it. They just kept bullying her and bullying her.”

After the weekend, the bullying sent Felicia into the final tailspin in a long-troubled life.
Posted Image
Nicholas Fevelo for New York Daily News

Felicia Garcia committed suicide at this Tottenville train station.

“I cant, im done, I give up,” she tweeted Monday.

School officials heard of the bullying and set up a mediation session Wednesday with a counselor and one of the 17-year-old boys. The teenager denied harassing the girl, the sources said.

Leaving the office, Felicia later ran into the other 17-year-old who had been making her life miserable — and they exchanged words, the sources said.

Police did not say what was said. But it was enough to send Felicia marching off to the Huguenot station of the Staten Island Railroad, where she killed herself in front of horrified classmates.

Senior Alissa Compitello said she saw Felicia on the way to the train station and the girl told her that she had the mediation because of the bullying.

“She was smiling though, like everything was going to be okay,” said Compitello, 17.

But a quick look at Felicia’s Instagram account would have revealed the depths of her despair. On it, she placed a picture of herself with the word “Depressed” covering her eyes.

“Just because someone is smiling doesn’t make them happy,” read her caption.
Posted Image

Friends say the teen was tormented in the days leading up to her suicide.

Even before her suicide, Felicia’s life was marked by tragedy, the sources said. She was living with a foster family and a chronic runaway who had been reported missing seven times, they said.

Detectives are now questioning the students accused of harassing Felicia and combing through Facebook and other social media for evidence that she was bullied. They have also questioned the four varsity football players with whom Felicia had sex.

“They said at no time was the victim pressured into doing anything,” one of the police sources said.
The Board of Education has sent a crisis team to Tottenville H.S. to deal with the tragedy. Some students described a school besieged.

“I have a feeling mad s---- its gonna pop off in school tmrw,” one student Tweeted Wednesday, after news spread about the suicide.

Felicia’s life began spinning out of control Saturday when she went to a post-football game party and agreed to have sex with some of the players, police sources said.

On Monday, Felicia told a girlfriend about the encounters and told her they were consensual, police sources said.
Posted Image

A memorial for suicide victim Felicia Garcia at the Tottenville Train Station.

“Everything was fine with her until she went to that football game Saturday night,” said Compitello. “We need to do something about these bullies. There is too much bullying going on in this school. We need justice.”

Sara Brager, a 16-year-old junior, said she was on the platform when Felicia handed her cell phone to a pal, walked to the edge of the platform, then fell backward into the path of an oncoming train. She said she is haunted by Felicia’s final words.

“Just before she fell, she said, ‘Finally, it’s here,’” said Brager. “It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...8#ixzz2AN2G8VTb

Edited by nux4lyfe, 25 October 2012 - 08:06 PM.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#2 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Quite Similar to Amanda Todd. I really hope that these people cannot sleep because of the guilt they will carry. I also hope these bullies change themselves and become better people.

#3 believe in blue forever

believe in blue forever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

R.I.P.
Posted Image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin
Luongo is blamed for a lot of things. I think he was blamed for the teachers strike, and the high gas prices in Vancouver. Alain Vigneault

#4 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

POPULAR

I might sound a little harsh, but this is getting ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, this is a tragedy. But the problem is, with what happened with Amanda Todd, bullied teens are realizing that, by committing suicide, they can get an ultimate revenge on their bullies. They'll be worshipped like they were some saint, and those kids that bullied them will get a taste of their own medicine, with these death threats yelled at them. The dead kid will have died knowing they ruined their tormentors lives, with a horrible guilt that will probably haunt the (in this case, football team,) to their own grave. The teen who died, however tragic a life they had, will become popular, LOVED, something they think no one ever showed them while they were alive. I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, and I don't pretend to know what was going through these kids heads, but I just wish people could care about these kids while they're still alive, and not make these useless facebook memorial pages when they die. R.I.P. Felicia Garcia and Amanda Todd.

Edited by ER15, 25 October 2012 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

#5 CanucksHD

CanucksHD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

R.I.P :(

#6 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

WOW
Go Canucks Go

#7 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Seriously, is bullying-induced suicide on the rise, or is it that we just hear more about it because of social media?!? Bullying has been going on for ever, so why is it all of a sudden so unbearable? I am guessing because now bullying just doesnt stop at school, but follows the bullied over Facebook, etc. Obviously I am not in favor of bullying and would like to see it stop, but I am just curious as to why there is such a public outcry against in recent years.

#8 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,294 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Curious to see how this plays out. She doesn't even attempt to make herself the victim like Todd, and there's no slow soundtrack or sad eyes to help with a mood. Instead, we've got a handful (no pun intended) of cleavage and ass photos, and a slew of tweets that would gather nothing more than ire from anyone with half a brain

Quick, someone tell me why I should care

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#9 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

POPULAR

Curious to see how this plays out. She doesn't even attempt to make herself the victim like Todd, and there's no slow soundtrack or sad eyes to help with a mood. Instead, we've got a handful (no pun intended) of cleavage and ass photos, and a slew of tweets that would gather nothing more than ire from anyone with half a brain

Quick, someone tell me why I should care

If you don't care, why did you even post in this thread? It was easy enough just to skim right past it without even opening it to read. You've made your feelings regarding this issue patently clear in other bullying/suicide threads so it appears you've only posted in this one to troll.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 25 October 2012 - 07:36 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#10 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,294 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

POPULAR

Anyone else?

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#11 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

POPULAR

I might sound a little harsh, but this is getting ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, this is a tragedy. But the problem is, with what happened with Amanda Todd, bullied teens are realizing that, by committing suicide, they can get an ultimate revenge on their bullies. They'll be worshipped like they were some saint, and those kids that bullied them will get a taste of their own medicine, with these death threats yelled at them. The dead kid will have died knowing they ruined their tormentors lives, with a horrible guilt that will probably haunt the (in this case, football team,) to their own grave. The teen who died, however tragic a life they had, will become popular, LOVED, something they think no one ever showed them while they were alive. I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, and I don't pretend to know what was going through these kids heads, but I just wish people could care about these kids while they're still alive, and not make these useless facebook memorial pages when they die. R.I.P. Felicia Garcia and Amanda Todd.

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. You're trying to tell me that she did this for fame when she's not even gonna be alive to witness it? REALLY? Those bullies deserve to feel pain and guilt for what they did and there isn't ANY excuse for it. They should be tried for murder in my honest opinion.

For you though you probably haven't gone through anything like these 2 girls did, and it's something no one deserves... and especially doesn't need to end in someone taking their life.

Posted Image

#12 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

So teens are committing suicide to get attention and turn the table on the bullies. :sadno: .
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#13 Imuzi

Imuzi

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

What happened to whuppin' the bully's ass? That usually solves the problem

Posted Image

#14 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

POPULAR

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. You're trying to tell me that she did this for fame when she's not even gonna be alive to witness it? REALLY? Those bullies deserve to feel pain and guilt for what they did and there isn't ANY excuse for it. They should be tried for murder in my honest opinion.

For you though you probably haven't gone through anything like these 2 girls did, and it's something no one deserves... and especially doesn't need to end in someone taking their life.

Probably not even in the top 50 of ignorant and/or uninformed posts if you have spent any period of time on CDC.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#15 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm not saying she did it for fame. I never meant it that way. I simply wish people would care about these girls before they died, not after. I'm really sorry if you took it the wrong way. And, like I said, I can't pretend to know what they were going through. However, I won't change my post, I said it, and I won't change what I wrote, because in real life, you can't take back what you say, and I'm sure these bullies really wish they could. And if people take it the wrong way, so be it. I never meant to judge, and looking back, it might have sounded like I was saying she was doing it for fame. Sorry 'bout that. These deaths were horrible tragedies, and I wish they had never happened. R.I.P.

Edited by ER15, 25 October 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Posted Image

#16 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Bully Free Zone

As an interesting aside, in the hockey documentary just being released The Last Gladiators Chris Nilan talks about his own attempt to combat bullying in schools. As a former NHL enforcer he emphasizes not only sticking up for yourself but making sure that people stand up to bullies for other people.

Edited by theminister, 25 October 2012 - 07:53 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#17 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

POPULAR

If you don't care, why did you even post in this thread? It was easy enough just to skim right past it without even opening it to read. You've made your feelings regarding this issue patently clear in other bullying/suicide threads so it appears you've only posted in this one to troll.

If this wasn't a girl you wouldn't even have taken the time to post.

MessiSig.jpg

Credit to: MrNHLFanatic

#18 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Drama queens, so she got called a slut.. or fat or w/e who hasnt.. If you're gonna kill yourself over getting called a name.. honestly.. good riddance the world doesnt need that in it any more than it needs the bullies.

Im more inclined to feel bad for the train driver who now has to live knowing he killed a little girl.

"its too much.. I cant go on... " Suck it up yah feline..

Edited by G-52, 25 October 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Posted Image

#19 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

I've had many urges to just end it all by jumping in front of a train, but I've always managed to convince my way out of it. It's unfortunate to hear that someone so young, lost her fight against depression/bullies.

R.I.P

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#20 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Did you read the article? She was being bullied by the football team, which, for the record, is something the players are outright denying.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#21 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Drama queens, so she got called a slut.. or fat or w/e who hasnt.. If you're gonna kill yourself over getting called a name.. honestly.. good riddance the world doesnt need that in it any more than it needs the bullies.

Show some damn respect. A person died, as a result of bullying, and you're making fun of her. My post has officially lost the "Most ignorant so far in this thread" title.

Edited by ER15, 25 October 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Shut the frack up. As someone who's suffered through depression in the past, I can tell you have no idea what goes through someone in that situation's head. We don't need people in the world like you either.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#23 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,294 posts

According to the New York Post, she was bullied after participating in what the kids call "a gang bang" with four football players one night.

“They were torturing her,” Imparato said. “How can you go through life being verbally assaulted like that? These guys are cruel and malicious.”
A senior who knew her, 17-year-old Victoria, who asked her last name not be used, said the bullying happened in hallways and online.
“This poor girl was called a sl--. She was teased on Facebook. People knock books out of kids hands,” she said.

“She got bullied in the school, especially by the football players, because she looked different and had piercings,” said senior Amanda Liquori.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#24 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

If this wasn't a girl you wouldn't even have taken the time to post.

You're making assumptions, as per usual.

Im more inclined to feel bad for the train driver who now has to live knowing he killed a little girl.

Now this ^^^qualifies for one of the most ignorant posts ever made on CDC.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#25 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Did you really read what you wrote here? In these cases, the bullies won not the other way around. I doubt these tragedies affect the bullies anyways so you don't have to worry about those precious bullies.

Posted Image

#26 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,309 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

You went a little far there...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#27 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

That's what I would do.

RIP

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#28 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Personally going through depression and anxiety myself, you feel like nobody understands how you feel. Anybody that's trying to judge her shut the frack up, and show some damn respect.
Learn how it feels to have people hate you and torture you every single day, then be told "suck it up". Ignorant bystanders are worse than the bullies themselves.
Posted Image

#29 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

That's what I would do.

RIP

15 year old girl beating up the football team? Sure, that'll happen.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#30 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I doubt these tragedies affect the bullies anyways so you don't have to worry about those precious bullies.

I don't worry about them. However, you think that it won't affect them? After a person died because of something they did? I doubt that. Don't take it the wrong way. I don't want to try and make out like they're the victims here, Nothing could be further from the truth.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.