The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen Tweets ‘I Give Up’ Before Jumping In Front of Subway Train

nux4lyfe

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to atone myself from the sins that I haven't committed, father.

I don't believe she deserved death or ridicule or any of that. But I also believe what a person does or doesn't "deserve" is way, way, way above and beyond me. So far beyond me, in fact, that it's actually just a bunch of hot air to even discuss it. I don't care. The morals of people who don't matter to me... well, don't matter to me.

However, I'm very Paris, 1941 in that I believe responsibility is an essential thing to how we approach life, at any age.

Seriously?

At 15 if you get in a gangbang with 4 guys, you're going to get ridiculed for being a slut, and deservedly so.

People get ridiculed. They get harassed. You are a liar if you are telling me you didn't harass somebody just because they did something that was either really stupid, nerdy, rude, slutty, etc.

Now, I don't know how much she was being harassed. Some might say "well clearly enough to kill herself." But honestly, I feel, as ludicrous as it may sound, as this girl might be impressional. And by that, I mean she's an overdramatic teenage girl in this generation, might get some ridiculous thoughts from the whole Amanda Todd thing.

Like I said, I don't know how badly she was being 'bullied'. I mean, you have to expect to get a lot of crap for getting in a gangbang with 4 guys at 15 years old. And no, I don't think she paid for her mistake. I think you pay by toughing out the heavier ridicule for a while, and having that mistake overhang you lightly for the rest of your life. People bring it up at parties and whatnot. That's what I'd expect. And I'm sure that was what it was, not horrible emotional torture. But then that brings up statements like "well, everybody's different, she's more sensitive." I just think you have to expect to be harassed for that, and I just can't help but doubt it was worse than what I expect.

I don't know. I'm ranting off the top of my head right now. It's a sad waste of life, I feel for her friends and family, but in my mind I just think this is stupid. I'm not saying this contemptuously, I don't want to be a jerk. Don't know the whole story, so I'm withholding my definitive judgement. But it just seems so ridiculous and stupid.

Seriously?

At 15 if you get in a gangbang with 4 guys, you're going to get ridiculed for being a slut, and deservedly so.

People get ridiculed. They get harassed. You are a liar if you are telling me you didn't harass somebody just because they did something that was either really stupid, nerdy, rude, slutty, etc.

And again, this thread, like the Amanda Todd thread, is mostly focused on the discussion whether or not "she deserved" her fate.

Is that really the point, here? What is wrong with you guys?

Clearly this girl made poor decisions regarding her sex life. I don't think ANYONE is disputing that, so I don't even know why we're talking about that.

The point is, yes, I suppose you could say some fallout would occur after doing something like that, but to say this girl deserved the bullying she received is just stupid. Should some ridicule be expected? Most likely, yes. That doesn't mean that bullying isn't a real problem and a real issue that we need to give attention to.

Bullying is unacceptable. That's the point.

Either you are one fortunately naive guy, or you're a liar. I'm going with a liar. You have ridiculed someone to some degree about something. That is a fact. No, it doesn't serve a purpose. But it happens anyways. It's human nature. One weight on the balance of life, and sometimes that weight's too heavy.

If I said she deserved ridicule in my original post, I'll rephrase that. She should EXPECT to deserve ridicule. That's reality. I'm not somebody who's pessimistic about human nature, but that's just crazy to expect nothing in return for having sex with 4 guys at once at the age of 15.

The problem with what you're saying in the "been there" part, is that you have no idea about this girl's mental health, despite the buzzword "depression" usage in the article. And "depression," as a word, is more or less an ambiguous term at this point, unless thoroughly explained or analyzed by professionals. Even the people in this thread realized that, so they tacked on "clinical" as a prefix, like it's the impenetrable fortress, making the assumption that this girl was clinically depressed. They didn't know that. The "there" you used implies that YOU, in your empathy, DO KNOW what "there" is, and others (who disagree) don't. When in reality, YOU don't know what "there" is either, because we (you included) have no idea about how this kid felt.

Your comment also suggests that it was depression guiding her actions, when--again--we have no real indication that this is the truth. Maybe she was pressured? Maybe she was raped? Maybe she was having the best day of her life up until that point? All we have is the conflicting reaction from other students.

To suggest someone is "ignorant" just because they disagree with you seems a bit crass, IMO. Especially when the point of reference is so small.

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. You're trying to tell me that she did this for fame when she's not even gonna be alive to witness it? REALLY? Those bullies deserve to feel pain and guilt for what they did and there isn't ANY excuse for it. They should be tried for murder in my honest opinion.

For you though you probably haven't gone through anything like these 2 girls did, and it's something no one deserves... and especially doesn't need to end in someone taking their life.

Archived