6226 replies to this topic

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Too many lockout/CBA threads popping up. Since this one is generating the most discussion and contains all the important info, please keep all smaller announcements and updates in here. At such time that something significant is announced we can open a new thread. Thanks. hv88

@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA NHL commissioner Gary Bettman just spoke. Made it very clear the league intends to lock out if no deal is reached by Sept 15

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 26 October 2012 - 11:31 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

POPULAR

I hate you Bettman!
Posted Image

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I suppose this really shouldn't come as a surprise.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm going to 'Boo' him next time he talks here even HARDER NOW!!

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#5 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Subbancopy.jpg

#6 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

POPULAR

One more nail in the coffin of what the NHL used to be.

Greed is killing what was the greatest sport.

The insistence to have and maintain franchises in non-hockey markets together with the greed of the owners is destroying the product.

How unfirtunate there isn't an alternative for pro hockey in NA. If there was, the NHL owners and their incompetent a$$ of a CEO would all be singing a different tune.

I've been a hockey fan since I was being held by my gramps to watch games in black and white. The combination of all the politics, greed and BS rule changes is making me have second thoughts of whether the NHL is even worth my time.

#7 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

#@&% I hate Bettman!

Posted Image

#8 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hopefully it is grandstanding. Bettman has been an awful commissioner. Watered down the league to what it is now. Teams that have to be supported by the successful teams. And now facing his 2nd lockout since he came on board. Should have stayed with the NBA. Both sides are very greedy. What a mess. Shame on you Gary.

#9 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Do players still get paid while a lock-out is on?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#10 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hopefully it is grandstanding. Bettman has been an awful commissioner. Watered down the league to what it is now. Teams that have to be supported by the successful teams. And now facing his 2nd lockout since he came on board. Should have stayed with the NBA. Both sides are very greedy. What a mess. Shame on you Gary.

He's actually been a GREAT commissioner.... for the owners. They're the ones who hired him and pay his salary.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#11 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Posted Image

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#12 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Interesting article on CBA Myths

The first casualty of war, they say, is the truth. Well, through a strike and two lockouts, we learned long ago that the first casualty of labour strife is objectivity.

Everyone has a horse in this National Hockey League labour race. The agents are firmly on the players' side, spewing fact and fiction to support their clients' right to earn. The owners trot out labour deals from the NBA and NFL that prop up their belief that the hockey pie is unfairly split, like what happens on a basketball court or football field has anything to do with this fight.

And the fans? They listen to both sides talk about how important the fans are, while fully realizing that neither side will ever bring up the fact ticket prices have far outreached the average Canadian family, let alone do something about it.

So, as the clouds of self-interest form on the CBA horizon, we bring you some of the myths we've seen before, and are seeing again in the summer of 2012:

Myth No. 1: That Gary Bettman promised ticket prices would fall when the owners got the deal they wanted back in 2005.

We may have hoped ticket prices would fall once the owners got their cap. It may be sound thinking to believe that the owners should have passed some of their savings along to the paying customer, when they squeezed the players for millions of dollars in the last lockout.

But we recall specifically asking Gary Bettman if that would be the case, and as is his wont, his wordy answer did not at any time address the question asked.

We're not saying he's right, or that tickets aren't outrageously priced in Canadian markets. We're just saying that if anybody out there ever heard Bettman promise ticket price rollbacks, we'd like to see the quote.

Myth No. 2: Don't pick a fight with the players. They're used to having each others' backs.

Players are players. Sure, they're up for a fight. And after accepting a cap last time, they won't roll over this time around.

But the singular fact each and every player gleaned from the last lockout is this: All of that lost salary is salary you'll never earn back. Some player down the road will perhaps earn more because you stood strong in the fall of 2012. But personally, you're out thousands -- perhaps millions -- of dollars, and that guy you're standing up for will be at training camp, trying to take your job.

Across the table, a percentage of NHL owners ARE actually losing money. So it is easier for them to hold out and miss some games -- particularly the early season ones that are a tough sell in many American markets.

Myth No. 3: The NHL truly needs more of the financial pie.

Bettman doesn't need it. He's got just as many Torontos and New Yorks -- teams that make massive profits -- as he does teams like Florida and Phoenix, the teams that need financial help.

There are plenty of revenue-sharing schemes that could healthy up teams like Anaheim and the Islanders. Bettman and the owners, like seemingly every rich guy I've ever met, would simply prefer to use someone else's money to fund their shortfalls, rather than their own.

Myth No. 4: Both sides are doing everything they can to avoid a lockout.

The NHL delivered 76,000 pages of financials to the NHLPA in late July. Like, that couldn't have happened three months ago? Two months ago?

The NHL waited too long to table its first proposal, an "offer" so preposterous it could have been delivered in January and not been any more poorly received. The NHLPA then asked for financials they knew they were going to require six months ago. Why wait so long?

We're OK with the fact that these things are deadline driven; that it is the very pressure of lost games and pay checks that will help to forge consensus.

Just own up to that fact.

Myth No. 5: There's no reason for the owners to lock out the players. Let's just start the season under the terms of the old CBA.

So union head Don Fehr says there is no reason to delay the start of the season. That is within accepted labour practices for the NHL to start the season under the terms of the current CBA, and continue to negotiate.

That is a fine strategy by Fehr, but unless nine-tenths of a new CBA is agreed upon by Sept. 15, it is completely unrealistic.

The fact that the owners cut the checks is the NHL's biggest hammer. If they start signing checks, what impetus is there for the players to accept the owners' terms?

How about this: The games go on as scheduled, but the players play for free until a deal is reached? Can you see that happening?

The players' hammer is their collective services. Nobody goes to a game to watch an owner. They'd never allow their services to be used without payment, nor should they.

With respect to Fehr, a man who we still believe can get the game going on time this fall, neither side is going to give up their bread and butter in good faith that a deal will get done down the road.

Mark Spector is the senior columnist on sportsnet.ca

http://www.sportsnet...some_cba_myths/

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#13 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Posted Image

I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#14 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

**** you GARY!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#15 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

i say, we need a betterman....instead of this bs, they should just say, hockey is cancelled till further notice...

#16 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

No! Which is why the league is so heavy-handed. Teams that are losing money actually do better with the league shut down so they are willing to hold-out as long as possible to starve the players.

Eventually the relationship will sour to where it may not be salvageable.

#17 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

frackin Bettman

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#18 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

POPULAR

Meh.

If there ends up being a lockout then maybe the officals will take the time to read the rule book during their time off.

#19 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

No! Which is why the league is so heavy-handed. Teams that are losing money actually do better with the league shut down so they are willing to hold-out as long as possible to starve the players.

Eventually the relationship will sour to where it may not be salvageable.

does it count as a year on the players contract?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

He's actually been a GREAT commissioner.... for the owners. They're the ones who hired him and pay his salary.

This. He's just their puppet and doesn't have the ability to run this league the way it should be. Too many owners want things their way even if it's not helpful to the league and this is no exception, either with the CBA negotiations or keeping Bettman around.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#21 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA NHL commissioner Gary Bettman just spoke. Made it very clear the league intends to lock out if no deal is reached by Sept 15

These Canadian owners should be screaming blue-bloody murder with HIS decision. But, I guess 7 healthy, prosperous, and functioning teams mean little to this man.

Edited by chisoxin12, 09 August 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#22 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Bettman on CBA: “The owners will not play another year under the current agreement”:

With labor negotiations heating up, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman echoed the owners’ refusal to play another season under the current CBA.

“We reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement,” Bettman told reporters following Thursday’s meetings.

This statement is significant regarding the agreement’s expiration date — Sept. 15.

NHLPA boss Donald Fehr has stated repeatedly that Sept. 15 “is not a magic date unless someone wants to make it so.”

“There’s nothing magic about Sept. 15. The law is that if you don’t have a new agreement, and as long as both sides are willing to keep negotiating, you can continue to play under the terms of the old one until you reach an agreement,” Fehr said back in late June. “All I know is that in baseball, there were any number of occasions in which we played while the parties were continuing to negotiate.”

Jesse Spector of The Sporting News pressed the commissioner further on the issue of continuing under the current CBA.

“Asked Bettman if NHL could operate if deal was close — crossing t’s, dotting i’s — on 9/15,” Spector tweeted. “He said if they were close, they’d get it done.”

The owners’ stance on not extending the current bargaining agreement means Sept. 15 is essentially a lockout date.

In other CBA-related news from today:

– Fehr said there’s a “meaningful gulf” between the two sides on revenue sharing.

– From ESPN’s Katie Strang: “NHLPA made a presentation in response to league’s proposed revenue-sharing system today. Counter-proposal coming Tuesday.”

http://prohockeytalk...rent-agreement/

307mg00.jpg

#23 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Bettman says they'll lock out, Donald Fehr says that his side is willing to not lockout and continue negotiating. I believe Bettman but appreciate Fehr's attempts to appear reasonable.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#24 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Just agree to terms on a new CBA, and fold Phoenix. Just get it done already. I can't go a year+ without hockey.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#25 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Absolutely moronic. Two lockouts in 10 years. It took long enough for the NHL to recover following the last lockout. It's not like it's basketball in the US where they crave it so badly, it can withstand a layoff. It will alienate all the fans it worked so hard to get back.

That said... Bettman saying this is just posturing.

10055118.jpg

You don't understand anything, man. Leave your stupid comments in your pocket

#26 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

i say, we need a betterman....instead of this bs, they should just say, hockey is cancelled till further notice...

Eddie Vedder? ;)

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#27 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The CBA expires on September 15th. Why would they not lock out the players if there was no deal in place by that day?
Posted Image

#28 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Nothing wrong with Bettman's stance IMO. The CBA has some loopholes that need to be closed, ie: cap circumvention. The revenue sharing needs to be revised to match other leagues. It needs to be at least 50/50. If there needs to be a lockout then so be it.

At least the league will be healthier going forward. I can take a couple of months delay in start to the season in exchange for long-term health of the NHL.

The only way to really put pressure on the players and let them know the league is serious is by threatening and following thru with a lockout. Nothing will get their attention like a few missed pay cheques.

#29 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I can't go a year+ without hockey.

I was going to suggest that a year without the NHL is an excellent time to get re-acquainted with the local junior team but, your profile says you live in PG. :lol: Better hope they resolve this thing!
Posted Image

#30 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

YAY!!! LOCKOUT - I am so happy, thank you thank you Bettman you are truly a gentleman and a scholar and all that is good about the corporate world!! :bigblush:

Obviously it is a negotiating tactic as the players have a lot more to lose from a year off of hockey than the owners who probably have multiple streams of income and revenue from other endeavors.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.