The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Nope. Pretty clearly, the owners are the greedy ones. And, from what the reports suggest, a group of 4 pigs from Boston, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and one other swine that's not coming to me at the moment. It's them who's controlling this whole thing.

The owners locked them out for no other reason than locking them out - NO other reason than greed. Record revenues, record growth. On the precipice of perhaps a major boom in the United States, with the Kings just winning the Cup, the Rangers doing good, the Hawks doing good, the Isles moving to a better market, etc.

The league could've continued on with this season without a CBA, or with a simple 1-year extension during which they could negotiate throughout the year. The NHL - not the PA - didn't want to do that. It's their fault.

However, you are forgetting a key factor, the NHLPA is a union. They aren't bargaining on an individual basis, they are bargaining for the collective group. As an older player near the end of his playing career, he would likely choose to play now instead of losing money. This is his perogative. However, unions typically see the long term. They don't just settle for what is good for a small part of the whole. They want a deal that will favour the majority of members for as long as possible. Not everyone is going to be happy with the final agreement and how much money is lost in getting the new deal, but that is the breaks of being unionized. Once you are on strike or locked out, it's generally accepted that you will never be able to regain the lost income from being out of work. Taking some short term losses for the benefit of future members is also at play here.

Agreed.

So I decided that leaving the cap at 70mil and freezing it until it drops below 50% HRR was the way to go. Its easiest and both sides win. The players still get their contracts and and the owners get their long term goals.

It sucks a bit for the owners in the short term because until revenue catches up it will be 57 then 54 then 52 then 50 % , but in return the NHLPA should give up concessions such as 5 year max contracts, UFA eligibility at age 28 or 10 years , and more flexible exceptions to waivers so teams can send more players up and down without exposing them.

I think if the NHLPA gives up these concessions the NHL will allow the 70mil cap and 50% HRR.

I think that is the type of concession that the owners have to make - imo their reneg is simply not how business should be conducted. I also don't think the complications of dropping the cap are acceptable - it goes too far in undermining the structure of teams.

Too bad you are not an influential owner. The reality is that while you think this is what the owners have to do, thye said very clearly they they don't want to do that, and guess what, they have all the power- they can keep the league closed for the entire year, and next year if they have to, and the one after that.The players say they will never accept a rollback, well guess what, their salaries are already being rolled back by the lockout. The league is asking for about 10% rolback total net, and many players will loose that after 20 games cancelled. They have to get their heads out of their asses and agree to 50/50 starting now, the only possible result of their action is less money than the current deal (which was already withdrawn by the way).

I think that is the type of concession that the owners have to make - imo their reneg is simply not how business should be conducted. I also don't think the complications of dropping the cap are acceptable - it goes too far in undermining the structure of teams. On the other hand, I'd be more inclined to allow the floor to drop - but only for teams that evidence the financial necessity of circumventing the floor.

I'm not stuck on limiting contracts to 5 year terms - I think that GMs are the owners agents and there is a great deal of irony in demands that contracts be that limited when teams freely enter into ridiculous terms. If the limit were more in 7 to 8 year range I think that would be an acceptable compromise.

I also like the idea of relaxing the rules around waivers - especially in the context of replacing an injured roster player or making space for a player returning from injury.

Please read the previous pages of this thread. There are lots of previous posts (by me and others) explaining the many issues, not just money, at stake for the players and explaining why the players simply caving in to the owners demands yet again will only ensure future lengthy lockouts.

The NHL claims they will lose $720 million after canceling all of Novembers games.

NHL claims it will lose $720 million by canceling games through Nov. Would it be too much to ask Bill Daly for documentation of that claim?

— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters)

After yesterday’s cancelled games, Gary Bettman has cancelled a total of 2,024 regular season games so far.

Should Nov games be cancelled as expected, Gary Bettman will have killed a total of 2,024 reg-season NHL games by lockout. & counting

— Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs)

Too bad you are not an influential owner. The reality is that while you think this is what the owners have to do, thye said very clearly they they don't want to do that, and guess what, they have all the power- they can keep the league closed for the entire year, and next year if they have to, and the one after that.The players say they will never accept a rollback, well guess what, their salaries are already being rolled back by the lockout. The league is asking for about 10% rolback total net, and many players will loose that after 20 games cancelled. They have to get their heads out of their asses and agree to 50/50 starting now, the only possible result of their action is less money than the current deal (which was already withdrawn by the way).

. Bettman's bluff is to try to use the players to prop up weak markets - what is interesting about that is that his ownerhip group is less willing to revenue share than the players are. Do you think that is a sign of unity and vote-of-confidence? I think Bettman stands to lose a great deal more than you realize - and imo, he's played the lockout card too many times.

Archived