The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

The PA should have just negotiated the best deal they could off of the NHL's last proposal. Now they've royally screwed us all.

Some owners were pissed that the NHL even offered more than 47 to the players.

Now we're going to miss a whole season and the PA is going to end up signing a deal that is worse than the NHL's last offer.

The NHL could have been back in 2 days.

Perhaps the NHLPA should have considered NOT bringing on a hired gun from the baseball wars to flex his muscle for them.

Wrong message to send to the people who actually own the league. The players are now paying the price for it.

I give the players a 50% deal take it or leave it , and if they dont take it then simply Ban the NHLPA players from the league and start a supplemental draft asap.

Perhaps the NHLPA should have considered NOT bringing on a hired gun from the baseball wars to flex his muscle for them.

Wrong message to send to the people who actually own the league. The players are now paying the price for it.

I give the players a 50% deal take it or leave it , and if they dont take it then simply Ban the NHLPA players from the league and start a supplemental draft asap.

Well, that's certainly true. Definitely not as fun though. :(

I really do understand that you're trying to understand why it seems the owners are so willing to shoot themselves in the foot, but I just don't see any proof for it. If things are that bad, there would be proof. But, all of the available proof actually proves that wrong. The economy didn't turn bad AFTER the last revenue numbers were released. It's been bad for years and despite that the NHL has admitted to record revenue highs set anew in each of the last 5 seasons through 2011. (Source: the NHL themselves http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=559630) Again, if 2011/12 season's numbers show that trend stopping or reversing, why aren't they sharing the numbers? Probably because, as that story notes, "NHL Enterprises revenue is forecasted to increase by 14.8 percent over last year." (That would also explain whey they are trying to use the 2010/11 numbers for the basis of their proposal despite having the 2011/12 numbers.)

Read on in that story and you'll see that major revenue streams have enjoyed significant increases, including a 33% increase in sponsorship over the previous year and overall merchandising sales increase of 15%. Add to that that in 2010/11 "NHL teams averaged 17,132 fans and played to 93.2 percent of capacity. This average is the third largest all-time and an increase over last year," and that would seem to indicate ticket revenue is increasing significantly as well. So, it would seem that when they're not in the midst of CBA negotiations the NHL has no problem bragging about how well they are doing despite the economy, but suddenly now they're crying poverty, saying they're all losing money, and won't share the revenue numbers from the previous season to backup their claims (most likely because their own predictions put it at one of the biggest yearly gains ever).

On top of that, team valuations have climbed easily above the rate of inflation. (Source: http://www.davemanue...05-lockout-135/) And that's not just the average as almost all individual teams saw their valuation increase since the last lockout.

Bottom line is the owners are playing chicken, hoping the players will cave yet again and give them everything they want. It's a business tactic and not even a smart one, as what they would lose will still never be made up over the course of the CBA if they lose an entire season. Players, on the other hand, have much more to lose than just money.

Ya I would totally want to see a bunch of scabs play in this new NHL! I don't go to games to watch Kesler, Sedins, or Edler. I go to games because I want to support the owners inherent right to be greedy!

Dude I'm with poetica, the facepalm is the only real response to a post this short-sighted.

If the NHL were to consider icing scabs or having a redraft I for one would never support the NHL again, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of Canucks fans. I would take my business and viewing pleasure elsewhere.

To poetica's point, does no one remember that big report the NHL had a 3rd party do during the last lockout to show what their economic situation was like at the time? I can't remember the name and Google isn't cooperating but it was a huge deal at the time. This time? The NHL won't let anyone near the books, even the NHLPA only got a cursory look at a collection of documents assembled to back up the bargaining position of the NHL. I think that says more than any statement either side has issued.

I am trying to believe that there are solid business reasons for ownership to beplaying hardball but poetica is throwing some doubt into that concept. I think he is asking me to believe that ownership would put a multi billion $ business at risk for a +/- $200 mil labour saving over the life of a CBA. That doesn't make sense to me.

If you think the owners or the players really care whether you walk away from the game then good for you. Your faith encourages me. This is a fight over money by two powerfull groups and their minions. I am trying to believe that there are solid business reasons for ownership to beplaying hardball but poetica is throwing some doubt into that concept. I think he is asking me to believe that ownership would put a multi billion $ business at risk for a +/- $200 mil labour saving over the life of a CBA. That doesn't make sense to me.

Totally agree, but it also makes me worry. What happens if the American economy gets its act together and we return to having a 20 or 30 cent gap between the dollars? All those Canadian Dollars the league relies on would shrink. It wasn't that long ago that the Canadian teams were receiving payments from their American counterparts to help deal with the low Canadian dollar.

Archived