The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

The problem with you all is that you are addicted to the game. After the 2004 lock-out, you rewarded the owners and PA with 3.3 Billion smackeroos. As an appreciation, they slapped you with another work stoppage a few years after.

Six years from now, the NHL and PA will lock it out again and decide how to divide the loot, and round and round we go........because you are all addicted to the game.

The problem with you all is that you are addicted to the game. After the 2004 lock-out, you rewarded the owners and PA with 3.3 Billion smackeroos. As an appreciation, they slapped you with another work stoppage a few years after.

Now' there is outrage. Another season is lost. Everyone says that they will walk away from the game. A few say they will get even.

I'm sure where you're getting 16 from either since I didn't mention 16 anything.

He may be fighting for his livelihood, or he may just as likely be secured in his position by the same small number of owners he needs to back him to reject offers. Who knows. Either way, this whole clusterfu...makinglove is bad for fans, bad for hockey, and ultimately bad for the NHL!

From the article theminister posted above:

That means as long as Bettman has 7 owners with him, he can do whatever he wants and the other owners can't do anything about it. So, technically, that means it currently only takes 7 votes to pass something that Bettman recommends.

Guess that jock wasn't a dumb as you thought.

Yes, it takes that number for official approval. However, yet again, if 7 owners (if Phoenix is excluded) can block any proposal they want those 7 have the controlling vote on which proposal is accepted as they will simply veto any they don't want until they finally get the one they do want. It's really not that complicated.

Do you play sports?

I agree with White, Bettman is an idiot, if he really cared about the league he would do everything he can to try and end this lockout and improve the league but he seems to be doing the opposite, especially with his no meeting for 2 weeks, even if it was just a tactic. Sure some owners have a part in this, but some owners already said publicly we should be playing hockey and I'm sure there are more, but they don't want to get fined.

Clearly he doesn't care about the fans since he gets booed everywhere he goes, hopefully it's not his way of getting back at everyone.

Not saying that the players are much better though in these negotiations.

I don't know if the league can be any more of a joke, it's getting ridiculous now.

I mean... they had lunch to discuss if they wanted to have a meeting.... like wtf. This is all about egos.

The NHL and NHLPA intend on resuming bargaining Monday night in New York City.

The dynamic of those attending hasn't been confirmed, although it's expected both players and owners will be involved in what is described as a "smaller group" meeting.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly tells TSN the league's position has been somewhat misrepresented and while the NHL has certain perameters it isn't willing to budge on, he suggests there is flexibility as the negotiation remains in a critical stage.

"Nothing was ever said or even suggested that we needed the details of our proposal "down to the comma. We told them the issues we wanted addressed in the system. We told them we have provided a proposal that we think will effectively address those issues. But we told them that we are open to discussing other ways to address those issues if they want to propose any. In fact, we used the exact example of "if we need 5 and we have proposed 3+2 to get there, that we are happy to listening to and considering 4+1 instead. I'm not sure why they chose to characterize the way they did. As I've said before. I can only control what we say."

Sometimes it comes down to timing. PHX is a bigger USA media market than Seattle. I agree that Seattle makes more sense but that doesn't mean that at the time they put a team in PHX that there was a potential ownership group interested in Seattle. Now there is and I would be estatic if they moved PHX there.

The NHL committment to major USA media markets has been long term. Their business model is predicated on eventual success. The NBC contract was a break through but not anywhere near the size of what the big three get (MLB, NFL, NBA). Hockey fans in Canada are to a degree hung up on the 'gate' driven revenue model. It works in Canada because the fans are prepared to fork out big bucks to go. PHX is a long way from $250 tickets.

The glimmer of hope that PHX can take away from last year was that in playoffs their attendance was pretty decent. A talented team might actually build on that. However, to a certain extent, as long as the PHX's in the NHL are not losing big time money it makes no difference. American viewers do not know Canadian cities other than TO and maybe Van from the Olympics. Potential American fans of the NHL might be attracted by transferring allegiances from other sports like baseball, basketball or football. ie PHX Cardinals vs the CHI Bears.

Reverting the NHL business plan to a 'gate' driven revenue model will not create the dollars needed to support the cost structure they are experienceing. Media revenue expands beyond the arena limits of 20,000 fans to millions of fans.

Archived