The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

All these guys signing extensions - Hartnell, Simmonds, Hall - that tells me somebody thinks that the next CBA will include restrictions on contract term, and that a deal might not be so far off as we think. Snider presumably is a guy who knows what's going on with the CBA, he's not just gonna pony up that money for no good kind of reason.

Likely lockout retirees:

With a lockout looming, the careers of veteran NHLers nearing the end of their playing days could be ended abruptly and without fanfare, just as many veterans didn’t play another game after 2004-05. Which players could be at risk this time around? That’s the focus of this week’s THN.com Top 10.

10. Evgeni Nabokov, Islanders.

The 37-year-old Nabokov is on a one-year contract and could return to the Kontinental League in his Russian homeland if the NHL experiences a lengthy lockout. And considering he’s averaged just 32 games played the past two seasons, it’s unlikely any NHL team will see him as a viable option for 2013-14.

9. Saku Koivu, Ducks.

The former Canadiens captain will turn 38 in November and his points dropped from 52 in 2009-10 to 45 in 2010-11 and 38 last season. Like all players on this list, he’s an unrestricted free agent after this season and it wouldn’t surprise anyone to see him hang up his skates after his 17th NHL season.

8. Milan Hejduk, Avalanche.

The Avs’ captain and last remaining member of their 2001 Stanley Cup winning team said in March he was considering retirement, but signed a one-year, $2-million contract this summer. He’s also a depreciating asset, having scored just 14 goals last season – his lowest total since he posted the same number in his rookie season of 1998-99.

7. Jamie Langenbrunner, Blues.

Langenbrunner just turned 37 and the miles he’s logged during his solid career are starting to show. Although he played 70 games in each of the past two seasons, the Blues’ right winger failed to reach the 10-goal plateau both times and wouldn’t have a whole lot to offer after a significant period of time on the sidelines.

6. Jason Arnott, UFA.

Arnott is Langenbrunner’s age, but unlike his Blues teammate, the 18-year veteran isn’t signed. He was decent (17 goals and 34 points in 72 games) last season, but has only played more than 68 games in three of the past six.

5. Nikolai Khabibulin, Oilers.

The Stanley Cup winner is entering the last season of a four-year contract with Edmonton and will turn 40 in January. He’s a candidate to return to the KHL in his native Russia, but also has made enough money to retire if there’s no NHL job awaiting him.

4. Sergei Gonchar, Senators.

In his prime, Gonchar was one of the best point-producing defensemen, but his game has fallen off noticeably since he signed a three-year contract with Ottawa in 2010. He’ll be 39 by the time 2012-13 ends and may choose to hang up his skates after 19 seasons in hockey’s top league.

3. Daniel Alfredsson, Senators.

There was much speculation the universally respected Sens captain wouldn’t return for 2012-13, but he announced in July he intended on playing. However, all bets are off for anything beyond that.

2. Teemu Selanne, Ducks.

With the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom, Selanne and Alfredsson now share the title of the NHL’s classiest senior statesman. The 42-year-old Finnish legend signed a one-year contract extension and almost certainly won’t be around for 2013-14.

1. Jaromir Jagr, Stars.

A no-brainer first-ballot Hall of Famer, Jagr showed in Philly that he still can play NHL hockey and signed a one-year contract with Dallas in July. But he’ll be 41 in February and has a number of other playing options if the NHL isn’t operating, including the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream and play in his native Czech Republic.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48284-Likely-lockout-retirees.html

A Lockout Is Pretty Much Guaranteed:

Former Ranger and current analyst Aaron Ward was on TSN earlier today and made these remarks about the negotiations between the players and owners.

“we are nowhere and can’t even find a starting point between both sides. They haven’t even started negotiating because they don’t know where to start. To me September 15th is coming quick and I have a feeling we are going to bypass it and are looking at a lockout pretty much guaranteed.”

Ward does note that the two sides agree that revenue sharing is a big stumbling block but each side is coming at it from a different angle.

Stu Hackel has a lot on revenue sharing at SI.

http://snyrangersblog.com/2012-13-lockout/read-a-lockout-is-pretty-much-guaranteed/

Ok so I have a question.

Assuming there is a lock out for next season, and the league opens back up in 2013-2014. What happens to players whose contract is set to expire at the end of 2012-2013 season?

Do they become UFAs?

In that case we would lose a whole lot of player, including Edler and Burrows.

Ok so I have a question.

Assuming there is a lock out for next season, and the league opens back up in 2013-2014. What happens to players whose contract is set to expire at the end of 2012-2013 season?

Do they become UFAs?

In that case we would lose a whole lot of player, including Edler and Burrows.

Nail Yakupov’s agent, Igor Larionov, said that if there is a lockout, Yakupov will head to the KHL instead of returning to Sarnia of the OHL.

Nail Yakupov's agent Igor Larionov says that, in case of a lockout, Yakupov will play for KHL Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, not return to Sarnia.

— Szymon Szemberg (@Sz1909_Szemberg)

And certainly not Fehr or the players. You are very right there, nobody cares about the fans because they don't matter. Both sides know that the fans will be back whenever hockey is back, so why worry? It'a a power struggle between the players and the owners and the fans will get NHL hockey when they have settled. And you will be right there watching every game.

I'm not going to be another dumbass hockey fan, if there's a lockout. I'm going to be an NFL convert.

An NHL lockout will drive the salaries down far, because NO one in the US is gonna care, and Canadians are going to start to despise being taken for granted. Salaries will not be sustainable in a league no one watches.

These players have to realize all the money the owners put up. They just don't get it, all they see is, "Gee, I'm the one playing, the owner is just sitting on his money bags!"

Lockout = death of the NHL

I'm not going to be another dumbass hockey fan, if there's a lockout. I'm going to be an NFL convert.

An NHL lockout will drive the salaries down far, because NO one in the US is gonna care, and Canadians are going to start to despise being taken for granted. Salaries will not be sustainable in a league no one watches.

These players have to realize all the money the owners put up. They just don't get it, all they see is, "Gee, I'm the one playing, the owner is just sitting on his money bags!"

Lockout = death of the NHL

Archived