The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I doubt that the NHLPA would decertify....because of all the effort that has gone on so far and the players have lost games and money trying to stick it the Mighty owners. It would be a huge fail and slap in the face of those who believed in the NHLPA and stuck with them. But in the end to have it all go to decertification....most will see it as a waste when it comes down to everyman for himself...lol

Chants begin to moan out of the NHLPA crowds: cave cavE caVE cAVE CAVE CAVE~!

If you're interested, I made a post about what some other industries pay for salaries on page 89 of this thread:

/topic/336493-official-cba-negotiations-and-lockout-thread/page__st__2640#entry10980313">http://forum.canucks...0#entry10980313

And of course, that's just for employees and wouldn't include paying for things like the right to use a person's name or image to generate revenue.

It's true that most businesses do not spend 50% of their revenues on salaries. However, sports are unique.

Average workers in an average industry are not comparable to professional athletes who among the best in the world. They are the employees AND the product. And their contract involves far more than regular, 9-to-5 employment conditions.

At the time of the 2004 lockout, player salaries were around 73% of revenue. Owners have been trying to drive that down as much as possible. Getting it down to 57% was a coup for them. But, like most large corporations, it's not about what is fair - it is about getting every last dollar you can. And if you cut the BS, that is all this lockout is about.

Not in my experience. If it is a capital intensive (needing lots of machinery, plant space, etc) it can be under 30% easily. Retail would be even less (I just peeked at Rona 2011 financial statements $486M personnel expenses on over $4B in revenue.)

Since we are talking a service industry with NHL I thought I would compare it to the company I do the accounting for now which is mostly service based. The total personnel expense (including benefits) is around 35% of revenues.

It is my personnel opinion that all of that is irrelevant to the NHL situation, however. It is between the league and the PA as to where that should land.

I may be reading this wrong or perhaps I wasn't clear but I'm talking about how much an employer would pay on average for their employees salaries (and everything that comes along with that) as well as how much they spend on their product (and all that comes along with that) 35 percent seems really low to me.

About freaking time.....

I'm guessing that both sides realise that their arguments in Federal court might be invalidated if they do not resort to a mediator first.

I could very well be mistaken but I understood that it is a requirement that the mediation process be attempted first. If either side refused to participate in mediation then their legal arguments would be negatively impacted. For example, if the NHL refuses a mediator then they will be more easily viewed as being guilty of anti-trust violations. If the NHLPA did not participate then their decertification would be viewed more as a strong arm tactic.

Any word on who it is?

Edit: Nice work, playboi.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10993728">snapback.pngEmployeeoftheMonth, on 26 November 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I may be reading this wrong or perhaps I wasn't clear but I'm talking about how much an employer would pay on average for their employees salaries (and everything that comes along with that) as well as how much they spend on their product (and all that comes along with that) 35 percent seems really low to me.

the answer is... (insert drumroll).... as little as they can.

welcome to the problem of global capitalism. it is always seeming easier to pay less. at least while the developing world is still developing.

and that mentality gets transferred home, so that the top 1% have 99% of the wealth, and the trend keeps getting worse.

to really distribute wealth, we have a few choices:

* get trade agreements that account for the differences between developing and developed countries (fat chance! there go profits!)

* wait until the developing countries aren't developing countries anymore (see you in a dozen lifetimes or so...)

* wait until energy is virtually free, and then the economy changes (see you in 2 dozen lifetimes or so... solar or cold fusion anyone?)

so. owners are global capitalists. they are used to making insane profits. I am on their side if they could reduce player salary, reduce their profits, and reduce the expense of us going to games live. put a cap on that! the fans should be part of the collective process .... and good luck with that, meaning this whole thing is pointless really.

Archived