The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Those quotes have nothing to do with the conversation, dude.

One person can not make a difference. There is no way. Go ahead and try. It takes an awful lot of situational luck (or misfortune), and help from others to make any sort of an impact. Trying to make a difference does not result in a difference made.

One person making a difference also has nothing to do with even your own point.

You were arguing that a 51% majority is not fair to each individual. Well obviously. But, it is fair to more people than not. Welcome to democracy.

On players playing in different leagues - Why should you have a beef with it when the NHL, NHLPA, and the overseas leagues have no beef? That is like a checker complaining that queens can move in all directions, whereas rooks can only move forward, backward, and side to side. What right do you have to take offense to it? Who are you sticking up for? I am not for it, against it, beside it, or on top of it. I don't care. I have no right to care. All parties that are actually involved are OK with it, and there are a lot of guys that want to stay game ready, so let them go.

And really man, keep the Jesus crap to yourself, or the god thread. A Ghandi quote is one thing, but referencing a book written generations after the death of a man that was supposedly magic is anecdotal at best. Great story though. Mel Gibson should make a movie about it with lots of blood and over acting.

I think something went wrong with your math.

"Operating income" is what businesses have after paying their costs, including salaries. That means that's what's left after the players were paid.

The Forbes numbers for last season are based on the teams having paid out 57% of HRR to players. Under the new agreement teams will (likely) be paying out only 50% of HRR. So, using last season's HRR number, teams paid out $1.883 Billion to players for their 57% share, but at 50% their share would have only been $1.734 Billion. That's a difference of $149 M and that amount of "savings" will only grow as HRR grows each season.

The shortened, lockout damaged season won't make it back to last season's revenue, of course, but even the latest projections from the NHL put revenue growth at 2.5% for the first full season back and at 5% for every season after that. That means, using the NHL's own projections, even with the PA's higher proposed "make whole" payments (to be paid out, with optional 1-year deferment, in the following amounts: 2012/13: $ 182M, 2013/14: $ 128M, 2014/15: $ 72M, 2015/16: $ 11M), teams will be paying out less than they did last year in all but likely the first year, and that's only because of the lockout.

From the media it would appear that the players are going to stand strong this time around but of course there will not be without some who are grumbling or becoming impatient. Someone provided a good commentary earlier on the differing circumstances that may influence the player's positions. I suspect because they've seen this before and the NHL is not in dire circumstances warranting the players to give up even more, there is a less likelihood of giving in again or necessity to give in nor would it be in their best interest to set the precedent of giving in. Instead they need to set the stage to put an end to this lockout tactic. If the NHL is unwilling to negotiate, decertification is the only way to move forward, and this system may actually work out better for some teams. The stronger teams will have more leeway to build their team.

Archived