The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Great interview with Ilya Kovalchuk talking about a possible lockout:

New Jersey Devils star Ilya Kovalchuk holds out hope that there will not be a work stoppage that delays the 2012-13 NHL season — but time is running short.

"Right now the player union and club owners have absolutely different views of the future. If we are told the decision must be made tomorrow, then there will certainly be a lockout," Kovalchuk told Sovietsky Sport. "But the CBA expires only on Sept. 15. And I don't know what's going to happen in three weeks."

Kovalchuk added that he already has a team in mind where he will play if there's a lockout. Something tells me it will be Lokomotiv. Kovalchuk will fly to Moscow this Friday from his Miami home and will play in a charity game this coming Sunday in Kazan to benefit the families of the Lokomotiv tragedy.

SovSport's Pavel Lysenkov spoke with Kovalchuk about the NHL's offer to the player, the overall CBA negotiations and the impact of contracts such as his on the next CBA.

Q. NHL's offer is very aggressive. Ilya Bryzgalov called it "impudence" in a recent interview. What is your reaction?

KOVALCHUK: "I cannot say it's a shock. But it is difficult to agree with those who are fighting with the NHLPA. Eight years ago, owners of NHL teams got everything they wanted during the last lockout. They feel comfortable and think they will win again. But there's a big difference between 2004 and 2012. Right now a lot of guys have long-term contracts. These are leading players, faces of the League. Look at how dynamic the negotiations with the NHL are. Players are a lot more united than before. And it means that the position of the NHLPA is stronger, and the negotiations will be tougher for the owners."

You signed a contract with the New Jersey Devils until 2025. The League wants to make all contracts to be no longer than five years. Will it affect you?

"It is understood that the existing contracts cannot be trimmed. But the NHL says that players circumvent the cap, sign deceitful deals where they will make very little towards the end of the contract. The League wants to protect itself from it. On the other hand, the owner himself is offering such deals. A player doesn't put a gun to the owner's head. And you have to think when you're signing a big contract. Hockey players lost a lot already after the 2004 lockout. Something remained, but now they want to take away even that. I think the League won't be successful at that."

It is surprising that the NHL had record revenues last season — around $3 billion. And now the Commissioner Gary Bettman says that the League is in a big crisis, and strict measures are needed. How are these two things related?

"Owners are simply showing only whatever they made from hockey. But each of the owners has the arena where concerts are held. There's also parking, food is sold — and all of that revenue is concealed. Income is being lowered and owners complain that they cannot make any money. Although, these are their problems. A lot of teams attract fans, they are always sold out. There are 6-8 teams with bad attendance and subpar marketing. But the problem is not with players, but with the management."

Not long ago Alex Ovechkin flew to the NHLPA meeting in Toronto…

"The same was held in Moscow. Five or six Russian players got together. Head of the NHLPA Donald Fehr with his assistants flew in from America for that. They described the situation, provided details. Fehr is great when it comes to those things. He travels a lot, tried to keep all the guys informed.

"It's a big difference comparing to the last lockout when Bob Goodenow was the head of the NHLPA, there was a lack of information. Right now, a phone app was developed for all the players. You download this app from iTunes and you can see all the news, video, newspaper articles. No problems!"

If the NHL is to offer concessions, what will satisfy players?

"The last years show that the League is blossoming. A great contract was entered to with NBC. Hockey is being promoted. The value of the NHL rose. Everyone understands that owners are making serious money. It's not for nothing that some players signed $100 million contracts this summer. And not once, but five or six times. The League is on the right track. The problem, the way I see it, is in the fact that owners of rich teams don't want to share with the poor. But why should players be the ones to suffer? As soon as the NHL sorts that out the season will start."

Will the lockout start on Sept. 15?

"It looks like there will be no more negotiations. Owners have already stated that they won't move away from their position. The lockout may be called even earlier than Sept. 15.

"But right now all the guys are already ready for the League to have a work stoppage. The NHLPA is arranging for insurance coverage for everyone, getting ready to make payments. Fehr told everyone in advance, and a lot of players will go to Europe. Maybe to Russia."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/chatting-ilya-kovalchuk-nhl-lockout-players-going-russia-205054364--nhl.html

Both sides are greedy but the way I see it is the owners take all the financial risk and the players whine about not making an extra million. While the middle class can barely afford to watch these spoiled millionaires play hockey. If there is another lock out I will definitely consider never buying a jersey or going to a game again. Of course I love my Canucks so I'd still follow them.

50/50 revenue sharing (net profit) seems fair but no roll back wages...that's a bold request and would not expect any party to agree to that. That will not solve the leagues financial/business woes nor should the players be the ones to pay for it. The league needs to take responsibility for their business decisions and correct it accordingly based on their own merit and not rely on 3rd party hand outs. Alternatively 33/33/33 with the last third a contingency fund...1% nonprofit/hockey development. Long term contracts should be better regulated so as to not be manipulated to circumvent the cap. Nothing wrong with top heavy contracts to make the contract more friendly near the end of it's term but no 15 year terms with the last five years at $1M per year knowing the player will not likely carry the contract to term. Such a contract is not made in good faith but merely to manipulate the cap. Alternatively teams need to be better regulated...lease/contracts agreements reviewed, financials reviewed...standards need to be met or the team relocates or folds. Honestly, the league needs to downsize and more appropriately target locations with a fighting chance...location,location,location. The league can be more proactive in trying to sustain a more financially healthy/balanced league. Election of league execs should be a majority vote. The idea being a majority vote if not 80% ensuring that the majority agrees with and is happy with who and how the league is run and will be less susceptible to tampering.

The meeting was only 90 minutes today... So they broke off the meetings yesterday and only 90 min today they sure seem gung-ho about getting a deal done.

By any chance did anyone dial in to Pratts show on CKNW last night? Apparently NBC has a lockout clause in the new T.V contract so if there was a lockout that the owners would still receive their annual 7 mil in the deal and the lost season would be made up a year later on the contract. Pratt also said that for the Winter classic they can pay the university of Michigan $100,000 for calling off the game yet they are spending 3 mil in the production of the event. Dave also said that Gary Bettman got a $42 million 5 year contract extension last year for a reason, to get the owners more of what they want.

Dead in the water idea, never going to happen. The fans will be watching news everyday of the lock-out, follow every comment and be back watching and busying the day hockey starts again. True fans have no life, the owners know that!

NHL players in holding pattern as CBA talks grind on:

Henrik and Daniel Sedin would have a sensible playing option with Modo of the Swedish Elite League in lieu of a possible NHL lockout.

But a labour stoppage would have to wipe out the entire season for the Vancouver Canucks forwards to consider playing in their hometown of Ornskoldsvik for Modo manager Markus Naslund.

In response to the ongoing impasse in the effort by NHL owners and the NHLPA to reach a new collective bargaining agreement before the current one expires Sept. 15, the Swedish league will not allow rental players and has mandated that contracts must be signed for at least one year.

That would work for the Sedins and others if the NHL season was lost, but there is a Jan. 31 European transfer date and various caps on imports depending on the European league, anywhere from two to seven players per team and just two per entry in the 12-team SEL.

Most importantly for players considering the SEL, without an out-clause to return as soon as there’s a settlement — especially if the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 is the pressure point to reach a new CBA — remaining overseas isn’t viable because they’re under contract to respective NHL teams.

During the last lockout, which cancelled the 2004-05 season, the Sedins played for Modo while Henrik Zetterberg, Mike Knuble, Shawn Horcoff and Brendan Morrison were among more than 70 NHL players who skated in the Swedish league.

But the majority of those contracts had out-clauses so players could return to the NHL if a settlement was reached. Players also met with initial resentment for taking jobs from established players.

Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider doesn’t have a lengthy lockout strategy.

“It’s not something I’m ready to think about yet,” he said Thursday.

“I’m going to train and be ready for training camp and then figure it out. You develop by having game action because you can only practise so much and it’s the nature of the position to keep improving your game.

“If I can work out with high-level players and make every session challenging, I’ll be in the place I need to be. But if there’s a stoppage, everybody’s going to be playing catch-up and getting

adjusted.”

Meanwhile, all it took were statements Thursday to set the foundation for a lengthy NHL lockout.

As soon as commissioner Gary Bettman emerged from the 90-minute collective bargaining agreement session with the NHLPA in Toronto, he fired a salvo.

“We believe that we are paying more than we should be — it’s as simple as that,” said Bettman.

“The union is looking for a system that has more flexibility and we’re looking for a system that has less flexibility and is more akin to what was envisioned eight years ago.”

As expected, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr responded methodically in hopes of avoiding a Sept. 15 lockout when the current agreement expires.

“Everyone understands that employers always would like to pay less,” said Fehr.

“The players’ offer is to give up some revenue from anticipated growth over the next three years [increases capped at two, four and six per cent annually] they believe will total $465 million in exchange for increased revenue sharing.

“I have always believed there is enough time and I still think there’s enough time.”

As much as Bettman is convinced that a loyal fan base would return to the game if there’s a lockout, others are already bracing for the worst.

The Calgary Flames have confirmed that full-time employees and contract workers have been told there’s a contingency plan in place and that salary cuts or unpaid sabbaticals are possible as soon as Sept. 16.

However, the Flames also own the WHL Hitmen, Calgary Stampeders and the National Lacrosse League Calgary Roughnecks, and could shift staff assignments.

Regardless of possible wide-ranging effects, the short CBA session Thursday didn’t surprise Schneider, who holds a finance degree from Boston College.

“Sometimes when you’re at an impasse, you’re going to have short sessions,” said Schneider, who is a member of the NHLPA’s 31-player negotiating committee.

“As we get closer to the deadline, hopefully both sides will get closer to the middle and try and get something done.

“It’s critical that we start on time from a fans’ perspective and when you get to January, that’s almost half the year and the Winter Classic is a hallmark event. I’d like to think we’d be back playing by that time.

“But we’re not sure what’s motivating everyone at this point.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/players+holding+pattern+talks+grind/7137075/story.html

Both sides are greedy but the way I see it is the owners take all the financial risk and the players whine about not making an extra million. While the middle class can barely afford to watch these spoiled millionaires play hockey. If there is another lock out I will definitely consider never buying a jersey or going to a game again. Of course I love my Canucks so I'd still follow them.

Sorry, but this is a really ignorant point of view.

The owners have almost ZERO financial risk. Owning a sports team in North America is an incredibly good investment. It's true that many teams operate at either an annual loss or a very small profit, but those numbers are more or less irrelevant. The real prize is the re-sale value. if you own a sports team for 10-15 years, you are virtually guaranteed to sell it for many, many times what you paid for it. The fact that some owners get into the business without the bankroll to suffer some annual losses is beside the point. Also, for most owners, their NHL team is a small part of their business interests. If the team makes a small loss, it doesn't hurt them much at all.

Meanwhile, the players take on HUGE risks and burdens. First, they have to start training from a very young age. The youth hockey system in Canada does not give players a good non-hockey education. They lose the opportunity to develop skills that would help them outside the game. And while you stereotype all players as "millionaires" the reality is that players like Aaron Volpatti are much more common the players like Ryan Kesler. And of course there are the huge and very real health risks involved with being a hockey player. Ask Rick Rypien or Derek Boogard if there are no risks associated with being an NHL player.

The average NHL player is someone without a proper high school or college education, who will play for 2-3 years at around the minimum salary. Then they'll be out of the league. If they're lucky, they'll have their health, but there's a good chance they'll have a chronic injury of some sort.

It's just wrong to say that the owners bear more risks than the players.

And if you still believe that high ticket prices are caused by high salaries, you are deluding yourself. Ticket prices are governed by supply and demand. Canucks tickets are extremely expensive because there is a HUGE demand for them. Why do you think prices in Phoenix are so much cheaper? It's not because they pay less salary. It's because nobody wants to see them. Player salaries have literally zero affect on ticket prices.

Detroit’s Cleary says odds of work stoppage are “50-50″:

With just weeks until the expiration of the current CBA, Dan Cleary delivered a harsh reality on the possibility of a lockout.

“I would say it’s 50-50,” Cleary told the Detroit News. “We’ll see. I was optimistic when we gave them our offer, but the league didn’t respond to it [favorably].

“The game has never been better. The parity is obvious, there are probably 18 teams who have a chance to win [the Stanley Cup]. Revenues are growing. Everyone would like to see the season started on time.”

Cleary, 33, isn’t on the NHLPA’s Negotiating Committee — Henrik Zetterberg is Detroit’s rep — but he has been active in meetings and labor talks thus far.

“It’s important to have veteran presence there, and to represent Detroit,” he told USA Today. “It’s not too far to go, either; the meetings are usually either in New York or Toronto.”

If anybody knows the harsh realities of what a lockout can cause, it’s Cleary. The 13th overall pick in 1997, Cleary struggled to find his niche in Chicago, Edmonton and Phoenix and after the 2004-05 season was lost, he found himself without a team, forced to make the Wings on a training camp tryout before signing a one-year deal.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/24/detroits-cleary-says-odds-of-work-stoppage-are-50-50/

Detroit’s Cleary says odds of work stoppage are “50-50″:

With just weeks until the expiration of the current CBA, Dan Cleary delivered a harsh reality on the possibility of a lockout.

“I would say it’s 50-50,” Cleary told the Detroit News. “We’ll see. I was optimistic when we gave them our offer, but the league didn’t respond to it [favorably].

“The game has never been better. The parity is obvious, there are probably 18 teams who have a chance to win [the Stanley Cup]. Revenues are growing. Everyone would like to see the season started on time.”

Cleary, 33, isn’t on the NHLPA’s Negotiating Committee — Henrik Zetterberg is Detroit’s rep — but he has been active in meetings and labor talks thus far.

“It’s important to have veteran presence there, and to represent Detroit,” he told USA Today. “It’s not too far to go, either; the meetings are usually either in New York or Toronto.”

If anybody knows the harsh realities of what a lockout can cause, it’s Cleary. The 13th overall pick in 1997, Cleary struggled to find his niche in Chicago, Edmonton and Phoenix and after the 2004-05 season was lost, he found himself without a team, forced to make the Wings on a training camp tryout before signing a one-year deal.

http://prohockeytalk...page-are-50-50/

Archived