The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Fair enough.

Back to the topic of which players might be attending, I was just reading a National Post article that quoted a player agent suggesting they send players from those specific teams, so that the players are talking directly to their respective owners.

“Really what it comes down to is that while Bettman and Fehr are working on behalf of both sides, it’s the owners and the players that the dispute is between,” player agent Kevin Epp said. “If you get in a room with an owner and listen to what his perspective is, and you get to tell an owner what your issues are, then I think that makes sense.”

The key, added Epp, is making sure the right people are present.

“You can’t have players who are on the periphery, who just get all the hearsay and don’t know all the issues or dynamics and haven’t been in on any of the meetings,” Epp said. “I think you’d want players to speak to the owners they are employed by. You want a guy like [Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco] Aquilini talking to Cory Schneider or [Montreal Canadiens owner] Geoff Molson talking to Josh Gorges.”

That's an interesting idea, but I could see it going the other way too. Talking to their bosses directly might make them feel more intimidated or threatened into a deal for fear or repercussions once they return.

I still think the players should have more than 6 anyway. Since there are so many more players than there are owners, each side having only 6 seems players would be disproportionately represented.

Fair enough.

Back to the topic of which players might be attending, I was just reading a National Post article that quoted a player agent suggesting they send players from those specific teams, so that the players are talking directly to their respective owners.

So I was wondering who that might be. Crosby seems obvious from Pittsburgh, and most likely Hainsey from Winnipeg. I don't know who the other four teams have had representing them in the negotiations.

That's an interesting idea, but I could see it going the other way too. Talking to their bosses directly might make them feel more intimidated or threatened into a deal for fear or repercussions once they return.

I still think the players should have more than 6 anyway. Since there are so many more players than there are owners, each side having only 6 seems players would be disproportionately represented.

Bookie, while I agree it would make some sense to send players from teams these 6 owners will be representing I'm not sure it would be right to send players just because they are from one of those teams and because they are good hockey players.

Crosby has a high school education, I'm not sure he's qualified to talk business with billionaires. He won't be able to comprehend simple charts and graphs etc.

IMO it would be better to send players who have post secondary education. There are some who went the college hockey route and earned degrees. Bieksa and Schneider are examples. At least these players will be able to comprehend what the owners are saying.

What's the point of meeting if one side can't even understand what the other is saying.

I remember after the last lockout some players were angry when they saw escrow deductions from their checks. They didn't know what it was and couldn't comprehend the concept of escrow.

Just looked at Bookie's list of player reps. Interesting to note Brendan Morrison is on the list. He has an economics degree if I remember correctly.

Edit, another interesting tidbit. Craig Adams went to Harvard and he's married to the daughter of for former Mass Gov. and US Ambassador to Canada. He's done well in life.

Gary Bettman promised the Owners a huge win. His mouth wrote a check that his ass cant cash. He underestimated Don Fehr and now he's stuck.

Saying that, there is zero chance this season will be cancelled without one more offer from the NHL. The PA knows it and thats what they're waiting for.

If the NHL were to just cancel the season in a month w/o one more significant offer, they would be beyond insane.

Bettman does not want to be in the history books for this.

I doubt that the owners want a lockout.......hopefully this player-owner meeting can be a turning point and closer to an agreement?

can they just agree on some agreement and continue to work throughout the season to improve? or is it required to have it done beforehand.....will the salary cap change or not that the real question

Was reading up a bit on some of these owners. Ron Burkle sounds like quite the character. His nickname is the Billionaire Party Boy, he's close friends with Bill Clinton and Mick Jagger, and most interestingly, once received a Los Angeles award for labor negotiations when the Union at his chain of grocery stores went on strike.

I would've liked to see Dolan in as well, but by all reports he and Bettman haven't even spoken since their legal battle in 2007, so it didn't seem likely. There are rumours that he doesn't even attend Board of Governors meetings. Seems like he has decided to hang back as a silent partner in the NHL until a new commissioner comes in.

Happy that Burkle and Chipman will be there, they've both come across as respectable owners from everything I've read about them. I don't know much about Vinik or Tanenbaum, anyone else?

DeNiro - I think it was Union's request to have legal representation on either side, hence Daly. I assume they'll be sending Steve Fehr.

Archived