The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

The point I was trying to make was that the PA has to hope that there is a faction within ownership who will break ranks and force a settlement which benefits the players more than what is being proposed by the existing NHL negociating committee. I haven't read who is picking the owners or players who will be part of the meeting. My take of the 4 new owners to the table was that they were perceived as people more motivated to making a deal.

My take on this meeting is that the owners will put forward a 'nuanced' rationale for the position that the NHL negociating committee has pursued. Nuanced in the sense that it will not be as aggressive as perhaps they have heard from Bettman and Jacobs. The botttom line at the end of the meeting will be that the owners will leave no doubt that their group is united and that the players will have to move off their position in the negociations for there to be a resolution. Failure to do so will mean one more round of game cancellations and then a season ending call before X-Mass.

So no I do not see this meeting as a negociation. I see it as the NHL sending a message to the players directly and not thru the bogey man Mr. Bettman. How else could this be viewed? I highly doubt that this meeting has been requested by the NHL so that they can capitulate and sign a deal. Stranger things have happened I guess but I don't see it.

Meanwhile Team 1040 is going on and on about having a Christmas Day event for its fans. Marquee matchups, competing head to head with the NBA, desparately trying to win back fans with ticket discounts etc. Nothing has been signed, and it looks like nothing will be signed. These two sides are so far apart it isn't funny anymore. Yeah, I think the media is so desparate for the story, that they're getting far too ahead of themselves.

Here is the deal.

50/50 split. Keep the salary cap at 70 mil or 64 mil ...........(or lower it immediately to 50% and have 'make whole' provisions which is the same thing )....... until the contracts on upper spending teams deflates to 50% then carry on.

5 year contracts, fewer players exposed to waivers, UFA age up to 28.

I have been writing the same thing for 2 months on this thread.

Either do this or cancel the season. Just make up your bloody minds for chirsts sake.

Who knows if any of this is true, but...

“Let’s leave,” said Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, turning to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

“It’s up to you,” replied Daly.

At that point during the talks between the NHL and NHL Players’ Association on Wednesday, a day that began as a continuation of the momentum generated on Tuesday, both sides were at the precipice, and the 2012-13 season was in jeopardy. Earlier, Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller had angrily vented when the owners said they were disappointed with the players’ responses to an earlier offer and threatened to pull everything off the table.

But with Jacobs poised to abandon the talks, other owners spoke up, and then both sides dramatically backed away from the precipice. When talks ended close to 1 a.m. Thursday morning after more than eight hours of talks without NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and union executive director Don Fehr, it certainly seemed from the outside they were getting closer and closer to a deal to end this ugly lockout.

Not looking too good this morning.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Talk to some owners/NHL people, sense is this blows up today. Talk to other owners who say no way we lose season over these differences.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

And if I had to weigh Mr. Optimism vs. Captain Negative this morning, I'd favor the odds on Captain Negative

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph

Regardless of talks and "cautious optimism" the past two days, if NHL and PA are calling in mediators again then things have turned sour.

John Shannon@JSportsnet

Can confirm that NHLPA has indeed requested the return of Federal Mediators to the process.Needless to say,NHL has yet to agree.

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph

RT @JSportsnet: The vibe has gotten progressively worse since last night...one player source tells me "things are not going well right now".

Meanwhile Team 1040 is going on and on about having a Christmas Day event for its fans. Marquee matchups, competing head to head with the NBA, desparately trying to win back fans with ticket discounts etc. Nothing has been signed, and it looks like nothing will be signed. These two sides are so far apart it isn't funny anymore. Yeah, I think the media is so desparate for the story, that they're getting far too ahead of themselves.

Archived