The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I have no idea. Without Fehr in the room they seemed to make huge progress. Bring Fehr back in, therefore Bettman has to come back in, and we right back to the egomania again.

I think the owners offer should be voted on. Its fair. The 7 year deals for teams that own the players is more than the owners wanted. The make whole was WAY more than the league wanted.

I think the 10 year offer is so that we dont have to do this again for at least 10 years. I have no idea why the players wont take the deal and just go back to work.

I think at this point the owners and players have a deal. They have to THROW IN THE EGO TOWELS and just sign the deal.

A deal was within reach and the PA decided to change the goalposts, at the last minute. When you piss off straight-shooting moderates like Tanenbaum and Burkle, you're doing something pretty backhanded. They've been screwing around for months, stalling on proposals, and acting very, VERY unprofessional. Not to mention, they keep insulting the intelligence of the NHL/owners by submitting the same damn de-linked "50/50" split.

They shouldn't have had the massive shares in revenue that they did to begin with. The Fehr bothers blather on about how the players "lost the last CBA", even though they made off like gangbusters. The NHL is trying to right the ship.

A deal was within reach and the PA decided to change the goalposts, at the last minute. When you piss off straight-shooting moderates like Tanenbaum and Burkle, you're doing something pretty backhanded. They've been screwing around for months, stalling on proposals, and acting very, VERY unprofessional. Not to mention, they keep insulting the intelligence of the NHL/owners by submitting the same damn de-linked "50/50" split.

They shouldn't have had the massive shares in revenue that they did to begin with. The Fehr bothers blather on about how the players "lost the last CBA", even though they made off like gangbusters. The NHL is trying to right the ship.

agreed. PA took what the NHL gave over the past 2 days put it in his pocket and stuck out his hand for more. While NHL had made clear this was a package deal. These guys aren't billionaires for no reason, they won't take this lightly. Those on PA side can't blame this on Bettman or hard liners like Jacobs any more.

The PA has alienated the doves on the owners side. Tannenbaum made an very telling statement. He said if he wasn't in the room himself he'd have a hard time believing what happened and how things unfolded. Clearly pissed.

I am 100% with the owners here.

> Most NHL owners.....almost 2/3....dont even make money on hockey. (1/3 lose money) Yet they are being labelled as greedy. One star players salary is probably more profit than most clubs could hope to ever get.

> NHL players get everything first class from hotels, flights, meals, work space, equipment.

> Most of us on here would KILL to be able to play hockey for a career making a regular $50, 000 / yr salary. Heck, I would kill to be able to have enough to play hockey for fun let alone being paid millions to play.

> Yes there are troubled fanchises, but how many players would rather live in Tampa Bay or Florida and playe hockey than Quebec city.

I am 100% with the owners here.

> Most NHL owners.....almost 2/3....dont even make money on hockey. (1/3 lose money) Yet they are being labelled as greedy. One star players salary is probably more profit than most clubs could hope to ever get.

> NHL players get everything first class from hotels, flights, meals, work space, equipment.

> Most of us on here would KILL to be able to play hockey for a career making a regular $50, 000 / yr salary. Heck, I would kill to be able to have enough to play hockey for fun let alone being paid millions to play.

> Yes there are troubled fanchises, but how many players would rather live in Tampa Bay or Florida and playe hockey than Quebec city.

I never thought I'd say this but I more or less agree with you. I think the players missed a good chance at a reasonable CBA. Contract limit and variance is not worth the battle. A lengthier CBA means less conflict down the road, I can't see why anyone would want to do this again. And then the 393m down to 300m is about as good as it's going to get. The push back from the players is getting harder and harder to support.

Archived