The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

really though, how many players sign contracts over 5 years-7years? it really is just the superstars. the majority of the league is on short team 3-4 year deals.

I can understand the variance rule from the players side as a huge negative. currently players are earning huge up front bonuses and then investing that money making even more. with a 5% variance rule it would cost them money.

whereas the term length just reallocates money faster than the current system to players earning their keep. IE scott gomez wouldnt be on easy street right now that money would go to PK subban who has earned it.

agreed. PA took what the NHL gave over the past 2 days put it in his pocket and stuck out his hand for more. While NHL had made clear this was a package deal. These guys aren't billionaires for no reason, they won't take this lightly. Those on PA side can't blame this on Bettman or hard liners like Jacobs any more.

The PA has alienated the doves on the owners side. Tannenbaum made an very telling statement. He said if he wasn't in the room himself he'd have a hard time believing what happened and how things unfolded. Clearly pissed.

really though, how many players sign contracts over 5 years-7years? it really is just the superstars. the majority of the league is on short team 3-4 year deals.

I can understand the variance rule from the players side as a huge negative. currently players are earning huge up front bonuses and then investing that money making even more. with a 5% variance rule it would cost them money.

whereas the term length just reallocates money faster than the current system to players earning their keep. IE scott gomez wouldnt be on easy street right now that money would go to PK subban who has earned it.

I am 100% with the owners here.

> Most NHL owners.....almost 2/3....dont even make money on hockey. (1/3 lose money) Yet they are being labelled as greedy. One star players salary is probably more profit than most clubs could hope to ever get.

> NHL players get everything first class from hotels, flights, meals, work space, equipment.

> Most of us on here would KILL to be able to play hockey for a career making a regular $50, 000 / yr salary. Heck, I would kill to be able to have enough to play hockey for fun let alone being paid millions to play.

> Yes there are troubled fanchises, but how many players would rather live in Tampa Bay or Florida and playe hockey than Quebec city.

Well, that's certainly one point of view. Here's another: Owners said the 50/50 was the most important issue. Now that the PA has offered that they say taking away contractual rights, contract term limits, and 10-year CBA term length are their most important issues and that unless the union agrees to those AND the 50/50 they can't have a deal. And yet the get their undies in a bunch that the union actually wants something?! Talk about changing the goal posts!

And the PA has continued to move, to make offers and the NHL has just poopooed everything like tantruming toddlers who want the entire cookie jar instead of just a few cookies. And to confirm their negotiating age, they keep giving ultimatums and taking their offers off the table when their "you only get this when you give us everything we asked for" tactic doesn't work. I don't remember the PA taking an offer off the table, only being open to continuing to work towards a deal. It's the NHL that has their negotiators on wheels for quicker exits every time they face anything other than gratitude they aren't demanding yet more.

And the Fehrs had nothing to do with the players' share. You can blame the owners and Bettman for that if you find it so offensive. But remember, their share was significantly larger before that! Players gave up 24% off EVERY year of their signed contracts last time and now, despite record revenues and the owners' share increasing more than 180% (see one of my posts a few pages back for exact amount and source) owners are demanding new significant rollbacks, including on contracts they supposedly signed in "good faith" mere months ago and have yet to pay anything on, plus they want to take back all of the contractual rights players got in the last CBA, and are still demanding yet more! And what have they offered? Oh right. To demand slightly fewer concessions from players and to possibly pay a little more of the legal contracts they signed and the league approved.

The NHL isn't trying to right the ship. They're trying to force the players to swim beside it and hold it up.

Not sure if this is true or not but a poster on HF said that RDS says that PA might make a "surprise" presser in a few minutes.

Fight fight fight fight. Bettman vs Fehr Boxing match to end this. More ratings than the actual game.

I am on the NHL's side.

I wish the NHLPA will get a much worsen deal than the one offered to them this week...then the players will regret and Don Fehr will look like an idoit.

The players and Don Fehr don't seem to understand "who the bosses are". The bosses OWN the team and the players. If the players do not like the job offer, they can certainly quit and the bosses will hire someone else. Millions of hockey players looking to become a full time hockey player out there.

Please understand.....

I am on the NHL's side.

I wish the NHLPA will get a much worsen deal than the one offered to them this week...then the players will regret and Don Fehr will look like an idoit.

The players and Don Fehr don't seem to understand "who the bosses are". The bosses OWN the team and the players. If the players do not like the job offer, they can certainly quit and the bosses will hire someone else. Millions of hockey players looking to become a full time hockey player out there.

Please understand.....

Please understand.....

Archived