The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

absolutely ridiculous. isn't it funny how these negotiations (as well as the fiscal cliff negotiations) are stuck at some sort of lowest common denominator base-level idiocy? just like society as a whole and most people in it.

rough drawing of the stages of maturity

1. you are born, you are not aware of anyone else (up to 2?)

2. you mature and realize other people are in your universe (by 3 certainly...)

3. you realize other people can be used, so you do so (unconscious modelling right away, understood by 6-12?)

4. you finally understand that other people are truly equal to you, but you get used yourself by them

5. you protect yourself against all the other people that are using you. (all are equal but some are more equal than others)

6. you get cynical and start hating people in general

7. you realize there is no point hating people, so you accept them. you live in the moment.

Assuming you agree with that framework (and you probably don't, but change it as you see fit, I just made it up on the fly so am probably missing parts), where are the NHL and NHLPA negotiators? I'd say they are either in stage 3. I'd say stage 6 but I think that would be giving them too much credit!

You are 32 now. Thirty two. Perhaps its time to get off the computer and try to make a life for yourself outside here. This place was not designed for kids your age.

It was designed for teenagers who live with their parents, old folks who are retired, and guys like myself who are far away and is the only way to stay in contact with fellow canucks fans.

You should have been out for the last several years having fun with friends and building relationships instead of making internet friends on a hockey blog. i wish you would listen to me but you wont. And you will pay the price for it.

Perhaps you should try checking out people's posting histories before blowing your bile all over the place, eh? If (as you blow-hardedly say) the internet was not designed for anyone over 19 and 65, WTF are you doing here? And don't think any of us here are buying that 'far away' crap. You didn't get the message when you were banned before that your garbage isn't welcomed here by those of us who have been here over the lifetime of CDC? And after how many duplicate accounts? Perhaps not the top hamster spinning the wheel, are you? You out yourself every time you post and some of us have just been content to sit back and let you dig your own hole. Congratulations, you've done it.

Oh, and speaking of 'paying the price', you'd think you'd have clued into your own bankrupt wallet.

You go back and forth on these two for the rest of your life. Unless your level of serenity is consequently within the upper 1% of excellence.

The NHL and NHLPA have been going at this for 2 years. Ever since Fehr was hired. These are highly intelligent men 30 degrees above any of our pay grades. These guys are discussing issues few to none of us even can comprehend from a business point of view.

How many of us have even run a small business with employees? I have. And I cant even imagine running a multi billion dollar corporation with a thousand high profile athletes as employees. You need a team of lawyers to keep it all straight.

These guys would have made an agreement long before the last season ended if they WANTED to. They did not want to. They wanted to show the other side they were not going to be intimidated. When you do this, you set yourself up for a collision course that is very difficult to defuse once its set in motion.

The NHL owners are the ones who own the league. Not we as fans. Not the players. The owners. And many of you simply cannot accept this reality. This is part of growing up. Accepting things even if we dont want to believe them. This whole thread is riddled with kids blathering on from a point of view they want to believe, refusing to accept a whole pile of facts because they simply dont want to believe it.

The union has no CBA and therefore no power. The owners wont let them play without a CBA. They have had 2 years to negotiate a new CBA while playing under the old one. They did not get it done.

And in the end, the problem is that the players think they are entitled to the NHL and its profit . Without a CBA, they are entitled to NOTHING. In fact, they dont even work in the NHL anymore. Fehr is not a hockey guy. He has his own reputation to uphold so he is not going to sign a mediocre contract that they could have signed 2 years ago. He was brought in to intimidate the owners.

The owners would rather lose money than have an outsider tell them how to run their own business, and as a small business owner, I dont blame them.

You guys only see this thing through the prism of what you want to believe.

Ahh good thing, we aren't that far apart.

Breaking off talks or not co-operating (atleast in meeting with the other side) at this point would only show that someone has a different agenda rather than getting the game on the ice.

This shouldn't take long at all, let's park our egos and battle axes at the door and go in and hammer this out.

Here is the article in its entirety from NHL.com

The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association have agreed to get back to the bargaining table Wednesday and will be joined by federal mediators, according to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly.

The meeting will be held at an undisclosed location.

Daly said that the session Wednesday will involve federal mediators and will not be held in New York City.

The NHL and NHLPA met with mediators from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Services on Nov. 28 and 29, but those meetings broke off without any progress being made.

The NHL and NHLPA have been without a CBA since Sept. 16. Games have been cancelled through Dec. 30, along with the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and the 2013 NHL All-Star Game.

Archived