The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I don't want to derail the thread but what you are stating is inaccurate regarding the printing and value of money. Canada's money is better backed than almost every currency because of our reserves and our resource wealth and because, until the last 40 years, it was created by the Bank of Canada, a fully federal institution, unlike as happens in the USA and UK. It was only in 1974 that we decided to stop operating this way. I don't know how you can call it a myth. The bump in 1940 was because we were outproducing every country in the world per capita to support the Allied nations, and yes, we took a wartime loan. That was a unique situation, not repeated for the 20 years after the war, and not a situation we find ourselves in now. The only reason our debt has dropped in the last 10 years is because we have been slashing programs, and sold off our resources and industry in a one time cash grab, not because we have curtailed our monetary creation policies.

If you want to continue the discussion off thread I'd be happy to. Here's a short vid for those who aren't sure what we are talking about:

http://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=9yYEFuN2v08

Edit: a better clip, part 1.

My dad is literally talking about this daily (because he has nothing better to do) but it's a myth. It's entirely the musings of old, Canadian pseudo-teabaggers. What you're talking about though is the idea that a government can "Issue" money, that they can print money and just magically give it value. This has the same effect as just printing money (see Zimbabwe). Your government can print more money and say it's worth whatever it likes, no other nation is going to give a crap and will say "You have more dollars but no more wealth, we're going to need more dollars as payment" and your currency devalues.

Where issuing money differs is that it's supposed to be some workaround for having the banks lend money to them but that is based on a gross misunderstanding. Since you can't increase your country's wealth magically, you need to create a debt equal to the wealth you're creating so you have more cash to play with in the short term. It's called a loan and we all do it. While we would like to just pay the amount of our original loan and nothing else, no one is going to lend money for free. The government has many ways of accruing wealth by creating debt, like bonds, it's just that Banks are the best deal. The simple fact is this country spent way too much in the 70s when it had no idea how to deal with a recession. Then in the 80s and 90s we bought into Alan Greenspan's "spend now, ask questions later" bull. Also note that bump in the 40s. That's what happened when we tried to issue money and the rest of the world went "Nice try" so we took out a loan.

The good news is that we have the ability to pay it back. Note that sizable dip in the end of your graph. That's why I vote Harper regardless of my otherwise libertarian views. He runs a damn tight ship monetarily. You can thank him for that last recession we barely felt too.

One thing I would like to say is just because the NHL is gone doesn't mean hockey is gone. Of course I miss the NHL and I can't wait for it to be back. But the NHL isn't what hockey is all about. There can be a difference between a hockey fan and an NHL fan. Hockey is a sport, not a league. To people involved in the game in ways other than sitting in a chair and watching NHL games (parents, players, coaxes, AHL, junior etc.) hockey is still with us. Nothing is stopping people from stepping on the ice themselves, or buying tickets to a local game, or driving their kids to the rink.

Hockey can be different things to different people but to me it's not about the NHL, it's about stepping on the ice and actually playing. I enjoy the NHL and I can't wait for it to come back, but given the choice between taking a year off of watching the NHL and taking a year off of playing I know which I would take in a heartbeat. Obviously not everyone gets the opportunity to play hockey, but there are still many ways to enjoy the game unless you live in the desert with nothing but a TV and NHL centre ice.

You can boycott the NHL but still get the entertainment and enjoyment from watching the most skilled players in the world compete.

I plan to watch games on TV but NO PPV. I am making conscious decisions to avoid purchasing anything with the NHL trademark on it, there's lots of counterfeit and knock off items on ebay if you really need a Kassian jersey this year. Do you really need that Canucks flag for your car, or any of the other garbage knick knacks which only add to the NHL's bottom line?

I go to CDC way too much but I am making a conscious effort to not buy into the marketing and promotions. The NHL has let me down this year. I support them every year and this year I am far away from home and having NHL hockey would really help me out but they are a bunch of greedy, out of touch, money grubbers.

Think about where you are putting your dollars and in a small way you can actually affect the NHL, seeing as how the only language they understand is that of money. I would love to be able to walk away from hockey and not watch when it returns but that isn't going to happen so every little bit I don't spend, or spend somewhere else, is a partial boycott and if enough people start thinking that way, the NHL will notice.

Totally support this, if the union only serves to give the owners leverage (lockout, avoid collusion) then it's not in the players interest to have a union support them.

The rich teams want to benefit from a market-driven business model but don't want to pay the players (on the whole) what they would get on an open market. The union just gives the owners someone else to fight with when their real disagreements are with each other.

Either model is a league (with profitability, revenue, costs defined at the league level, with ample revenue sharing given the disparity of the teams) or it's a open market. Can't have it one way for players and another for owners.

I want to see the players go through with this....lol This will only empower the NHL owners because the courts will see this is only a tactic and nothing more... Only to reorganize the Union once all matters are settled. What Bettman stated at his PR what to look up DoI instead of Decertification...as Decercification will take much longer than a DoI...and the players do not want to take to much time on such an issue...another fail by the NHLPA to say this is only an "authorization" talk about empty threats lol

Cave now...please

Archived