The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I was reading the TSN web site and a lot of those morons would be glad to see the players crushed with the result in their little minds being cheaper ticket prices.

They haven't lived in the real world or lead shelttered lives.

How many times in the business world have you heard them say you have to pay top dollar for the best people , that's how politicians and corporate elite justify those outrageous salaries.

Why doesn't that apply to NHL players too.

I'm 100% behind the players on this one it hasn't been negotiations it's been concession only.

I guess some stool samples look up to NHL owners as heros.

I think the NHL has established their willingness to negociate in the back and forth that has gone on since September. The fact that the PA publicly stated they were close to a deal just 2 weeks ago works against the players in any court action. Just because the NHL refuses to make the last concessions to make a deal doesn't mean they weren't negociating.

Again the suggestion that this dispute is orchestrated by Bettman is very questionable. My impression is that ownership's position is well established thru the 30 teams. Their legal firm is one of the top labour dispute firms in North America. I would be very surprised if this scenario has not been fully studied and prepared for.

The big question is why the owners are prepared to blow up the NHL or at the very least cause such negative relations with players and fans. Are their numbers truly as bad as they suggest? Are these franchise owners as greedy and ignorant as many CDCer's suggest? If so then Canadian icons like Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky have to have their bios rewritten. Why haven't former players who have risen high in franchise management not stepped forward and condemned the owners?

It might be as simple as the profitable teams rejecting the concept that they should be supporting not so profitable teams. That could be viewed as devisive unless poorer teams have been convinced that their long term success on the ice and on the balance sheet depends on a favourable labour agreement. This obviously does not play well with the players most impacted, the top 20%. It also makes me wonder if the NHL has a rival union ready to go.

I was reading the TSN web site and a lot of those morons would be glad to see the players crushed with the result in their little minds being cheaper ticket prices.

They haven't lived in the real world or lead shelttered lives.

How many times in the business world have you heard them say you have to pay top dollar for the best people , that's how politicians and corporate elite justify those outrageous salaries.

Why doesn't that apply to NHL players too.

I'm 100% behind the players on this one it hasn't been negotiations it's been concession only.

I guess some stool samples look up to NHL owners as heros.

Old News;

I wouldn't dwell to long on what Art Griffith thinks. He has been out of it for so long that I doubt he really knows the inside story. He is guessing like all of us.

You seem to think there is possible lack of unity among ownership but that ignores the 'dove' walkout on the sessions last week. I find it hard to comprehend that a $3.3 billion business would enter this dispute without very clear goals and a plan on how to get there. The NHL has the NBA experience to work from with the same legal firm that was involved there. I speculated earlier whether there might even be a multi sport current to this dispute. Specifically the co-ownership of NBA and NHL franchises. The PA hiring Don Fehr might have spurred some of this as well.

I think a lot of those TSN guys are simply tied to ownership interests.

Why doesn't this apply to players? I think you make a great point there. I guess the players are seen as working class/cattle - as opposed to middle class management types. I see them as entertainers and contractors and think the NHL analogy is arrogant, delusional and belittling. If you want Madonna to play half-time at the Superbowl, it will cost you. If you want Shea Weber to wear (and thereby sell) your jersey, ditto.

NHL PLAYERS TO VOTE ON GIVING BOARD AUTHORITY TO DISSOLVE UNION

TORONTO -- NHL players will begin voting Sunday on whether they'll grant their executive board the authority to dissolve the NHL Players' Association.

Two-thirds of the union's membership must vote in favour of allowing the executive board to file a "disclaimer of interest," according to a source.

Votes will be cast electronically over a five-day period that ends Thursday.

Should players vote in favour of allowing the 30-member executive board to file a disclaimer, it would have until Jan. 2 to do so.

The union continued to move towards dissolving even after the league started mounting a legal challenge against it.

On Friday, the NHL filed a class-action complaint which asked a federal court in New York to make a declaration on the legality of the lockout.

In the 43-page complaint, the league argued the NHLPA was only considering the "disclaimer of interest" to "extract more favourable terms and conditions of employment."

"The union has threatened to pursue this course not because it is defunct or otherwise incapable of representing NHL players for purposes of collective bargaining, nor because NHL players are dissatisfied with the representation they have been provided by the NHLPA," read the NHL complaint.

"The NHLPA's threatened decertification or disclaimer is nothing more than an impermissable negotiating tactic, which the union incorrectly believes would enable it to commence an antitrust challenge to the NHL's lockout."

The NHL also filed an unfair labour practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

The union was quick to issue a statement on Friday night that claimed the NHL was overstepping its bounds.

"The NHL appears to be arguing that players should be stopped from even considering their right to decide whether or not to be represented by a union," it read. "We believe that their position is completely without merit."

By filing the class-action complaint in New York, the league guaranteed that the legality of the lockout would be decided in a court known to be sympathetic towards management. If the NHLPA dissolves it will seek to have the work stoppage deemed illegal -- something that could see players paid triple their lost salary in damages if successful.

The NHL's collective bargaining talks have dragged on for more than five months. The sides spent two days with a U.S. federal mediator in New Jersey this week and don't currently have any further talks scheduled.

It's common knowledge that Bettman & co. put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into planning for their regularly scheduled lockouts. There's no doubt in my mind that Proskauer Rose does as well with their amount of experience. But the interesting thing about it getting to Decert/Disclaimer territory is that no amount of advance planning can guarantee an outcome. Too much of how things will play out is to be decided based on what has happened during the lockout. What I saw last week, Gary's temper tantrum, that didn't look to me like someone for whom everything is going according to plan.

I think the NHL has established their willingness to negociate in the back and forth that has gone on since September. The fact that the PA publicly stated they were close to a deal just 2 weeks ago works against the players in any court action. Just because the NHL refuses to make the last concessions to make a deal doesn't mean they weren't negociating.

"The league has reached the point where it does not believe Fehr speaks for the players, and has hijacked the negotiations to suit his own ends." - Bill Daly, earlier in the negotiations.

....and now they're going to court seeking an injunction to force the players to keep negotiating under Donald Fehr.

another quote that seems appropriate here:

"I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you." -Leslie Nielson, Airplane! the Movie

As such, I believe the PA can argue that not only are the owners guilty of bad faith negotiations in the CBA talks, but are guilty of bad faith negotiating before the CBA talks, if not guilty of acting in collusion, by using their inside knowledge into what the NHL would be demanding (and likely getting) during the CBA negotiations to their private advantage during negotiations with individual players by signing contracts for amounts they knew they would likely never pay in full despite still expecting players to honour their side of the contract which they signed without the owners' knowledge and under the assumption that the contract would be honoured as signed

It is not uncommon for the court to give a sense of where they are leaning before their formal decision and give the parties a chance to come to their own deal. The side that senses it might not win finally gives up the concessions it needs to. It avoids putting messy precedent on the books and having the court being used as a tool.

Suckers .. it's so easy, no wonder we are all poor. Serioulsly though the fact that people make money off internet advertising is a slap in the face to the human race. Just don't look at it. Are we the that succeptible ... Really?

The fact that we have a huge marketing campain in our daily lives to sell crap to other people is hard to take. The German's would be dissapointed in the lack of efficiency at this point.

And, the fact that people make money on pop ups that run across my mind is even sadder. No wonder the the NHL lock is completely in disarray.

We are all idiots!

Edit: Oh yeah, the reason I replied is because I've heard you can change your profile so you don't get adds or something. Just don't look at them. Again, the fact humans make money off this is a freaking appalling.

Archived