The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

This will drag on until fehr is removed... I could see Kelly thrown back in last minute to represent the players. What player will risk guaranteed contracts and Put their MONEY on the line. Gamble that many high end players I don't think will want to do

are you saying Crosby would be at risk if his contract was void... he would probably be offered 20+ million a season from the rangers/leafs/ canucks if there was no rules no cap etc...same goes for all other top end talent this would be major payday for the top players in the league. even the lower end players could cash in.

It sounds funny to say, but they wouldn't be a good fit.

On the powerplay, yes.

5 on 5, well both Sedins and Crosby are players that want to play with the puck not without. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good line, but I think Booth/Burrows Crosby Kesler would be the better 5 on 5 line.

There is no doubt in my mind that the league has bargained in bad faith both before, and during the lockout. They got the money they wanted, which should have been enough at 50/50. I can't see how the NHL thinks they moved in the players direction. The starting point for negotiations is the last CBA (not the NHL first offer). All the NHL did was lower the draconian level of their demands.

A better question is, to what extent did the NHL bargain in bad faith behind closed doors? There has been a couple of owner comments outside that gag order. So, which owner(s) are going to spill the beans when the disclaimer of interest goes down? It will probably never get that far, but I can feel the sweat starting to pour from Bettman's forehead. I picture Bettman with devils horns cramming a cauldron of chilli down the owners throats, because things just got a little hotter in that board room. It's a really crappy situation, in fact it totally stinks. I hope the owners have lots of toilet paper available, just in case.

"The league has reached the point where it does not believe Fehr speaks for the players, and has hijacked the negotiations to suit his own ends." - Bill Daly, earlier in the negotiations.

....and now they're going to court seeking an injunction to force the players to keep negotiating under Donald Fehr.

another quote that seems appropriate here:

"I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you." -Leslie Nielson, Airplane! the Movie

There is no doubt in my mind that the league has bargained in bad faith both before, and during the lockout. They got the money they wanted, which should have been enough at 50/50. I can't see how the NHL thinks they moved in the players direction. The starting point for negotiations is the last CBA (not the NHL first offer). All the NHL did was lower the draconian level of their demands.

Old News;

I wouldn't dwell to long on what Art Griffith thinks. He has been out of it for so long that I doubt he really knows the inside story. He is guessing like all of us.

You seem to think there is possible lack of unity among ownership but that ignores the 'dove' walkout on the sessions last week. I find it hard to comprehend that a $3.3 billion business would enter this dispute without very clear goals and a plan on how to get there. The NHL has the NBA experience to work from with the same legal firm that was involved there. I speculated earlier whether there might even be a multi sport current to this dispute. Specifically the co-ownership of NBA and NHL franchises. The PA hiring Don Fehr might have spurred some of this as well.

I like this:"We were ready to play again," the player said, according to Denver Post and SI.com writer Adrian Dater. "But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out."Sounds like the players were ready to sign but Fehr told them to soak the owners for more!?!? Bad faith!? Sounds like it Fehr who is trying to drag this lock out on and on for some kind of personal victory! Especially since the players liked what the NHL had to offer...Hmmm

I like this:"We were ready to play again," the player said, according to Denver Post and SI.com writer Adrian Dater. "But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out."Sounds like the players were ready to sign but Fehr told them to soak the owners for more!?!? Bad faith!? Sounds like it Fehr who is trying to drag this lock out on and on for some kind of personal victory! Especially since the players liked what the NHL had to offer...Hmmm

How interesting would it be if contracts were wiped clean! Definitely exciting to think about.

But it would not be good for those teams who are suffering, they would not be able to compete with teams like the Canucks, Leafs, Rangers ect who can throw money around.

The game as a whole would greatly suffer.

Archived