The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

ARHG, sign it!!! the suspense is a killer....

50% of zero is still zero.

PLAY and get paid something, rather than not play and get paid nothing. .....if we lose the next half of the season then your highest paid guys just gave up 10m in the fight while the low end guys gave up 1m or less in the fight...and for what? To save 7% of their annual income...???????

IDIOTS listening to an EGO is all I have seen in the NHLPA this time around.

SIGN IT

In the current format, all non-playoff teams are in a draft lottery, however, the winner only goes up 5 spots. So only a team in the bottom 6 would actually get 1st overall. If a team in, let's say, 20th place won the lottery, they'd only move up to the 5th overall pick.

The new format proposes the winner getting 1st overall pick, regardless of original position.

In the current format, all non-playoff teams are in a draft lottery, however, the winner only goes up 5 spots. So only a team in the bottom 6 would actually get 1st overall. If a team in, let's say, 20th place won the lottery, they'd only move up to the 5th overall pick.

The new format proposes the winner getting 1st overall pick, regardless of original position.

I think everybody should temper their expectations. They manage to get us all excited every time, only to crush our hopes a few days later. I wouldn't be surprised if Fehr thinks he could squeeze out at least one more proposal from the league that would be better, it's still December 2012 after all, and the rumoured drop-dead date is mid-January. So I think we should all expect some back and forth here, and shouldn't be surprised if it again ends with one side storming off.

Your words:

You say you expect the owners to make concessions, yet they have really made none of any significance. Especially compared with the owners' unreasonable demands.

You then try to compare your company, which didn't make a profit, to a league that has made record profits in consecutive years. How does this compare?

Were you also asked to take a 12.3% paycut in future years? Are you also restricted from working/moving anywhere else, because you signed a 10-year contract under terms your employer is now trying to change (without giving you an opt-out)?

This is a perfect example. Employees are standing up and fighting for the rights they bargained for in good faith. Rather than support them, or at the very least respect their rights, the average Joe is telling them to suck it up, and bend over for the fat cats.

Why? Because of an in-depth understanding of the financial and legal issues? No, not at all. They just want to be entertained, and feel uncomfortable calling out the corporate elite, even when they are so obviously manipulating the situation.

That makes zero sense. We may not have an NHL without billionaires - at least, not as it is right now - but we'll always have hockey. I wonder if it would be even better...

Wrong again. The public perception towards employee rights is the basis for their existence. The more the general public begins to lose respect for them, and be comforatable with corporate bullying, the less power each of us have.

For someone with such strong feelings about organized labour negotiations, you have very little knowledge of how they work, or even what they represent. Sadly, you are in the majority.

Archived