The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Next years 2013-2014 roster might look something like this to get under the cap. Granted that Edler is in line with a raise, but I still think it can be squeezed in. We just need to bring up some of our own players from the farm.

Edit, awwwe darn, I forgot to include the Burrows raise. Still, there should be enough wiggle room.

I expect Fehr to come back with counter proposals which the NHL will walk away from. This will force the PA to ask for a final round to save the season. I suspect this is pretty much the deal. The NHL has to be worried about a fall back position for next fall.

I do believe this is where the one compliance buyout comes into play.

Since it doesn't count against the cap but against player share (which seems like a contradiction to me to create an arbitrary cap - something the PA will not want IMHO) then the teams will almost all activate that clause or trade a player to a team that will.

Let's assume the average buyout salary is $ 4 mil per season x 30 teams = $120 mil. I believe that is pretty close to the discrepancy between the make whole provision, for this year at least.

The players wont be adverse to this, I would guess, because they will get their full contract money albeit amortized and still be able to sign a UFA contract.

I expect Fehr to come back with counter proposals which the NHL will walk away from. This will force the PA to ask for a final round to save the season. I suspect this is pretty much the deal. The NHL has to be worried about a fall back position for next fall.

I was playing around with Cap Geek too. I wish they would let you do a roster for next season rather than just this one, so we could have better control over what the salaries will be for the RFAs and see the increase for Burrows.

But, long story short, I say we buy out Ballard (because I think he has less trade value than Luo, but we can give it the ole college try before committing to buying him out!), trade Luo and Booth. We call up Lack and Carrodo to replace Luo and Ballard, and see if Anaheim will trade us Max Friberg (from the EL) to replace Booth on the cheap (on the roster, not 2nd line...obviously). We'll still be bumping into some problems come next year, but if we can resign Raymond for less ($1.5M I'm thinking), we should be able to hang on to almost everyone else.

I believe for this season we get to be over the cap. It's more likely that Raymond gets traded or waived and Jensen earns a spot rather than trying to acquire Friberg who has less points in the SEL, is smaller, and the same age as Jensen. I can't see Malholtra being extended, not for 2.5m anyway. Ballard is more likely to go than Booth, and I doubt we lose both. Regardless, gives us something to think about.

I hope there is a deal. It seems to me they already agree on 50/50 split of HRR, the rest is just bs posturing regarding this and next seasons real dollars paid to players. Yeah that adds up to a cool chunk of dozens or hundreds of millions of dollars...but a full season is over a billion dollars..to lose the whole season in defense of quarter season worth of money while ultimately agreeing to the long term 50/50 split seems like a dumb thing to me, but I am not a lawyer, so whatever.

Play hockey!

Kind of how the players and owners are acting in this?

Do I expect the players to make concessions? Yes. Do I expect the owners to make concessions? Yes.

The company I work for didn't make the profit they forecast this year - because of that, none of the employees will receive a bonus.

In other words, the market is not constant so the employer can NOT guarantee how much they can share with their employees.

One thing that I dislike the most about this lockout is how the fans have divided - how fans from the same team are battling each other, how fans from the same team who choose one side and resort to name calling of each other.

I can definitely see us being able to retain Edler. It probably hinges on us losing Ballard or Booth though. Missing from this line up is Raymond, Luongo, Maholtra, Ballard. We might not have to use compliance buyout either. Florida and Toronto both have cap room for Luongo. STL or PHI could use Ballard. We just might not get much in return.

Additionally, consider that other teams will be dumping salary to get under the cap, so the market is a buyers market.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alex Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

Chris Higgins ($1.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alex Edler ($4.400m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,379,167; BONUSES: $310,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,130,833

Likely buyout candidates? These are my best guesses that would get the teams under a $60 mil cap with no other additions.

Ana - None/Under

Bos - None/Under

Buf - Leino

Cal - Bouwmeester

Car - None/Under

Chi - Frolik

Col - None/Under

Clb - None/Under

Dal - None/Under

Det - None/Under

Edm - Horcoff/Hemsky/Whitney

Fla - None/Under

LA - None/Under

Min - Heatley

Mtl - Gomez

Nas - None/Under

NJ - None/Under

NYI- None/Under

NYR - None/Under ( But still need to sign Del Zotto)

Ott - None/Under

Phi - Briere??? - If not counting Pronger the Flyers only need to shed approx $ 2mil but do not have full roster

Pho - None/Under

Pit - Martin

SJ - Havlat

Stl - None/Under

TB - Ohlund

Tor - Komisarek

Van - Ballard + ???

Was - Ward & ???

Win - None/Under

What a cursory look at the numbers shows that the Canucks are one of the few teams, along with Wash and Philly, that likely cannot get compliant with a single move but that the $60 mil cap seems highly doable for most teams.

The guys who will suffer the most are the RFAs who have not signed with their team yet. ie. Subban, Del Zotto.

Philly is at 59.8 million for 2013-14 already, with 16 players signed. Even if they shed a bunch, the following season Giroux's raise will eat up a lot. They aren't in a position to throw a ton of money around.

Detroit, however, will have a lot of room. But I'll ask you this: why would Edler jump to go there? They aren't what they once were. The Wings' key players are getting up in years (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Franzen are all as-old-or-older than the Sedins) and there aren't a lot of promising younger guys in their organization. They look headed for a rebuild in a couple of years.

Ana - None/Under

Bos - Thomas

Buf - Leino

Cal - Bouwmeester

Car - None/Under

Chi - Frolik

Col - None/Under

Clb - None/Under

Dal - None/Under

Det - None/Under

Edm - Horcoff/Hemsky/Whitney

Fla - None/Under

LA - Penner

Min - Heatley

Mtl - Gomez

Nas - None/Under

NJ - None/Under

NYI- None/Under

NYR - None/Under ( But still need to sign Del Zotto)

Ott - None/Under

Phi - Briere??? - If not counting Pronger the Flyers only need to shed approx $ 2mil but do not have full roster

Pho - None/Under

Pit - Martin

SJ - Havlat

Stl - None/Under

TB - Ohlund

Tor - Komisarek

Van - Ballard + ???

Was - Ward & Poti

Win - None/Under.

The compliance buyouts can happen up to the start of 2013-2014 season. They won't happen right now. Most would happen in the summer off-season.

Some players are not tradeable and have to be bought out.

NYR - Redden

MTL - Gomez

Others could be tradeable at discount (buyers market), and then the leftovers would have to be bought out prior to the start of the season.

I can definitely see us being able to retain Edler. It probably hinges on us losing Ballard or Booth though. Missing from this line up is Raymond, Luongo, Maholtra, Ballard. We might not have to use compliance buyout either. Florida and Toronto both have cap room for Luongo. STL or PHI could use Ballard. We just might not get much in return.

Additionally, consider that other teams will be dumping salary to get under the cap, so the market is a buyers market.

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,379,167; BONUSES: $310,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,130,833

Archived