The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Obviously they're going to take a break, this shouldn't be surprising.

Both sides have probably made their best offers by now, and now it's just a matter of the NHLPA accepting it or taking time and presenting another counter offer.

These things take time. Which is why they should have never started so late.

People also have to remember that the owners are not all likely on the same page. I'm sure they have to do their own negotiating amongst themselves. Because in reality, what Canucks ownership wants is probably not the same as what New Jersey's ownership wants.

From the sounds of it, Bettman is speaking more on behalf of the teams that are struggling, rather than the teams that are doing well. If I was one of the teams that is doing well, I would be pissed that Bettman keeps trying to throw money at teams that are doing bad, rather than addressing the real issue; which is that these teams are just in bad markets.

Not sure how the owners can cry foul on this one. Absolutely pathetic. The system works for the owners, the league as a whole is making record profit yet there is going to be a lockout. Please tell me how that makes any sense?

It's not on the table but the League has to do something about guaranteed contracts. A player signs a contract based on one or two good years of play then sucks for the length of the contract and still gets paid millions of dollars. Redden, Yashin and Horcoff come to mind.

Since the 2005 lockout, the NHL has recorded record profits. The league/owners won that lockout by a landslide, the players took the hit because they just wanted to play and get paid. It's really no big surprise now that the NHLPA is digging in it's heels and is unwilling to talk on the terms of what the league offered on Tuesday.

I really was hopeful that the league would look outside the box at the PA offer earlier this month. Other than the term, it seemed like a decent deal. But I certainly don't want to be going through this again in 4 years! That was a area that they probably could have worked out, but the league/owners have been unwilling to look at other ways to avoid this type of problem in the future.

It certainly looks like it is gonna be a long fall/winter without hockey!

God, I hate Bettman!

Archived