The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

How do you possibly get the league under a $60 million cap next year without half the teams buying out good players and dismantling their rosters?

Assume that you only carry a 22 man roster, and leave $1 million space for injury callups and plenty of teams can't even afford league minimum. (Bos, Van, Min, Phi, SJ, Chi, Mon, TB all have less than $585k per roster spot left)

Now keep in mind that even those teams that look OK with an average of $1 million available per roster spot... many of those teams need a couple top 6 forwards, at least 1 top 4 D, and even starting goalies. Also, a bunch of those teams aren't cap spending teams... so there is no one to pick up those bought out or UFA players.

Even the broke teams would need to make amnesty buyouts, and if those came out of the players' share... it would jump the escrow to a HUGE rollback.

Except we'll have to get rid of more than just Booth and Ballard. That's only 8.5 mil and we'll have to re-sign Edler, and Burrows also gets his pay raise.

We're gonna have to dump almost a quarter of our players to be cap compliant, and we don't exactly have a bunch of NHL ready prospects.

This is Bettman's way of screwing up the top teams competitiveness so that the weaker teams can have a chance to make the playoffs. Plus if they add 4 more teams to the playoffs, Bettman can make sure loser markets like Florida, Phoenix, and Columbus can make the playoffs every year.

Also I don't think they will settle at $60 mill. It will pbbly be around $62 or $63.

I think its great idea. It will keep high end players in markets that developed them or attract high end talent from the rich teams.

Suter leaving NSH won't be as easy anymore. He would not be able to leave for more money with this new CBA. Love it.

With cap at $67 mill escrow will be around 15% to 20%. With cap at $60 mill escrow would be at around 5% .

The higher cap helps players who will be UFA at end of year because they could sign for more money and everyone else share of escrow goes up to get to 50/50.

So the Sedins could end up paying $1.2 mill each into escrow at $67 mill cap or $300 k at the $60 mill cap. Guess what most of players that are already signed beyond next year want. That's right, $60 mill cap.

With cap at $67 mill escrow will be around 15% to 20%. With cap at $60 mill escrow would be at around 5% .

The higher cap helps players who will be UFA at end of year because they could sign for more money and everyone else share of escrow goes up to get to 50/50.

So the Sedins could end up paying $1.2 mill each into escrow at $67 mill cap or $300 k at the $60 mill cap. Guess what most of players that are already signed beyond next year want. That's right, $60 mill cap.

The Canucks will be fine I think. Like I said above the likes of May Ray and Malhotra and Alberts will be UFA. Take them out and put in Sauve, Schroeder and Jensen. Your saving around $3 mill.

Take out Ballard and Booth and trade Lu and you've got another $14 mill off the books. I don't think its as bad.

You do have to replace those players though.... and having a team full of non-elite rookies isn't exactly a winning recipe:

Here is the example putting in Burrows already signed raise, and moving Edler up a very modest $500k from his current salary (in a depressed market he couldn't get $5 million). If you buy out Booth you have to find someone else at probably a similar or worse salary. If you can re-sign Higgins and Lapierre to the same deals, and slot in minimum wage plugs in place of Weise, Ebbett, and Volpatti (or re-sign them to the same deals) this is still a crappy roster by most accounts and it doesn't leave you a cent for injury callups.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.750m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

Yann Sauve ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,004,167; BONUSES: $237,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $0

Those numbers assume that there isn't a dip in revenue... it could easily be worse escrow. Make whole gives some of it back though.

I don't think you give the players enough credit though, they don't want to completely screw all their fellow players by having anyone with contracts coming up in the next 2 summers have to make less than $1 million per year.

You do have to replace those players though.... and having a team full of non-elite rookies isn't exactly a winning recipe:

Here is the example:

- putting in Burrows already signed raise

- moving Edler up a very modest $500k from his current salary (in a depressed market he couldn't get $5 million).

- If you buy out Booth you have to find someone else at probably a similar or worse salary.

- Re-sign Higgins and Lapierre to the same deals

- slot in minimum wage plugs in place of Weise, Ebbett, and Volpatti (or re-sign them to the same deals)

- Give Tanev a slight raise to $1.4 million

You would be unlikely to even get these guys signed for these contract amounts, and even if you could, this is still a crappy roster by most accounts. Not only does it not give you the $2 million you need for injury callups... but also doesn't even fit under the cap.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.750m)

Chris Tanev ($1.300m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

Yann Sauve ($0.875m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $60,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,404,167; BONUSES: $237,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $0

Also I don't think they will settle at $60 mill. It will pbbly be around $62 or $63.

I think its great idea. It will keep high end players in markets that developed them or attract high end talent from the rich teams.

Suter leaving NSH won't be as easy anymore. He would not be able to leave for more money with this new CBA. Love it.

The issues remaining seem to be smaller ones. The whole thing has been a tactical game. The NHL has held out as long as they can before committing to a deal. Each of the remaining issues will pretty much get met half way. The NHL is still holding out on certain things, but they will start moving over the next 7 days in order to close the deal.

Basically the shortened season is on. Good luck Canucks!

"But if you think about it, Jensen only has to be as good as Raymond, and Schroeder has to be as good as Malhotra or Hodgson, which time will tell.

I think Tanev can be as good as Ballard, but beyond that I think our depth on D will be significantly weaker if we don't make some upgrades."

Dear me, talk about fantasy hockey. DN you've been spending too much time on this lockout bull, your hockey judgement has just evaporated.

These 3 "only has to be as good as" are never going to happen. Not for a good few years at any rate.

Jensen is 4 years away from coming near to Raymond. (on a bad day)

As for putting Schroeder in Malhotra's or Hodgson's shoes, have you been watching the Wolves? (I know you have been which makes your statement even more jaw dropping)

I like the way you leave the best till last. Tanev "might" one day show Ballard's skills, speed, pushback, shot, stretch pass, checking ability..........but not in the next 5 years, if that.

I like optimism as much as the next guy but COME ON!

Archived