The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

It's 30% variance year to year. So a deal could start at 10m in the first year and drop to 7m in the second. It's more for cap hit compliance, and I suppose it could work for UFA's in their early 30s who would make virtually nothing by the end of the deal.

It's 30% variance year to year. So a deal could start at 10m in the first year and drop to 7m in the second. It's more for cap hit compliance, and I suppose it could work for UFA's in their early 30s who would make virtually nothing by the end of the deal.

The issue's in this league run way deeper than anything this CBA could fix, the NHL keeps trying to take from the players to fix there mistakes.

There is no reason this should be pinned on the players if we don't start a season, they just try to protect what they have left, guarenteed contracts will go out the window.

Changing this cap won't fix anything, we will be right back here again at the end of the next CBA, when the big market teams push the cap up again.

I don't know why Raymond is creeping into this CBA talk but i will say here now that I don't like him as a Canuck..I wish he stayed on his feet and was tougher/stronger. That last wraparound he tried and failed at staying on his skates finished him off as a potential for me...now he is older than a young up and comer and he still hasn't arrived...so he is, for me, a plug.

I don't know why Raymond is creeping into this CBA talk but i will say here now that I don't like him as a Canuck..I wish he stayed on his feet and was tougher/stronger. That last wraparound he tried and failed at staying on his skates finished him off as a potential for me...now he is older than a young up and comer and he still hasn't arrived...so he is, for me, a plug.

If they don't get a deal done now, it will be all on the players.

These guys have to realize that they've had it pretty good for the last little while, but it wasn't going to continue forever. The rest of the world is in a recession, and alot of people don't even have jobs.

Just check your egos and sign a deal. They're going to be making more than they could be playing anywhere else, or doing anything else. Passing up a full years pay because of principle is not a smart thing.

I understand that. But the issues the NHL has right now are real, and they need to be addressed. The only way to do that in the next year or two is to reduce player salaries.

The only real way to fix the problem, is to get teams out of weak markets. That isn't something the league can do overnight, it takes years and years. They have to make sure they have good owners and proper arenas in place in the markets they want to move to.

They managed to move Atlanta pretty darn fast. I think it is incorrect to say that lowering player salary is the only way to fix things.

As you know and continue to disregard... there is plenty of money overall in the NHL pot. The owners can re-allocate those profits around to give them time to get their league-wide finances in order. that reallocation can happen immediately.

The bottom end teams are doing really well out of this agreement. Some increase in revenue sharing; much lower cap floor; ability to retain cap space/salary (meaning they can get a lot of good players being dumped by cap ceiling teams for next to nothing).

Just for the record, and this is under the assumption that you were saying that Raymond should have a lower +/- because he's on the PK, which I may have misunderstood, players on the PK don't receive minuses when they are scored against, and players on the PP don't receive pluses when they score.

Archived