The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

I think we all agree on that, although there's certainly some discussion on how best to eliminate cap circumvention and back diving contracts without unnecessarily punishing players and limited GM creativity. The players have agreed to less of the pie and realize future contracts will be signed for less as a result. They do ask the NHL is honest about HRR and stand behind contract agreements they made knowing full well the financial standing of the league despite record revenues over the last CBA. I don't think that's too much to ask.

There is one MASSIVE flaw with the players trying to say the NHL was trying to pull a fast one.

....the fact that Fehr won't comment, and the fact that they're not releasing anything or showing anything, just makes it seem like an attempt to smear and an excuse to start up another DOI/decertification vote.

There is one MASSIVE flaw with the players trying to say the NHL was trying to pull a fast one.

If the NHLPA released the documents, and pointed this out, they could crap all over the NHL in the press and everything. They'd have the NHL's balls in a vice. But the fact that Fehr won't comment, and the fact that they're not releasing anything or showing anything, just makes it seem like an attempt to smear and an excuse to start up another DOI/decertification vote.

I don't see putting limits on contract terms as "punishing the players". I see it as ensuring the integrity of the salary cap. The "for life" deals allow those teams to exceed the cap in payroll which in turn drives salaries upwards. Which in turn makes it difficult for the teams already losing money to retain players they've developed and compete. The whole idea of a salary cap is to create a level playing field. Allowing deals that circumvent the cap defeats the purpose of the cap. Without restrictions on contract terms you may as well do away with the false cap and let the money teams dominate the league as they did before the cap.

Archived